Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering purchasing a firearm for my 20 year old daughter. She's mostly away at college and has not yet had the opportunity to go to the range with her dad and myself.

She's very willing to learn the techniques of handling and all legalities associated with ownership and use however I hope reality does not dissuade her from accomplishing this task. Obviously she only has no clue of what being in a range is all about.

The world seems to be getting crazier everyday and as I ease my child out into life's realities, I believe it's my duty and responsibility as a parent to educate her on adequate protection. Firearms are new to our family so I need suggestions for the best course of action.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mom, one approach you might well consider is making it possible for your daughter (and your entire new to firearms family) to obtain proper training by a NRA certified Personal Protection Trainer.

Not only for lessons in how to physically handle a firearm, but also to learn of the potential consequences in advance for displaying that firearm, and God forbid, pulling that trigger.

Owning and carrying a firearm is an awesome responsibility that should not be considered lightly.

The need for education in its use can certainly be right up there with English Lit 101, wouldn't you think?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think a firearm recomentation is easier than the laws that your daughter will have to contend with while at school. If she lives on campus there is no way that she can have a gun legally with her. If she lives off campus then she can have one for home protection. I dont think she can travel with it in her car to school. Before you get her a firearm go over all the firearm laws for this state.

Once she has gotten the training and know the laws then I would suggest a Glock26. The reason is the size an weight. Some might recommend a smaller caliber weapon but if she can manage that weapon then she has got the fire power of a 9mm. You might want to take her to the range and try out many weapons to find the ones that fits the best. Good luck.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Being that she is currently under 21...in order to avoid questionable issues...I would recommend a nice 20g shotgun for the meantime if she is living off-campus.

mjrodney had a good suggestion as to the NRA training...and obviously...she could go ahead and start additional firearms/self defense training in anticipation of possibly being able to eventually carry a gun.

I'd also recommend she (and anyone for that matter) look into a martial art known as Krav Maga. It was developed for the Israeli military and rather that being a traditional martial art that has katas and whatnot...it is like a form of mixed martial arts (MMA) that has some very simple to learn defensive techniques that are very effective.

For what it's worth...Krav Maga is not for the faint of heart...it is for people that want to survive and will do what it takes to do so...and that's actually the beauty of this system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I cannot improve on the recommendations already made, but there is one thing I wish to add:
THANK YOU!!
My own dear Mother was of a similar mind set as your honored self; she knew the world to be a dangerous place, and took precautions to keep herself and her young, safe.
You are to be commended for thinking ahead on behalf of your daughter!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Get her the gun,
Get her some training.
She doesn't have to be 21 to have a gun in Florida.
She may have a problem with the school if she lives on campus.

I sent my girl off to U of F right after the Gainesville slasher was caught.
You better believe she was armed.
Did she carry? I don't know. I hope she did.

AFS

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
I was told at my CCW class that carrying a pocket knife is considered carrying a concealed weapon, in FL, no matter what size. If you don't feel comfortable with a gun, try a knife. I personally would go with the gun because the knife means if she is being attacked, a knife is just too close and she could hurt herself with it.

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
I was told at my CCW class that carrying a pocket knife is considered carrying a concealed weapon, in FL, no matter what size. If you don't feel comfortable with a gun, try a knife. I personally would go with the gun because the knife means if she is being attacked, a knife is just too close and she could hurt herself with it.
A Common everyday Pocketknife is not considered to be a concealed weapon. if fact that you can carry its the longer kniives as i posted on another thread this book is awesome answers just about all questions.www.firearmslaw.com

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Orlando,

Just going by what I was told. I even had my knife clipped to my pocket as I see a lot of other guys. Because my shirt covered it, the instructor, who is also a police officer down here, told the class it was considered a concealed weapon. He asked the ladies is the class how many had pen knives in their purses and 9 of the 11 raised there hands and he promptly told them that they were carrying a concealed weapon as well according to Florida law. I'm not here to argue one way or other because they are so common. All the guys I know carry some sort of pocket knife. Heck, I been carrying one since I was 7 years old myself (not at school though).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Kudos to you Momg26.

Training is the utmost important advice one could give a beginning shooter. Training is knowledge and knowing is living. Knowledgeable people tend to live longer than the average bear. Damn I hope to live to at least 90 something.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Orlando,

Just going by what I was told. I even had my knife clipped to my pocket as I see a lot of other guys. Because my shirt covered it, the instructor, who is also a police officer down here, told the class it was considered a concealed weapon. He asked the ladies is the class how many had pen knives in their purses and 9 of the 11 raised there hands and he promptly told them that they were carrying a concealed weapon as well according to Florida law. I'm not here to argue one way or other because they are so common. All the guys I know carry some sort of pocket knife. Heck, I been carrying one since I was 7 years old myself (not at school though).
Unfortunately, I think you've been given inaccurate information, as far as pocketknives are concerned.

Play it safe...just get your FL concealed permit, and you won't have to worry about it :)

-JT

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Cthulhu,

I think you're right. He told the class that if asked by an LEO for our bill of sale for the conceale gun, we needed to be able to produce it (if stopped/pulled over) or we could end up loosing the gun. I called the state on this one and one of the supervisors that review the final paperwork before sending the permits says that they had never heard of anything like that. I read and re-read the statutes a couple of times and no where could I find this info either. This instructor was an LEO so I think most of us took what he said for face value.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Unfortunately, in order for you to get your permit in FL, the instructor needs to inform you of the 790.06 FL Statutes, which doesn't directly cover what is and is not considered a 'common pocketknife', nor does it cover sale of firearms.

I mean no disrespect to any LEO here, but the first instructor I had made a good point that, for the most part, still holds true: two things you don't ask for advice about from a police officer are guns and the law.

While we would like our instructors for the permit courses to be fluent in the laws concerning concealed carry, use of force, etc., that's not always the case...more so in the past than now. I think it's improved quite a bit over the years.

The important thing is to learn the laws yourself and become familiar with them. I think Gutmacher's book on FL firearms laws should be required for anyone seeking their permit in FL.

Aaaaand, in a pathetic attempt to get this back on task, I hope the OP is available to find a competent instructor for her daughter...one that is fluent in weapons and weapon carry, as well as the laws concerning same. If at all possible, get recommendations from former students instead of blindly picking a number out of a phonebook or something.

-JT

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
Unfortunately, in order for you to get your permit in FL, the instructor needs to inform you of the 790.06 FL Statutes, which doesn't directly cover what is and is not considered a 'common pocketknife', nor does it cover sale of firearms.

I mean no disrespect to any LEO here, but the first instructor I had made a good point that, for the most part, still holds true: two things you don't ask for advice about from a police officer are guns and the law.

While we would like our instructors for the permit courses to be fluent in the laws concerning concealed carry, use of force, etc., that's not always the case...more so in the past than now. I think it's improved quite a bit over the years.

The important thing is to learn the laws yourself and become familiar with them. I think Gutmacher's book on FL firearms laws should be required for anyone seeking their permit in FL.

Aaaaand, in a pathetic attempt to get this back on task, I hope the OP is available to find a competent instructor for her daughter...one that is fluent in weapons and weapon carry, as well as the laws concerning same. If at all possible, get recommendations from former students instead of blindly picking a number out of a phonebook or something.

-JT

Floridafirearmslaw is the book i refer to when i have a question about something in regard to concealment self-defence i'm sorry if i made it seemlike i stepped on anyones toes wasn't my intention.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
I'm considering purchasing a firearm for my 20 year old daughter. She's mostly away at college and has not yet had the opportunity to go to the range with her dad and myself.

She's very willing to learn the techniques of handling and all legalities associated with ownership and use however I hope reality does not dissuade her from accomplishing this task. Obviously she only has no clue of what being in a range is all about.

The world seems to be getting crazier everyday and as I ease my child out into life's realities, I believe it's my duty and responsibility as a parent to educate her on adequate protection. Firearms are new to our family so I need suggestions for the best course of action.

Thanks in advance.
Mom-g26,

Your intentions are admirable, but below are the Florida laws which will pertain to your daughter ....

The 2007 Florida Statutes

Title XLVI
CRIMES Chapter 790
WEAPONS AND FIREARMS

790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.--

(1) The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is authorized to issue licenses to carry concealed weapons or concealed firearms to persons qualified as provided in this section.

(2) The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services shall issue a license if the applicant:

(b) Is 21 years of age or older;

12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into , public school district, municipality, or special district; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any elementary or secondary school facility; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;

Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

Your daughter can get her Concealed Weapon License when she turns 21.

If she lives off campus, she can keep it on her anywhere which is within the law. ( I did not post all of the restrictions applicable )

If she is going to live on campus, OR when she is on campus, I suggest she carry a stun gun ( which does NOT fire a dart or projectile ).

I am sorry to put a damper on your plans. As far as I am concerned, Concealed Weapon License holders SHOULD be allowed to carry on campus.

We saw what happened at the " Gun-Free " zone at Virginia Tech.

Good luck to both you and your daughter.

:thumsup

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
I gave my daughter this when she turned 18...

and a Glock 19 when she turned 21. Now she and her hubby both have their CCWs.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Orlando,

That's the problem with getting legal (or gun) advice from police officers. Most people assume that they are "trained experts", which couldn't be further from the truth. They're trained not to get the city/county/state sued. Other than that they don't receive any more training in the law or in firearms than you could get by simply going to the state legislature website and reading the laws yourself, or going through a basic weekend course at your local gun range. Generally, they're not lawyers and they're not firearms experts. He had it completely backward. According to Florida law, a pocket knife is NOT considered a weapon for purposes of concealed carry.

790.001 Definitions--As used in this chapter, except where the context otherwise requires:
(13) "Weapon" means any dirk, knife, metallic knuckles, slungshot, billie, tear gas gun, chemical weapon or device, or other deadly weapon except a firearm or a common pocketknife, plastic knife, or blunt-bladed table knife.
Firearms are not included because they have specific laws that pertain to them and not other weapons. The others are not considered weapons at all until and unless you attack someone with one. Any "common pocketknife" (a knife with a blade that folds into the handle and is carried in the pocket, that doesn't have unusual features like a handguard) is legal to carry, openly or concealed, in Florida, even without a license. However, there are some limitations, such as schools, where even they are prohibited.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Mom-g26,

Your intentions are admirable, but below are the Florida laws which will pertain to your daughter ....

The 2007 Florida Statutes

Title XLVI
CRIMES Chapter 790
WEAPONS AND FIREARMS

790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.--

(1) The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is authorized to issue licenses to carry concealed weapons or concealed firearms to persons qualified as provided in this section.

(2) The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services shall issue a license if the applicant:

(b) Is 21 years of age or older;

12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into , public school district, municipality, or special district; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any elementary or secondary school facility; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;

Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

Your daughter can get her Concealed Weapon License when she turns 21.

If she lives off campus, she can keep it on her anywhere which is within the law. ( I did not post all of the restrictions applicable )

If she is going to live on campus, OR when she is on campus, I suggest she carry a stun gun ( which does NOT fire a dart or projectile ).

I am sorry to put a damper on your plans. As far as I am concerned, Concealed Weapon License holders SHOULD be allowed to carry on campus.

We saw what happened at the " Gun-Free " zone at Virginia Tech.

Good luck to both you and your daughter.

:thumsup
Absolutely right. On campus, you're pretty much restricted to virtually nothing with which you can defend yourself - not even OC spray. An electric stun-gun is better than nothing, but if she carries one she needs to be aware that when you use one you need to RUN, because they won't leave the target disabled; they're only disabling while they're activated. As soon as they are switched off or lose contact with the target, he or she will be fully capable (though maybe not motivated:eek:) of continuing the attack. You should also be aware that violating this law is only a misdemeanor if you have a concealed weapons license (which she's too young to have). For anyone without the license, it's a felony. This is a law that desperately needs changing.

Off-campus she can have a gun, but she can't purchase a handgun from a dealer (though she can own one), and she can't carry outside her home until she gets her CCW.

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
Absolutely right. On campus, you're pretty much restricted to virtually nothing with which you can defend yourself - not even OC spray...

...You should also be aware that violating this law is only a misdemeanor if you have a concealed weapons license (which she's too young to have). For anyone without the license, it's a felony. This is a law that desperately needs changing.
Wow, I had no idea it was so restrictive that even OC spray was a no-no.

But I doubt that there's a State Attorney in Florida who is brave enough to prosecute a female college student for fending off a rapist with pepper spray on a college campus...unless, of course, he isn't seeking re-election. :doh

·
Registered
480 Posts
OC spray of two ounces or less is not considered a weapon under Florida law. It's specifically defined as a "self-defense chemical spray."
Florida Statutes 790.001, Definitions

There's also no prohibition in the law to carrying more than one "self-defense chemical spray" at a time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts