Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be picking up my Spike's Tactical AR lower in a couple of weeks, and will...very slowly...be building my own rifle up over time.

So far, I've decided on:
  • 5.56mm chambering
  • 1:7 twist barrel
  • A3/flat-top upper

I like the flexibility of being able to use either .223 Rem or 5.56mm with the 5.56mm chambering.

As I understand it, the 1:7 twist barrel would be more suitable for longer/heavier bullets. However, I'm not too sure how it would handle lighter (say, 55 gr) bullets.

I'm not sure on carbine or mid-length, but I'm thinking carbine.

I'm also thinking single-stage trigger, mainly for cost. I'm not sure if having a two-stage trigger would justify the additional money.

Thoughts? Advice? Criticisms? Mockery?

-JT

·
Administrator
806 Posts
I hope you take pics of the process as you go step by step. Then you can post them for us who have never build an AR before. This will give us an idea of the amount of work involved.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Here's my youngest son holding the Spikes based AR I built last summer.

Here's a phone camera shot of what I started with...I have since replaced it with a lower that I built myself.

The 1:7 twist is fairly standard and shoots 55g bullets just fine.

I have also recently installed a Dark Earth M4 style foregrip and am planning on ordering another CAA 6 position stock like I currently have in Dark Earth also...since I plan on building up another one of my lowers in the near future...I don't (won't) really have "spare" parts... :)

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
Floridacc... i saw a complete link of how to build an AR with pictures on another site. Would reposting it here be within the rules, or just a link to the the page?

·
Administrator
806 Posts
Floridacc... i saw a complete link of how to build an AR with pictures on another site. Would reposting it here be within the rules, or just a link to the the page?
Hey FLRon go ahead and post that link. I'm not sure if the other website would want their article reported elsewhere. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trigger Question

For those who've used them before, advantages/disadvantages of a 2-stage trigger over a single stage?

With my inexpert I, it seems like a 2-stage would have a shorter reset, since the sear only moves in the last bit of trigger travel. Disadvantages seem to be longer take up, and possibly more parts that could go wrong? And price.

-JT

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
I will preface this by saying I am new to the AR scene, so I can't offer you first hand advice but rather information from what I have gleaned by doing a fair amount of research on the topic.

You need to determine what you primary use for your AR will be. If it is CQB, varmint hunting, game hunting, precision, competition, long range, extended range, etc.

Once you determine that you can better determine what would be best. If it would be tactical or home defense, I would probably opt for a good quality single stage trigger. If it is precision shooting, a high quality adjustable 2-stage seems appropriate.

Here is a great link to a detailed discussion on triggers. The author also compares many of the popular after market triggers on the market, so you can get a real good idea about each before you plunk down your money.

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=366464

·
Registered
64 Posts
Every day I'd watch them beauties roll by and sometimes I'd hang my head and cry, cause I always wanted me one that was long and black. One day I devised myself a plan that should be the envy of most any man, I'd sneak it out of there in a lunch box in my hand. Now, gettin caught meant gettin fired, but I figured I'd have it all by the time I retired. I'd have me a AR worth at least a hundred grand. I'd get it one piece at a time and it wouldn't cost me a dime, you'll know it's me when I come through your town. I'm gonna shoot around in style, I'm gonna drive everybody wild, cause I'll have the only one there is around.

...no really take your time building one all the bells and whistles are nice but get good quality parts while its not banned!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cthulhu keep us posted. Let me know if you run into any problems. I have built 5 ar's so far. The was a recce on a Spike's lower.

Chuck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts