Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are those of us in this community who believe CCW citizens should carry their concealed firearm everywhere there isn't a metal detector, regardless of the law or so-called "gun free zones."

This brings up a question - does anyone know of a situation where a legally armed citizen used a firearm in self-defense in a prohibited area, and who was subsequently prosecuted for having the firearm in a prohibited area, even though the use of the weapon was ruled as being justified?

I would like to get your reactions, and comments, or info if you know of anyone this has happened to...

Thanks
Sheepdog "Condition Yellow 24x7"

·
Registered
192 Posts
People often break laws or rules and this is often well known by many. However, if the person is right the person is often not prosecuted. So if you shoot in such an area better make sure you are correct and make no mistakes.

·
Registered
11,225 Posts
Bernard Goetz would be the most notable example that I can think of...the subway shooting was ruled justified, but he was convicted of Criminal Possession of a Weapon.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
People often break laws or rules and this is often well known by many. However, if the person is right the person is often not prosecuted. So if you shoot in such an area better make sure you are correct and make no mistakes.
+1

If your going to break the law there better be no grey area in your self defense use of your weapon. If there is you will fry.

·
Registered
88 Posts
yeah i agree, i carry pretty much everywhere but the courthouse and the airport cause of search and metal detector. outside of places that search you for the most part. I would make EXTRA carful dessision's when in these places.

To be honest, alot of college student's should carry against policy, cause i think it would make it safer for them. given the crazy **** that has happened before. I think a legally armed average joe in every class in every college should be manatory. :drinks

·
Registered
974 Posts
I've heard of somebody using a gun in a self-defense situation inside their own home and getting prosecuted and maybe persecuted for it. The gun wasn't registered.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I've heard of somebody using a gun in a self-defense situation inside their own home and getting prosecuted and maybe persecuted for it. The gun wasn't registered.
In what state? NY, NJ, IL, MA, CA? There is no gun registration in Florida.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
don't ask & don't tell

·
Registered
94 Posts
Bernard Goetz would be the most notable example that I can think of...the subway shooting was ruled justified, but he was convicted of Criminal Possession of a Weapon.
That doesn't count he was in New York where improper possession of a candy wrapper can land you in the slammer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Look at it this way... would you rather face legal penalties, and worse case senario do a couple years time in prison, OR be dead. haha, is it that hard of a question? :rolf

Hell i rather do 20 years in a max than just die a : censored on my knee's. Atleast in prison, your alive. :drinks

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Look at it this way... would you rather face legal penalties, and worse case senario do a couple years time in prison, OR be dead. haha, is it that hard of a question? :rolf

Hell i rather do 20 years in a max than just die a : censored on my knee's. At least in prison, your alive. :drinks

Let me know how that works out for ya!! Ever done any time?? Try it sometime, it might change your attitude. It did mine... You'll spend 20 years on your knees instead of a few seconds.

·
Registered
117 Posts
"To be honest, alot of college student's should carry against policy, cause i think it would make it safer for them. given the crazy : censored that has happened before. I think a legally armed average joe in every class in every college should be manatory"

Carry against policy ...legally armed Joe. There's a BIG difference there!

·
653 Posts
I think like everything else it will depend on who catches you with a weapon. An understanding LEO might just tell you to take it outside and let you go. A young rookie wanting a collar might just cuff you and bring you in on charges. That may or may not get you in the slammer depending on the judge and jury. But it will cost you plenty in legal fees, time and aggravation. When I got my CWFL I agreed to abide by the laws that apply to my license and I will do just that to the best of my ability. If the law says I can not carry there, I will leave my gun in the car. I don't have the inclination to test the law nor do I have the money for a lawyer. It took me long enough to get my license I am not going to jeopardize it by braking the law.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.