Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so the backpack gun thread got me thinking and Googling. Scary.

Is it legal in Florida to add a forward assist grip to an AR15 pistol? I‘ve read that it is not, of course that was on the internet so it’s gotta be true. But now I’m questioning why it wouldn’t be? :unsure:

I’m thinking that if the gun was built as a pistol, (doesn’t meet the barrel length or overall length for a rifle and doesn’t have a shoulder stock) and was designed as a pistol with a forearm brace to begin with, then a vertical assist grip would not be of any issue.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,138 Posts
To my understanding a forward vertical grip is not legal on a firearm registered as a pistol. But, an angled fore grip is. Confusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I wish I knew a legitimate answer for you. My gut says don’t do it but I would reach out to ATF for their guidance.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
To my understanding a forward vertical grip is not legal on a firearm registered as a pistol. But, an angled fore grip is. Confusing.

What about a "Tac-Sac" grip.
Those are angled... sort of.

This "forward grip" restriction is right up there with some of the most idiotic gun laws ever foisted on Americans.
It is absurd to the core, and downright laughable.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks folks. Anduril, I’ll be passing on the Tac-Sac, but I thank you for the suggestion. :LOL:

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Can’t you just have a foldable grip & fix it so it won’t go vertical ..... say 89.9 degrees! 🤣

·
Registered
6,138 Posts
I wouldn’t chance it. They do make quick release mounts tho.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
It is my interpretation (IANAL) after reading ATF letters, that putting a vertical grip on an AR15 pistol, that has an overall length of less than 26 inches, makes it an Any- Other-Weopon (AOW) and subject to the purview and restrictions of the NFA34.

In other word it converts the handgun/pistol from a firearm designed to shoot with one hand, to a firearm re-designed to shoot with two hands.

There is one federal circuit court that has ruled otherwise but that opinion only applies to that circuit.

ATF has ruled that angle for grips are OK.

Yea, I know logic and common sense does not apply to ATF rulings, but I believe this is their current position. I act accordingly.

ps. if you have a folding brace, be careful how you measure the OAL of 26 inches. See the applicable ATF letters.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TTL, it was the AOW part I read somewhere that made things very fuzzy for me and not sure how that works.

Thank you all for the clarification on this. I’ll be leaving the forward assist off a pistol AR15. My life is full of enough surprises without adding that complication.

So that brings up a second question on the forward assist grip. If you had a SBR and you went the legal route with the tax stamp and papers on it, then would it matter putting it on if the overall length was under the 26” or because it is a SBR with the correct paperwork, ATF wouldn’t care?

Thank you all for the great info and points of view. (y)

·
Super Moderator
27,083 Posts
Great job T2TL for using "designed" since there's no "registration" for a semi-auto pistol (AR or otherwise) in Florida. 🤠

Reactions: joecarry

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
TTL, it was the AOW part I read somewhere that made things very fuzzy for me and not sure how that works.

Thank you all for the clarification on this. I’ll be leaving the forward assist off a pistol AR15. My life is full of enough surprises without adding that complication.

So that brings up a second question on the forward assist grip. If you had a SBR and you went the legal route with the tax stamp and papers on it, then would it matter putting it on if the overall length was under the 26” or because it is a SBR with the correct paperwork, ATF wouldn’t care?

Thank you all for the great info and points of view. (y)
If you have an ATF registered SBR then you can put a vertical foregrip on it regardless of OAL because it is a "rifle" and the re-design restriction applies to pistols.

Once you have the Form 1 or Form 4 in hand, you can do almost anything with the registered gun except converting it to a "machine gun."

And once you have a registered SBR, that opens up the door to having lots of pieces and part lying around with out concern for "constructive possession." The key to avoiding the legal problems of constructive possession is to have a legal way of utilized all parts in your possession. With an registered SBR and an SBS, you can own all the stocks and barrels you want. Just don't actually make an illegal gun and you are golden.

Since I own registered SBRs and SBSs I feel safe playing with the configurations of my AR15 pistols and NON-NFA14 inch 12g firearms (shockwaves) as long as I pay attention to the OAL.

The magic length of 26 inches is an arbitrary, non-statutory length that the ATF considered to be NOT readily concealable upon the person and therefore is not an AOW.

"The term "any other weapon" means any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person..."

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
If it is a AOW, the tax is $5.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great job T2TL for using "designed" since there's no "registration" for a semi-auto pistol (AR or otherwise) in Florida. 🤠
Oddly enough, “designed” vs “registration” is about the only thing I had clear in terms of an AR pistol. Which is why I stated that in my original post as such. What gets foggy quickly is all the other nuances or the forward assist on ar pistol, AOW and SBR parts.

As this is my first AR pistol build, I’m in uncharted waters and wanting to tread lightly and not capsize.

Next on the bucket list is a legal SBR.

I thank everyone for the info and contributions posted here. I appreciate all the knowledge everyone brings to the forum here. (y)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts