Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, given that it’s looking more and more likely we’re going to get another AWB, I’ve decided to take the plunge.

Advice for a newbie?

Budget is a concern. I can‘t go nuts here. I just plunked down a whole lot more than I should have for another.45 a month ago. The bank account is still wheezing. 🤣

I’ve never had a need for one, but always wanted one.

I don’t think I have a lot of time for my usual research. Probably need to buy w/a bonus coming nest week.

Don’t be too hard on me for cheaping out, I know you can get what you pay for often. But, probably 1K is my ceiling. Palometto St Armory has a few under that, leaving some wiggle room for mags, sights, etc.

Crash course… what’s the more important key things to put on my “want list”?

ETA…Note, this is for general all-around stuff, nothing like going for the Olympic medal in long distance. Honestly, range type stuff. Obviously, having it around should zombies knock on the door of course. 🤣

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
May I suggest a nice wood stock Ruger mini.
I'm in the, I’ve never had a need for an AR, but always wanted one. club as well.

Reactions: joeyvco and RadTek

·
Registered
14,865 Posts
Honestly, and I will take the heat for this. The S+W Sport cannot be beat for the price and warranty.

·
Registered
15,778 Posts
My Ruger 556 works for me. Put an Aimpoint Pro on it and bought a .22 conversion BCG for backyard plinking

·
Super Moderator
31,887 Posts
I'll second what bttbob wrote, and will share the heat for seconding his suggestion! 🤠

Alternatively, some of those PSA offerings are pretty good, too and well under your $1K ceiling. FWIW, I built my first AR platform mid-length carbine from PSA supplied parts and it's never given me any problems.

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
I'll second what bttbob wrote, and will share the heat for seconding his suggestion! 🤠

Alternatively, some of those PSA offerings are pretty good, too and well under your $1K ceiling. FWIW, I built my first AR platform mid-length carbine from PSA supplied parts and it's never given me any problems.
My brother, as an M&P owner, will share the heat as well.
I've shot it. Damn thing works!!! :)

·
Registered
13,671 Posts
I have an older S&W and after a lot of tweeking and “improvements” I have what I wanted. The thing I wish it had is a1:8 twist Wilde. While I have a 2 stage target trigger I would opt for something a bit heavier like 5lb pull. Best bang for the buck add on? Aim point Patrol optic.
Trigger Machine gun Gun accessory Bird Air gun

·
Registered
15,538 Posts
Ok, given that it’s looking more and more likely we’re going to get another AWB, I’ve decided to take the plunge.
It's not even remotely likely. This is an exercise in POSTURING and virtue signaling by House Democrats / progressives. It doesn't stand a chance of passing in the Senate.

But, probably 1K is my ceiling.
You can get something quite nice for that price range.

The S+W Sport cannot be beat for the price and warranty.
Yep. I have the S&W M&P 15-22 (.22LR), and I love it! I would absolutely consider getting the "real AR-15" by the same name / brand. And, I've thought about it. But, I already have an FNH SCAR-16S and FS2000, which accomplish the same thing.

So, an AR-15 would be redundant. But, as I just typed that, I realized my own self-contradiction! MOST of my guns are redundant! LOL! To wit... the P80 collection I've been growing!

That said, I did buy two 80% AR-15 receivers to throw in the closet.

Let us know what you get!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Just overall plinking and "I want one because" is almost anything in the under $800 budget. PSA, S&W, Colt, and any knock off brand will go bang and do what you want for under $1K. I'd spend $500-700 on the rifle and put $200 - $300 in optics and call it a day. Buy you a case of ammo and some magazines and you'll be set.

I have owned quite a few PSA lowers and all have went bang and I have had zero issues out of them. And the amount you will probably shoot out of the "because I want one" rifle, the barrel life will not come into play in your budget at all.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
I like the gas piston gun over direct inpingement gas system the boltcarrier does not get as hot or dirty less cleaning, Adams Arms is a FL company makes a reasonable priced gun if you use Buds gun shop. I have two an AR10 and AR15.

·
Super Moderator
31,887 Posts
I'm with racer here and absolutely do not believe an AWB is likely at all. However, I wouldn't let that convince me to pass on acquiring an AR platform rifle. The more ARs are out there, the more Liberals are pissed off, which is a good thing! SCROOM!

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just overall plinking and "I want one because" is almost anything in the under $800 budget. PSA, S&W, Colt, and any knock off brand will go bang and do what you want for under $1K. I'd spend $500-700 on the rifle and put $200 - $300 in optics and call it a day. Buy you a case of ammo and some magazines and you'll be set.
That’s exactly what I’m thinking…

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's not even remotely likely. This is an exercise in POSTURING and virtue signaling by House Democrats / progressives. It doesn't stand a chance of passing in the Senate.
Im confident you’re right. But not comfortable. I’m probably just using the current climate as an excuse. (Meaning a solid reason to get this past the wife 🤣 ). Like I say, I just plunked down a chunk for the Sig P227 I’ve been wanting for awhile. The Mrs. is more uncomfortable than I at the moment. Ain’t married life grand?

·
Registered
13,671 Posts
Can’t go wrong with this…….https://aimpoint.us/shop-products/red-dot-sights/

Reactions: RadTek

·
Registered
21,572 Posts
lol...i was on my way to orlando for training when the pulse nightclub shooting was announced on the news...i walked into bass pro shops the next day and bought their last wyndham weaponry ar15...everybody knows i am a polymer kinda guy and it saves a half pound...rifle has been flawless and comes at a good price...i was really lucky that they tagged the rifle wrong and i saved an extra $100...

Reactions: RadTek
1 - 20 of 110 Posts