Florida Concealed Carry banner
81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Yea, I’ve got a buddy who simply said, “So it begins.” when I told him.

Ok y’all, pieces are in route. What’s the best practice upon arrival? With handguns, new or used, I usually break ‘em down, good cleaning, and a little oil before anything else.

Same with these? It’s not a SS barrel. Chrome Moly. I understand rust can be a concern. Any tools/oils, etc. I should grab while I’m out shopping this weekend? Tips before taking it for a test drive?
I’ve been binging on videos and the like, but want mor opinions.
Same as a new pistol…… give the bolt some generous lube, not to the point where it’s dripping but more than you would line a slide. Run a few patches with oil through the barrel and keep it out of moisture and you will be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RadTek

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Same as a new pistol…… give the bolt some generous lube, not to the point where it’s dripping but more than you would line a slide. Run a few patches with oil through the barrel and keep it out of moisture and you will be ok.

That’s what I figured. Would you tear down the bolt assembly completely and oil everything? That’s where my head is at anyway. I know these things can get grimy pretty quick.

·
Registered
15,781 Posts
Don't lose the retaining pin on the bcg...

·
Registered
10,092 Posts
That’s what I figured. Would you tear down the bolt assembly completely and oil everything? That’s where my head is at anyway. I know these things can get grimy pretty quick.
Might as well. You have to tear it down (very easily done) for cleaning, anyway.

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
13,677 Posts
Do it ‘til you can tear it down and put it back together blindfolded, pvt! Give her a name and promise her you are hers! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Also…. Don’t be afraid to run it dirty. I have one that has over 2500 rounds through it with only a bore snake through the barrel every couple of hundred rounds. No ftfs either. Have not touched the BCG, just add oil.

If it’s your go to rifle though…. Keep it clean.

·
Registered
56,821 Posts
Also…. Don’t be afraid to run it dirty. I have one that has over 2500 rounds through it with only a bore snake through the barrel every couple of hundred rounds. No ftfs either. Have not touched the BCG, just add oil.

If it’s your go to rifle though…. Keep it clean.

There isn't an ar made that would be my go to rifle, PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
There isn't an ar made that would be my go to rifle, PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not in it for a “go to” rifle. Honestly, obtaining one because we might not be able to shortly. Just something fun to shoot TBH. However, should zombies (or lefties) come knocking, and I run out of everything else, can’t hurt to have something else to throw at ‘em. 🤣

·
Registered
56,821 Posts
What if it was the only rifle around?

I wouldn't be caught without rifles to choose from, that's why I don't own an ar, there's plenty of other guns that will be more reliable like my Tavor.

If I got caught without any rifle, I'd make use of the pistols. LOL

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Honestly, and I will take the heat for this. The S+W Sport cannot be beat for the price and warranty.
I agree. I have steered friends to them & they have functioned fine.(few course's) Good thing about the AR is you can start with something not $$ & change out parts. I'm a BCM guy, but have a beater franken AR I let people use & it's a tank.
And dirty & wet is great. Dirty & dry isn't......

·
Super Moderator
31,895 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: brownie

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
I wouldn't be caught without rifles to choose from, that's why I don't own an ar, there's plenty of other guns that will be more reliable like my Tavor.

If I got caught without any rifle, I'd make use of the pistols. LOL
The Tavor is one of , if not THE, best non-AR carbines out there today. Excellent choice.

·
Registered
56,821 Posts
The Tavor is one of , if not THE, best non-AR carbines out there today. Excellent choice.

It's one of those things I'll not part with like the 640-1 357, and I've parted with a LOT of firearms in the past.

·
Registered
13,677 Posts
M14 with M76 was fun to shoot at tanks in ITR! :cool:

·
Registered
14,865 Posts

Let me make a recommendation. If it slides metal on metal use grease. Anything else gets oil.

81 - 100 of 110 Posts