Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, what can I say. I'm totally hooked. As you know I just bought my first rifle and went head first into the whole "black rifle" experience. It's amazing how much resource and parts that are available for this platform. I have already changed the fixed stock to an adjustable one and I've also mounted a holosight to the carry handle via a cantilever picatinny rail.

Now to the good part. Having never shot any type of rifle before I was all too eager but cautious to experience the feel and sound of the rifle. The range was packed but the rifle section had no one there. Good, no wait. I loaded up the magazines and stepped to the lane. Here we go. After aligning the sights on the target I proceeded to press the trigger. BANG Wow, the sound, the smell, the rush as you realize how quick the bullet travels to the target. If it's always like this I can easily eat up 1000 rounds and not even notice. My first impression was how there was no perceived trigger travel like my Glock before the rifle goes bang. My second impression was that the recoil was totally not what I expected it to be. It was not harsh. It was very easy to get use to it. As a matter of fact the only thing that takes concentration is keeping the sights on target and controlling your breathing.

After awhile you start to notice how much rounds you eat up quickly. I had to go get another box of 50 rounds so I could continue. The sound is also a pleasure to experience although with ear plugs I was only hearing a fraction of the sound. Shooting an AR makes shooting a handgun seem so much a non event. While at the range a couple of LEO's showed up with their AR's and It was a pleasure standing back and watching them shoot.

So after 100 rounds and allowing some of my buddy's to take a turn at shooting the rifle I packed it up and left the range grinning from ear to ear :D. It was a very thrilling experience and I look forward to going back and zeroing the holosight and letting her rip again.

I had the original setup when I took it to the range and all shots were taken with the iron sights.

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
NK, great report and nice shooting! Glad to hear you are enjoying your new rifle.

I'm sure some of the guys will chime in and give you some tips about sighting the rifle, particularly if you are zeroing at a short distance.

You will also need to give your rifle a girl's name, as per military tradition.

I would be stocking up on some decent ammo at the relatively good prices available now. The future of ammo prices I'm afraid is going only in one direction.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will also need to give your rifle a girl's name, as per military tradition.
I did not know that :rolf. It's either going to be my lady's name or another name that won't make her jealous.

I would be stocking up on some decent ammo at the relatively good prices available now. The future of ammo prices I'm afraid is going only in one direction.
I'm currently researching reloading. I'll see which is more cost effective.

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
If you have the room and inclination to set up for reloading, that is great. I never got to that point, but once you get set up for a particular caliber, you can really save some money. .223/.556 ammo is pretty popular, but in the 7.62/.308 ammo which is 50 cents and up a round, re-loading I hear is often half the price, and obviously pays if you plan on shooting a lot.

·
213 Posts
NKM,

I picked up a Bushmaster M4A3 carbine last week, but have not had a chance to shoot yet. I went with a red dot sight, but it has not arrived yet (something about backorders?). I'm looking forward to experiencing the same thrill you enjoyed, hopefully the weekend after Thanksgiving.

Relating to concealed carry, I made my first out of state trip while carrying. My sons and I went up to Moultrie, Ga for the auto swap meet. I checked for GA reciprocity first. I carried my Sig 239 in a Galco shoulder holster. No one noticed. I gained a lot of confidence walking around all day.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
Very Good report there NK,Glad you had a great expierience fring the AR Beautiful lookng rifle,Congrats on the new sight as well.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Cool ain't it! I still remember the military days when qualifying time came around. At what distance were you shooting?

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool ain't it! I still remember the military days when qualifying time came around. At what distance were you shooting?
It was only 50 yrds. When I go next I'll go for 100 yrds.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Happy to hear that you could get one at a time when they are flying out the door of every Gun Store in America. Now buy a 22 conversion so it doesn't cost so much to shoot.:drinks I've been shooting a great deal in the past 2 years, Mainly 22LR's through AR Conversions. 22's are less than $15.00 in Federal Bulk Packs of 550. I have over 10,000 through one of my AR15's with no sign of harm. I have worn out 7 of the Black Dog Machine Full Bodied Magazines though. Seriously, It's a Blast and has saved me over $8,000.00 on Ammo so far.
SO-13

1 - 9 of 9 Posts