Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! New to the forum and to concealed carry. I am seeking knowledge concerning where the better clubs and ranges are located in the Orlando area. My knowledge is minimal therefore any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

I have not applied for my CWL as of yet but want to choose wisely as to where I take my course as the instruction offered seems to be very minimal. I have fired pistols before but never owned one for in Canada they are restricted. I have the greatest respect for firearms and I fully understand the responsibility however I will not take this responsiblity on unless I have the ability to recieve proper instruction and feel 100% proficient. That said.... I do intend to carry on my person, everyday.

Again...... thanks in advance..... and I really enjoy the imformation gathered from this site thus far.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Welcome to the forum Triniman. The members here from Orlando will certainly give you great info about the resources in your area. You are taking the step in the security of your family and youself. Good luck.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Welcome!

Welcome to the forum (from a relative newbie myself.) There are lots of indoor ranges in Orlando. My wife and I favor the Oak Ridge Gun Range (http://www.oakridgegunrange.com/) for indoor shooting mostly because it's close to us. East Orange Shooting Sports (http://www.eastorangess.com/) is near where I work and convenient to drop by the the drive home.

The problem I have with the indoor ranges is that most don't (usually) permit rapid fire and moving from station to station down the line. Some outdoor ranges do when the range is not crowded. My recommendation is to try to find a range or club, and an instructor, that can help you learn shooting techniques for the real world. Because in the real world, the bad guys are NOT stationary targets 15 feet away while you face them down squarely from a stationary shooting position, firing no more than 1 shot per second.

As for 100% proficient, the most proficient shooters on the forum (which I can't claim to be one of, not by a long shot) will probably tell you there is no such thing. But strive toward it anyway. There's always room to improve or learn new skills. It's fun, rewarding... and might just save your life one day.

- Str8Shooter

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Welcome aboard. I'm sure you'll find the info you are looking for here..As far as getting your CCW or taking the classes required by State of Florida. They are minimal to extreme, just depends on what you want. My basic introductory class is 3 hours, however you can take a 10 hr class. Both qualify you for the License. As for being 100% proficient with your firearm thats a lofty goal. However no matter how long you have been carrying a firearm the training goes on and on and on, very similar to Martial Arts. Start off with the basics of safety, marksmanship and handling, learn them, practice them, then move on to the next goal. Your knowledge, skills and attitude will improve incrementally as you practice and train. Its a LifeStyle change and constantly needs reinforcement just to maintain certain levels of proficiency much less improving on these learned skills.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Triniman, welcome. +1 to what Swamprat has said. Mental preparation is also a very large part of the equation as well. So, even if you cannot carry, preparing your mind is a good thing too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So True

Thanx for all the quick responses..as to being 100% proficient...I know that is a lofty goal.....what I did mean to say is exactly what swamprat said.... I need to become mentally prepared for the respnsibility to have that weapon on me and in my house. My biggest fear is the the old "one in the chamber" mental block. Therefore I don't believe a three hr course and then going in the next room and taking 6 potshots at a target would ever suffice. I hope I don't be called naive but.....this decision was one that I discussed with my wife..... she has a major fear of guns....however she was adamant that she will have to take the course( if I find the right one) as well... which hopefully will enable her to increase her level of comfort as to having a firearm around.

My problem is that I need to find someone that will guide us through the process and from weapon selection to day to day handling.....the one thing I know is that......We are not rich people....but crackheads are crackheads....a bad boy is a bad boy and when they come around it is going to be when they choose, where they choose and the level of agression they bring.......I just want to be prepared to greet them....... if they come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
A lot of good info on here for all new people to firearms. There are quite a few on here with the same feelings, experience, fears etc you have. Start reading some of the info on here. I've also put up quite a bit of info on my site for new shooters. Have fun reading and ask a lot questions.

·
Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Hi! New to the forum and to concealed carry. I am seeking knowledge concerning where the better clubs and ranges are located in the Orlando area. My knowledge is minimal therefore any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

I have not applied for my CWL as of yet but want to choose wisely as to where I take my course as the instruction offered seems to be very minimal.
Hello Triniman and welcome to the site,

We are also in the Orlando area and have been to two different ranges for training and licensing.

The very first time we handled firearms earlier this year we went to:

Shoot Straight located on 17-92 (near 17-92 & 436 intersection)
http://www.shootstraightonline.com/index.htm

At this location we decided to take the Basic Firearms Safety and Tactics class taught by the Bulldog Tactical Group. It is a 3 hour (ish) class and they were gracious in not charging for our kids (ages 11 and 13 at the time). They sat in on the class time and were behind the glass window during range time. We felt it was important that they learned right along with us so we'd all be on the same page. The kids chose not to shoot that night but they still learned a lot. They are all about kids learning gun safety so it was a good fit for us. You have classroom time then some range time. Our instructor was Mark Hamilton and I have to say he is extremely patient with newbies. After class you get a certificate proving you took the class. Here is their website:
http://bulldogtacticalgroup.com/index.html

and we also visited and shot different guns at:

East Orange Shooting off of Forsyth Rd. at 7210 Gardner St. in Winter Park http://www.eastorangess.com/index.htm

We chose this location to take our concealed license class because it was $50 cheaper ($25 each for me and my husband) than Shoot Straight. We figured if both were offering classes that would qualify us for concealed carry then we may as well save money. It wasn't because one range was better then the other. East Orange is closer so it worked out for us. The class was about 2 hours (give or take) with the majority of it going over Florida laws and questions/answers with a little bit of range time to prove you can shoot your gun. It's important to realize that this is not a training class and you will not get range time during this class other than proving you can shoot and hit a target. If you feel you are not ready to 'pass' this part of it then simply go to the range several times until you get comfortable with shooting and then take the class. That is what we did.

As far as training it is whatever your funds allow. Going to the range is one thing but taking a class is a whole 'nuther ball game. Obviously, with a new skill you get out of it whatever you put into it.

I don't know that any gun shop in Orlando has corned the market with training and would be superior over another...at least with the two I've mentioned. It has been our experience that there are knowledgeable and caring people at both of these ranges. Yes, they care about selling guns but they equally care that the purchaser knows how to shoot them and are always available for questions either in person or over the phone. I think I've tested the theory that there is no dumb question when it comes to a newbie educating themselves on guns.

I would also echo SwampRat about being mentally ready as well. Any reading you can do to prepare yourself mentally as you take on the responsibility of carrying a gun will be to your advantage.

Hope this helps,

MamaBear

·
Registered
578 Posts
Welcome:drinks

·
Super Moderator
10,783 Posts
Hello, Triniman. I'm another new member in Orlando. Here are a couple of more good indoor ranges: Rieg's Gun Shop on Orange Blossom Trail, just south of Americana on the west side of the street. The Shooting Gallery, northwest corner of 39th and John Young (right across from the jail!). Rieg's is bigger; $10. The Shooting Gallery is $8. If I remember correctly, the Oak Ridge Range mentioned by another member is $12.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts