Florida Concealed Carry banner
61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
You bet ya. I show up to my range with 30 loaded Glock 17 mags in the ten round mag holder Glock bags. No way I’d unload all that and reload them. That’s 510 rounds. I load them at home so I don’t waste time loading them there. They charge you per hour and I want to spend that hour shooting not loading. The only ones I load are my other gun mags that I don’t have that many mags for.
That’s just it. If they charge by the hour, I’m paying to shoot, not stand there stuffing mags.

In Phoenix, the Ben Avery outdoor complex was a flat rate for the day. Rightfully so too considering they go cold range every 15 minutes for 10 minutes or so for folks to hang targets. That’s not so bad. Between cold range times and loading mags, it kind of slows down your shooting allowing you to make a solid day out of less ammo. 👍

·
Registered
7,473 Posts
Just show them a factory box full of ammo, not your mags. That’s all I have ever done and not once have they asked to see my mags (loaded or unloaded).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I usually buy the thousand round bulk loose packs. I guess I could bring them the empty box? :rolleyes:

Of course you could just bring a box of rounds and tell them that’s what you loaded in all the mags? :unsure:

Reactions: Caleb

·
Registered
629 Posts
I didn’t know they did that. (Spark up). But, it makes sense thinking about it. 👍
It had been so long since I had gone to an indoor range with a rifle (years), that the thought never crossed my mind. The staff was very courteous and professional about it; I just bought some soft ammo from them and joined the rest of the party.

·
Super Moderator
31,900 Posts
Just show them a factory box full of ammo, not your mags. That’s all I have ever done and not once have they asked to see my mags (loaded or unloaded).

Ok, as long as one doesn't shoot steel core ammo in mags that bypass the inspection/magnet test, all would be well, but I'm sure some jackass might try to sneak mags loaded with steel core ammo not realizing the destruction that would cause. I suspect that if a range sees them shooting steel core ammo, they're done and could have more severe legal problems because of their wilful negligence.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
It had been so long since I had gone to an indoor range with a rifle (years), that the thought never crossed my mind. The staff was very courteous and professional about it; I just bought some soft ammo from them and joined the rest of the party.
I haven’t done a lot of indoor lately. And definitely no rifles. That just didn’t occur to me until you all said it.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Ok, as long as one doesn't shoot steel core ammo in mags that bypass the inspection/magnet test, all would be well, but I'm sure some jackass might try to sneak mags loaded with steel core ammo not realizing the destruction that would cause. I suspect that if a range sees them shooting steel core ammo, they're done and could have more severe legal problems because of their wilful negligence.
True.. I guess I’m assuming everyone is like you or me and follow the rules of safety.

• Haha
Reactions: 7.62Kolectr

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
I would not break their rules , except shooting reloads ,because that is about selling ammo. I don't shoot at Shoot Strait because of the shooting bag searches they just take it too far.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I would not break their rules , except shooting reloads ,because that is about selling ammo. I don't shoot at Shoot Strait because of the shooting bag searches they just take it too far.
Agreed! I haven’t set foot inside a SS since I watched them drop a guy’s handgun because they just have to check each one as they come in the door. The idiot didn’t know how to operate a Ruger Mark IV and fumbled it trying to do a safety check.

Threre’s zero reason to paw my stuff because it’s your range and you’ve got some kind of power-trip as a result.

·
Registered
56,821 Posts
Agreed! I haven’t set foot inside a SS since I watched them drop a guy’s handgun because they just have to check each one as they come in the door. The idiot didn’t know how to operate a Ruger Mark IV and fumbled it trying to do a safety check.

Threre’s zero reason to paw my stuff because it’s your range and you’ve got some kind of power-trip as a result.
Should have stayed in Az., no need to go to an indoor range when the state provides so many shooting areas. LOL

Haven't been to an indoor range in decades now

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Should have stayed in Az., no need to go to an indoor range when the state provides so many shooting areas. LOL

Haven't been to an indoor range in decades now
I went to one indoor range in Arizona. My dad was visiting and wanted to try out something I’d just acquired. Mid August, blazing hot. Pops wasn’t interested in the heat so, we popped in, ran through a couple boxes and out.

Otherwise it was that Ben Avery complex or just some random spot in the desert that looked good. :LOL:

ETA…and if anyone is wondering, yes. I always policed my own brass and targets. Occasionally raking up crap left by some other bozo before us.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I used to trade beer for brass and pick up any brass left behind ,it's the reason the last two ammo shortages have not been a problem.
I had buckets of brass before we moved to Texas. Gave it to a friend in trade for helping me load the truck.

In hindsight, I wish I’d packed that sucker myself and kept all that brass.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
Right now primers ,powder and bullets are scarce but not at my house ,I still have a 5 gallon bucket of brass I have not sorted yet ,best of luck to everyone living with the commie sock puppet in charge.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
I’m not unhappy with the ammo supply I have. Of course there’s always room for more. I wouldn’t mind a little more 45 since I just acquired another that will probably end up an occasional EDC over the 40.

Naturally, I’m staring at a huge hole I will need to start filling with 5.56 very shortly. That blows.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok, given that it’s looking more and more likely we’re going to get another AWB, I’ve decided to take the plunge.

Advice for a newbie?

Budget is a concern. I can‘t go nuts here. I just plunked down a whole lot more than I should have for another.45 a month ago. The bank account is still wheezing. 🤣

I’ve never had a need for one, but always wanted one.

I don’t think I have a lot of time for my usual research. Probably need to buy w/a bonus coming nest week.

Don’t be too hard on me for cheaping out, I know you can get what you pay for often. But, probably 1K is my ceiling. Palometto St Armory has a few under that, leaving some wiggle room for mags, sights, etc.

Crash course… what’s the more important key things to put on my “want list”?

ETA…Note, this is for general all-around stuff, nothing like going for the Olympic medal in long distance. Honestly, range type stuff. Obviously, having it around should zombies knock on the door of course. 🤣

Got this for Christmas and love it

I put a Sig Romeo5 red dot on top.

Great setup that's not crazy expensive.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
My upper w/sights should be here tomorrow. Just ordered the rest….lower, BCG and a CH w/some mags. That’ll probably be next week delivered. If I’ve done everything correctly, I should have a basic working rifle end of next week. Depending on how quickly my receiving FFL processes the lower.

Unfortunately, I didn’t do everything right. I screwed the pooch! Was fooling around on PSA and somehow ended up with a 2nd BCG (packaged w/some mags) in my shopping cart before finalizing the purchase. So….by end of next week I’ll have a spare BCG and a total of 20 mags. 🤬

Oh well. I’ve already started my future collection of parts. 🥴

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
My upper w/sights should be here tomorrow. Just ordered the rest….lower, BCG and a CH w/some mags. That’ll probably be next week delivered. If I’ve done everything correctly, I should have a basic working rifle end of next week. Depending on how quickly my receiving FFL processes the lower.

Unfortunately, I didn’t do everything right. I screwed the pooch! Was fooling around on PSA and somehow ended up with a 2nd BCG (packaged w/some mags) in my shopping cart before finalizing the purchase. So….by end of next week I’ll have a spare BCG and a total of 20 mags.

Oh well. I’ve already started my future collection of parts.
One is never enough.

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
One is never enough.

Yea, I’ve got a buddy who simply said, “So it begins.” when I told him.

Ok y’all, pieces are in route. What’s the best practice upon arrival? With handguns, new or used, I usually break ‘em down, good cleaning, and a little oil before anything else.

Same with these? It’s not a SS barrel. Chrome Moly. I understand rust can be a concern. Any tools/oils, etc. I should grab while I’m out shopping this weekend? Tips before taking it for a test drive?
I’ve been binging on videos and the like, but want mor opinions.

·
Registered
15,781 Posts
One is never enough.

Lisa said one of you was more than enough..and not as a blessing..but I may have misunderstood

Reactions: Caleb

·
Super Moderator
31,900 Posts
One is never enough.

Reminds me of great tune released in 2011. . . and I've been a BIG fan of Grace Potter ever since! 😍

61 - 80 of 110 Posts