Florida Concealed Carry banner
101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 · (Edited)
Let me make a recommendation. If it slides metal on metal use grease. Anything else gets oil.
Duly noted. 👍

It’s looking as if I should have all parts in hand by the weekend. (PSA isn’t exactly always the fastest at getting things out 🤬 )

Minus a couple things. I haven’t decided on an optic yet. Probably a red dot or similar. That I can get (many at least) from Amazon. They have this guy for damn cheap. It’s not a Cadillac. But, I think it’d get me started until I get a better handle on exactly how I’m going to use/shoot this thing. But I’m not in a hurry. I’m probably going to start with the backup iron sights just to get familiar with the platform.

Output device Automotive tire Font Camera accessory Audio equipment

·
Registered
14,865 Posts
Duly noted. 👍

It’s looking as if I should have all parts in hand by the weekend. (PSA isn’t exactly always the fastest at getting things out 🤬 )

Minus a couple things. I haven’t decided on an optic yet. Probably a red dot or similar. That I can get (many at least) from Amazon. They have this guy for damn cheap. It’s not a Cadillac. But, I think it’d get me started until I get a better handle on exactly how I’m going to use/shoot this thing. But I’m not in a hurry. I’m probably going to start with the backup iron sights just to get familiar with the platform.

View attachment 77001
You get what you pay for. I am a dealer for Athlon. Our stuff is badass. And my price is unbeatable

·
Registered
15,781 Posts
Let me make a recommendation. If it slides metal on metal use grease. Anything else gets oil.
I use Wilson Combat universal or ultima lube. Almost thick as grease and stays put

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 · (Edited)
You get what you pay for. I am a dealer for Athlon. Our stuff is badass. And my price is unbeatable
Again, duly noted. The bank account (that means the wife) needs to calm down a bit. But, that’s an item on my shortlist.

ETA…^^^^^I literally just had a buddy tell me “Buy once and buy well.” Vs crap you’ll have to buy again.

Sage advice. From all of you. 👍

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
In my defense, somewhat, the above Amazon recommendation came from a friend who has 3. That saId, he’s absolutely anally retentive about taking care of stuff. This is a dude who drove an 80’s pickup truck trouble free for 20+ years because he’s obsessive about maintenance. I on the other hand once took 2 days to replace my water pump on my Ram. The check engine light on my car has been on for 6 months. It needs brakes. It’s got a rotor so warped I can no long er take it up to highway speeds. We are not the same. 🤣

I need to buy decent stuff that can take a little abuse.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
I want your opinion…

Optics? red dot, LVPO, etc. What say you?

I’m picking up the lower today. That gives me everything for a functioning firearm w/backup sights. It’ll probably be a few weeks, but optics are next on the list.

I guess along those lines, I’m going to pick up a case and a few items this weekend. An angled fore grip or similar, some cleaning accessories…I don’t have a set of bags to use for zeroing anything, so that and/or a bipod is on the browsing list.
Am I missing anything or suggestions?

·
Registered
15,781 Posts
I like my Aimpoint Pro. Have it set up so the dot is right on top of my front sight post like a lollipop in case I need to use iron sights

Reactions: RadTek

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
I like my Aimpoint Pro. Have it set up so the dot is right on top of my front sight post like a lollipop in case I need to use iron sights
That’s what I’m leaning toward. That or an Athalon like Bob mentioned. 👍

But my brother really likes his LVPO. I don’t know the make. But I’ll try to find out. I’m going to Florida in a couple months. I may wait and give his a spin. A buddy down there runs red dot. Perhaps a couple days w/us all at the range will help me choose. Do we really need an excuse to shoot anyway? 🤣

·
Registered
18,705 Posts
For ‘minute of man’ shooting out to 200yds a red dot will be fine.
I have a 1-6 Viper PST lpvo on my .308 so I can get a bit more precise if I want.
But then you need to think about front focal plane or second focal plane optics. On one the reticle stays the same size and on another the reticle changes size with the magnification as you zoom in. On one the reticle marks stay the same and represent a fixed amount and on the other depending on what magnification the optic is set to the reticle subtentions vary. It can get really confusing really quick.
All depends on what you intend to do.

101 - 110 of 110 Posts