Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Administrator
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm more of a pistol kind of person but I'm currently in the market for a AR15 or a shotgun but before I get one or the other I would like to know what are the pros and cons between the two. Is the AR15 practical for home defense and home much fun is shotgun at the range. What are the concerns with both.

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
Greetings from Manhattan. I'm finishing up a week long business trip and I am catching up on the recent posts.

You ask an interesting question. I will preface this by saying i am also experienced with pistols and revolvers and I am just about to make a couple of new purchases, namely an AR and a shotgun. Over the last several months I have been doing my research in trying to decide what I wanted while trying to keep in mind what was practical for my needs.

There will be plenty of opinions as you will no doubt expect, so I just offer this as my humble point of view on the subject.

I feel the AR is certainly a formidable home defense weapon, but I would say that you must be very mindful of the penetration of the round. For this reason I don't see it as practical for living in a condo. Also in close quarters, wielding a rifle might be more problematic than a pistol. That said, I've been looking into Rock River Arms and LMT.

The shotgun will give you massive firepower, and in my opinion might be ideal if configured correctly for home defense. Since I want to do duck hunting, I am leaning toward a Benelli Super Black Eagle II, but for home defense, the Remington 870 or any of a number of other makers seem to be favored and they are quite affordable.

I have only fired a shotgun in the course of duck hunting, so I can't tell you how much fun it is at a range.

If you live in the South Florida area, I'll be seeing you at Markham Park, as I believe that might be the only place to practice.

·
Administrator
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel the AR is certainly a formidable home defense weapon, but I would say that you must be very mindful of the penetration of the round. For this reason I don't see it as practical for living in a condo. Also in close quarters, wielding a rifle might be more problematic than a pistol. That said, I've been looking into Rock River Arms and LMT.

The shotgun will give you massive firepower, and in my opinion might be ideal if configured correctly for home defense. Since I want to do duck hunting, I am leaning toward a Benelli Super Black Eagle II, but for home defense, the Remington 870 or any of a number of other makers seem to be favored and they are quite affordable.
Thanks for the info FLRon. I have decide that I will eventually get both but to justify this I'll get a Mossberg 500 J.I.C.™ (Just In Case) Shotgun. I've seen it for as cheap as $320. Later I'll get the AR15 as one can never have enough firepower. The Mossberg JIC should satisfy the home defense need.

How does it feel to be unarmed in Manhattan :eek:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
I'm home! I grew up in NYC and lived in Manhattan for the past 18 years and I never felt the need to carry. Perhaps it was just what I was used to, or that the culture there is so anti gun. Only criminals and cops carry, so concealed carry is virtually impossible.

As far as around this neck of the woods, the first thing I did before I ran out to do some food shopping was slip my S&W in my pocket, and it felt good.

Have you decided on which AR you are favoring? I have a bad feeling about our future ability to purchase these sort of weapons, so I'm going to place my order in the next few weeks.

That shotgun looks ideal.

·
Administrator
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you decided on which AR you are favoring? I have a bad feeling about our future ability to purchase these sort of weapons, so I'm going to place my order in the next few weeks.
My AR research is still in the early stages so nothing specific yet. I was checking out Bushmaster Home Defense series AR. Any advise on any particular manufacturer.

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
My gun guru is steering me toward Rock River Arms. The model is the CAR A-4. Here is the link. I will probably go with this, as you can order it exactly as you want. I'll just add a Eotech 512.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=223

The other two I had interest in was the Colt 6920 and the LMT.

Here is LMT's webpage.
http://www.lewismachine.net/

Colt's webpage.
http://www.colt.com/law/lecarbine.asp

Here's another good site to check out.
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?display=home

I enjoy the learning process and I'll probably take some classes to get proficient with it.

Are you anywhere near the Broward area? There is a really good guy (Guntech) that I like to give my business to that I will check with before I place any orders. If he is competitive, I like to support the good gun shops in the area. Every time I go in there he is building lot's of AR's for the police in the area.

·
Administrator
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info. This will definately aid my research. I'm about 50 miles north of you but for a good deal its a easy drive when I'm ready to purchase the AR.

·
Registered
297 Posts
If you go with an AR...build your own.

I did...with nothing but a bunch of reading and printed out instructions. You get the benefit of knowing your rifle intimately.

I used a Spikes Tactical lower and an assembled upper from Del-Ton. It's a great rifle and I have acquired another stripped lower from Spikes to build another rifle when I can afford to.

I prefer a shotgun for home defense...for the penetration issue...and for the sheer intimidation factor. I have owned a Mossberg 500 with an 18" barrel for over 20 years...and recently bought a used Remington 870 with a longer hunting barrel...but I will be looking for a short barrel for it too.

I load out my 12g with 2- 3" magnum 00 buck...and then 3- slugs...loaded in that order...so fired in reverse.
I do this so I can fire focused shots (aimed)....and then if that has not been effective...then the last shots will be the buck.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
If you go with an AR...build your own.

I did...with nothing but a bunch of reading and printed out instructions. You get the benefit of knowing your rifle intimately.

I used a Spikes Tactical lower and an assembled upper from Del-Ton. It's a great rifle and I have acquired another stripped lower from Spikes to build another rifle when I can afford to.
That's the route I'm going. Purchased a Spike's lower and picking it up at next Orlando gun show. I'll get to learn a bit as I assemble the rifle, and I'll be able to buy the parts I want as I can afford them. It'll be a little more expensive in the long run, but I'll get what I want.

-JT

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
Thanks for all the info. This will definately aid my research. I'm about 50 miles north of you but for a good deal its a easy drive when I'm ready to purchase the AR.
Finally took the plunge today after all the reading and research. I ordered the LMT 16" with the Eotech 512 and Troy back up iron flip-up sights from Larue.

It was a bit of an education finding a good dealer, but I chose Rainier Arms. I had to waste time with two companys before I found someone that seemed even interested in my business. I guess so many people are buying these rifles that they can barely answer the telephone. Once you decide which manufacturer you want, you can narrow down your choices.

The AR15 Forum has a wealth of information. There is so much info there, it's overwhelming. If I can be of any help, let me know.

Ron

·
Administrator
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally took the plunge today after all the reading and research. I ordered the LMT 16" with the Eotech 512 and Troy back up iron flip-up sights from Larue.
Be sure to post some pics when your new "baby" arrive. :rifle

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
Well it's a pretty exciting day over here. I just picked up my new LMT and mounted the Eotech and Troy BUIS. Now it's time to work real hard so I can afford ammo. -lol

This is my rifle.
There are many like it, but this one is MINE.
My rifle is my best friend. It is my life.
I must master it as I must master my life.
My rifle without me is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless.
I must fire my rifle true.
I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me.
I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...
My rifle and myself know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire,
the noise of our bursts, nor the smoke we make.
We know it is the hits that count. We will hit...
My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life.
Thus, I will learn it as a brother.
I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories,
its sights, and its barrel.
I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage.
I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready.
We will become part of each other. We will...
Before God I swear this creed.
My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country.
We are the masters of our enemy.
We are the saviors of my life.
So be it, until there is no enemy, but PEACE
.​

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Hey Ron, thats awesome. I'm seriously considering one of those to add to my new collection.

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
Thanks NK! It's definitely a learning curve getting into rifles and all the details that come with. From learning it's operation, safety and handling, cleaning and all the options in how you want to get it setup, there's a lot to get up to speed on.

If I can offer you any help/links to make your research easier, let me know.

Ron

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Fun at the range depends on what your local range allows. As long as I use target loads, I can pretty much set up targets as I want and shoot them IPSC/IDPA style.

IF I had a shotgun.

One day.

Personally, I've decided on building my own AR, and will be picking up my stripped lower in a week or so. Could be adequate for home defense, and building my own appeals to the geek in me.

Who am I kidding? The geek is all over me.

-JT

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
Geekiness is just fine! The more you get involved in the intricacies of your weapons, the more you learn. I personally find the research and learning aspect of firearms ownership to be as enjoyable as range time.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
All I can say is NIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCEEEEEEE. I may have to ask Santa for one for Christmas. I know she will say didn't you just buy a new gun? To which I will reply (see my list below):

1) Explain that guns are "man jewelry". You don't "need" guns, but if she really loves you she'll get guns for you.

2) If you can take a "home security" slant on any gun, do so.

3) Get her relatives involved in shooting/hunting. Hunting becomes an opportunity to bond with her family.

4) Get a TC Encore/Contender...no matter how many barrels you get its still technically only one gun.

5) Get her into hunting/shooting. My wife wants to do some skeet/trap shooting...here comes the 20 gauge autoloader. This may be a mistake in the long run, consider this option carefully before proceeding. You loose her ignorance, which is a great ally to your gun collecting.

6) Have multiple cases and keep the combination to your safe to yourself.

7) Have a designated "man" area. Keep it messy, or at least looking messy so that she can't stand being around it. This is your area, the place you need to be messy so that you can keep the rest of your house clean. This is where you keep guns. An unfinished corner of a basement, garage, or a shed is perfect.

8) Have her work evening/weekend shifts if possible. This makes covert gun purchases very easy.

9) Stretch the truth and say that it’s illegal to sell a gun without an expensive license.

10) Buy guns for children/future children.

11) Get a better paying job that does not cut into your hunting/shooting time. Disposable income = more guns.

Any man who thinks that its "sissy" to use your wife's emotions to get guns is a fool. You need to make it clear that the way she can express her love to you is buy "letting" you go on that hunting/fishing trip or buy that gun/scope/fishing rod/fish finder/etc.

I also use the old "I think we're prosperous and every time I think we are prosperous I think back to every time we've been prosperous and at those times I bought a gun.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey Red Dawg, you forgot the best one.
12) She gets to buy all those pairs of shoes without you complaining so she should not complain about your guns.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Yardman, I guess that will be a good addition to the list. See, this is an educational site too!!!!!!!!1:laughing

1 - 20 of 53 Posts