Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
13,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talking to a neighbor here in NC. He has the local CCW permit and when I told him I did too (Florida CCW but recognized in NC) he asked me if I ever actually carry the weapon. I advised him I was carrying and he looked very surprized. Said he'd never noticed my pocket was "full". (imagine if I told him I had two on, LOL).

Just curious. Anyone get their license but for some reason, either nervousness or discomfort, NOT carry daily OR even ever?

Be interesting to see the feelings of others on this.

· Registered
1,033 Posts
You will be suprised at the #'s of people that don't carry a weapon daily :rolleyes: PS they dont go on these type of forums anyway or they would IMHO

· Registered
13,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You will be suprised at the #'s of people that don't carry a weapon daily :rolleyes: PS they dont go on these type of forums anyway or they would IMHO
Maybe not BUT I am very curious as to why. Not trying to judge but how folks think is important to me. I think, without the proper mindset and skill, we are better off if some don't opt to carry . That said, I would advise every able citizen to learn the skills to do so when legal. Just makes sense to me that the more law abiding people who contribute to the drop in crime, the quicker we will reclaim or at least hold onto our streets.

· Registered
6,138 Posts
I carry all the time even at home.

But I have several friends that have their CCW but don't carry. One is a pharmaceutical salesman and he doesn't carry one in the pipe or carry regularly. I can't understand why.

· Administrator
5,116 Posts
I don't carry at work, and there are a lot of times when doing other stuff that's physical, I leave it in the truck. I'd say I carry 50%

· Registered
1,965 Posts
I carry almost a 100% of the time. The only time I do not carry is when florida statute states that I am not allowed and I do not carry at work because that will get me fired. I carry at home as well because I dont want to leave it lying around as I have children and although I could put it in my safe, it may be difficult to retrieve quickly when needed, so it stays in the holster on my hip.

· Registered
13,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I understand not carrying where it is prohibited, either legally OR because of a company rule or preference of host/hostess at say a party.

What I am curious about is people who were motivated to get a license (usually means they wanted a comfort level they felt they didn't have) but then don't take advantage of the freedom to carry that comes with it.

Someone said a friend said, "to scatter brained and afraid to loose the gun".

How many, I wonder, does a weapon evoke that kind of fear or nervousness in and how much of that is prompted by social pressure and media bias being pushed and pushed on the population?

Kinda like buying a really capable 4 WD vehicle then, never venturing into the muck.

· Super Moderator
6,188 Posts
My dh does not carry. Nor does his brother. It seems that I'm the one who took this thing to the nth degree. That is in keeping with our own personalities though so it is no shocker.

He is not allowed to carry at work. He spends many hours there so he just gets used to not carrying. I'm the one who carries when we are out and about because I'm the one who is used to it. I'm also the one who carries at home all day every day. It's how I practice carrying. It's not that I'm that paranoid but it's just what I do. The kids are so over it.

He does go to the range on occasion.

Once in a while he will put my .380 in his pocket when he is out and about on his off days. He does carry it as well when he goes mountain biking. I've always wondered about that here in flat Florida. I think it should be called trail riding but who am I to say? He puts it in the back pouch on the bike which I also think is useless because you can't get to it in a hurry if you need to especially in remote areas. We are vastly different in our mindsets but he does not stop me from taking it as far as I have including being here on this forum and gasp! being a moderator. [g] My leash is long. haha

He is also not to the point that he will put one in the chamber either. I never carry without one in the chamber. I don't say anything because each of us have to get to that comfort level and mindset on our own time frame. I certainly don't want him telling me what to do so I don't say anything to him to get him past where he is comfortable. We agree to be different.

There. That ought to be more info than you asked for.

· Registered
297 Posts
Well I can't speak for everyone but. ..
I have one friend that has his license, his weapon is ALWAYS where he is, but usually in his truck. If he rides in someone else's vehicle, he'll carry then. If he is somewhere late or it looks rough or whatever, he'll slip it in his pocket while outside the truck and conduct his business, then slip it back in the center consule. He brings it in the house at night, and to the truck but doesn't carry on his person all the time, construction, very inconvenient.
My wife is going to carry only if she goes someplace late at night and wants to feel secure (that is what she says now, I'll lay 8-5 that it becomes part of her when that license comes in) but that's her theory for now.

I carry mine everywhere legal about 90% of the time. Only time I go without is if I know I'm going to end up somewhere that is not legal, or if I know or think I might end up drinking (fishing trips, poker games, bbq's, fish fry's, etc.)

As for the rest, if you get it and don't use it, that's fine, I like the numbers going up anyway, shows the Gov. we're serious, even if some don't carry.

Jess

· Registered
5,580 Posts
I carry or bring it with me everywhere I go. I work in a federal building so I cannot bring it in with me so it stays in the car locked up in a car vault. I have a co-worker that has had his license for a longggggg time. He has never carried and says he only got the license to make it easier to buy guns. :smack doh

· Registered
218 Posts
I don't carry all the time. Only when I'm awake. We have a no gun policy where I work, but I still carry, concealed is just that concealed. No one knows but me and that's the way it will stay.

· Registered
1,965 Posts
I don't carry all the time. Only when I'm awake. We have a no gun policy where I work, but I still carry, concealed is just that concealed. No one knows but me and that's the way it will stay.
Hope your boss in not a member of this forum :rolf

· Registered
86 Posts
Still waiting for my ccw, however most of my time is spent at work and at school. I figure that i will carry on weekends. To me it's one of those things that's better to have and not need than to need and not have.

· Super Moderator
11,164 Posts
I think some people don't feel the need to carry but get the license anyway because having it is legally advantageous in some situations. Buying guns is only one of them. When I got mine, one of my reasons for getting it was a feeling that rights not exercised are rights that are soon lost. Since getting it I've decided to carry whenever it's feasible.

· Registered
335 Posts
I cannot carry at work due to its a felony.. we have a psych facility on the hosptial grounds so.. even the cops can't carry in here..

other than that I usually pack.. My father in law and I usually hang out on my off days. When he comes over to pick me up to go running around , his first question if "so what ya got on ya ?" I will say oh I feel like its a good 1911 day sooo " he always has his Charter Arms .44 mag Bulldog in his fanny pack..

· Registered
118 Posts
I carry 90% of the time, except at work where either 1>Not allowed due to policy 2>Work can be in the field and my IWB Sidekick can get quite warm and get in the way of physical exertion.

Another question is how many keep a bullet chambered? Glock users ... with no safety (you cant sell me on the dual trigger safety, you can't pull one without the other ... in essence it has no safety) ... could be dangerous.

· Registered
58,568 Posts
I carry 90% of the time, except at work where either 1>Not allowed due to policy 2>Work can be in the field and my IWB Sidekick can get quite warm and get in the way of physical exertion.

Another question is how many keep a bullet chambered? Glock users ... with no safety (you cant sell me on the dual trigger safety, you can't pull one without the other ... in essence it has no safety) ... could be dangerous.
Carry a glock almost every day, have for years. Round chambered at all times. The glock has three safeties, two of which are internal. Keep your booker hook off the bang switch, the gun is as safe as any other firearm including revos.

Don't need to sell you on the glock or it's safeties, your are right. I carry that which I know well from many years of carrying them on the streets and in the field while on search and rescue operations.

None of my glocks have ever gone off without user intervention .

Brownie

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.