Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Kel-Tec 9mm 7 shot single stack, the smaller one. In less than 50 rounds I broke it some how. Trigger pulls, but nothing happens, well it does make a funny sound, but no bang! My gunsmith has no idea what happened to it. So we sent it back to KelTec of course. I bought it to replace my Keltec .380 which hasnt broke yet. This problem has really rocked my faith in KelTec.
I'll write more details if anyone else has something to share on this topic

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'll be breaking in my Kel-Tec PF9 on December 26th. I'll let you know how it holds up. I'm doing the Fluff 'n' Buff on Christmas Day. (My wife won't let me touch it until then.) I plan to put a couple hundred rounds through it by New Year's Eve.

- Str8Shooter

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
Every so often a bad one slips through doesn't make the manufacturer bad and really doesn't mean you should lose faith in them right away give them a chance to make it right for you i understand they have a real good Customer Service Dept.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The first time out with my PF-9 I had 4 fail to fires out of 100 rounds. I sent it back to Kel Tec and they did a great job. I have had no other issued with it and it is now my primary choice for CCW, my Kel Tec .380 hasn't been out of the gun case in a long time. They will definitely make it right for you.

Will

·
Registered
174 Posts
After purchasing my keltec pf9 in july, I had several ftf and fte, after 300 rounds and polishing the feed ramp, I now have over a 1000 rounds thru it and no more problems.

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
We (and seemingly everyone except KelTec) know about the fluff & buff...... So I ask why would a manufacturer knowingly distribute a weapon that is not FINISHED?

·
Registered
252 Posts
... why would a manufacturer knowingly distribute a weapon that is not FINISHED?
Cost. Pure and simple. The gun wouldn't be as inexpensive if they hand finished it.

That works in my favor two ways. I can get an "unfinished" gun and finish it myself and get more gun for the money. A BG buying the same gun who doesn't give it a good Fluff and Buff is less likely to be able to shoot me with the gun when the chips are down. (A good guy who doesn't feel up to giving the gun an F&B can always send it back to Kel-Tec for the F&B or pay a gunshop to do the work.)

Plus, it gives me a sense of accomplishment to do a little work on the gun that I'll be carrying. It makes it MINE. (Shades of Full Metal Jacket: "This is my [Kel-Tec]. There are many like it, but this one is mine.")

- Str8Shooter

·
Registered
117 Posts
"We (and seemingly everyone except KelTec) know about the fluff & buff...... So I ask why would a manufacturer knowingly distribute a weapon that is not FINISHED?"

BINGO! It COULDN'T cost that much more to finish it right.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have never shot the Kel-tec but as I understand it they are more of a bargain pistol. I went for the Kahr CW9 for my bargain pistol after reading a lot of reviews. I payed 350 for it about 2 years ago, it was used but with almost no wear (I would guess 100 rounds through it when I bought it). I think new ones can be had for around $500. The CW9 is modeled after the P9 and basically just has a cheaper finish and cheaper rifling. I put 100 rounds through it without stopping, let alone cleaning it. The only failure was when I squeezed to hard and hit the magazine eject button mid-fire and the next round failed to feed because the mag wasnt in all the way.

This is just my opinion and I really know nothing about Kel-tecs other than what I have read on the internet.

Edit
------------------

Oh yeah, mine is also a 9mm 7+1 single stack.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts