Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope I'm not getting "CRS" syndrome, :grin but I seem to have forgotten the last letter of the AOJ triad.... the one that really isn't in the acronym, but should be. and would turn the "triad" into a "quadrad." Certainly "Ability, Opportunity, Jeopardy," but the fourth element (I recall it starts with a "P"), is the one that describes whether or not one has the "duty to retreat" in the given situation.

Anybody recall what the "P" is?

Thx. :thumsup

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
According to Branca there are 5: innocence, imminence, proportionality, reasonableness and avoidance.

·
Super Moderator
26,332 Posts
According to Branca there are 5: innocence, imminence, proportionality, reasonableness and avoidance.
Brian is correct and not that the order matters that much, but Branca orders the five elements of self-defense slightly differently as: 1) Innocence, 2) Imminence, 3) Proportionality, 4) Avoidance, and 5) Reasonableness, with that "reasonableness" element as the "umbrella that covers the other four elements."

The A-O-J triad is a great tool for real-time assessment of the "Imminence" element. While the term "preclusion" doesn't appear in Branca's book, the "duty to retreat" does and is a component of the fourth element, "Avoidance" and why it's not part of the A-O-J triad used to assess "imminence." If at all possible, avoiding the situation is always a good idea because avoiding the need for a self-defense use of force will help keep one on the right side of the law. Regardless, only 16 states have a legal "duty to retreat," if it is reasonably safe to do so (with certain exceptions, one being the "castle doctrine"). So "preclusion" is more about thinking about the lawfulness of a self-defense use of force, while A-O-J is focused on assessing the threat and deciding RFN to use lethal force.

As Brian has frequently posted his advice here on FCC, the time to think about the legalities of a self-defense use of lethal force is not in the heat of the moment of answering a imminent threat and will likely cause one to delay the appropriate response and get themselves killed.

·
Registered
54,302 Posts
The academy taught it as Means, motive, opportunity with the imminent element necessarily present. Not 4, not 5 elements, but 3 requirements were necessary for deadly force along with the imminent element.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
You guys beat me to it. Just found this thread.

The elimination of Preclusion (or "duty to retreat") is what SYG is all about.

It bugs the ever-living $hit out of me when I hear pundits, politicians, reporters, and activists say that SYG means "shoot first and ask questions later." :aarg Absolutely false. Intentionally false. What I like to call DISinformation.

Nope. ALL the prerequisites for the use of lethal force still apply. You just don't have to prove that you couldn't run away.

·
Registered
7,631 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,332 Posts
The academy taught it as Means, motive, opportunity with the imminent element necessarily present. Not 4, not 5 elements, but 3 requirements were necessary for deadly force along with the imminent element.
It's still three requirements represented by the A-O-J triad necessary to make the right decision to use deadly force in self-defense. The five elements Branca writes about are necessary to maximize one's chances of success in winning the legal battle after the physical battle is over. A-O-J should be enough, but according to Branca, it's not quite that simple in many jurisdictions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts