Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need more guns? Certainly not. But when I find a decent deal on a handgun, I find it very hard to pass up. I've always liked the Smith & Wesson Model 36, but never owned one. A couple of weeks ago, I ran across this one (pinned, no dash) made in the first half of the 1960s I think and couldn't walk away. It was very clean and in great shape. We need to spend some range time together, and then maybe it should get carried some. All of this after I recently sold a somewhat similar SP101: as my wife would say, what are you thinking! Oh well, it is a disease I just have to live with...

·
Registered
54,806 Posts
It's a flat latch early one, no visible turn line, no holster wear, it's an excellent piece of history.

Nice score.

·
Registered
15,189 Posts
I have a model 37 Airweight from the same era that was my dads..looks nothing like yours. Mine has holster wear, and wear from bouncing around under the front seat of his car..I love it. Took it out and ran a box of 158 grain through it, had to break out the bandaids to staunch the beeding fingers..still love it :grin

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the ++. jangeles, this one came off GunBroker. I threw in a low bid at the 11th hour and didn't think I really had a chance. Just goes to show, you never know. Brownie, as you know seeing a photo and seeing the real thing are not the same! This one was actually much better than I thought it would be. As you note, no real sign of blue wear, I pulled the side plate and the internals were very clean, but you will see some kind of "stain" near the top of the trigger. But, overall, I won't complain.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
VERY NICE! Nice find. My uncle has the K-Frame counter part (short barrel Model 10), in excellent condition (it looks mint), bought in the early 60's or late 50's. I'd love to get my hands on it some day.

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
Thanks for the ++. jangeles, this one came off GunBroker. I threw in a low bid at the 11th hour and didn't think I really had a chance. Just goes to show, you never know. Brownie, as you know seeing a photo and seeing the real thing are not the same! This one was actually much better than I thought it would be. As you note, no real sign of blue wear, I pulled the side plate and the internals were very clean, but you will see some kind of "stain" near the top of the trigger. But, overall, I won't complain.
Very nice. I believe what you state as being "stain" appears to be natural color of heat treating on trigger, hammer may have some also.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Very nice. I believe what you state as being "stain" appears to be natural color of heat treating on trigger, hammer may have some also.
You are correct. That 'stain' is called "case coloring" or "case hardening". It is a part of the hardening process of some metals. Considered a plus on many firearms. The picture below is an excellent representation of case coloring

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
That's so purdy! I want one, but in 4".

·
Registered
265 Posts
Nice bit of luck Slim -- I've been watching a bunch of S&W .38s on Gun Broker for a couple months now. (Prices are a bit high there and elsewhere too) But you got a good one. Want to sell it (ha ha)

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
You are correct. That 'stain' is called "case coloring" or "case hardening". It is a part of the hardening process of some metals. Considered a plus on many firearms. The picture below is an excellent representation of case coloring

Bonz, is that a pic of one of your's?

·
Registered
10,569 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Very nice Model 36. I sure you will have fun on the range with that. That staining is heat treating for sure. Smith loves doing that to their revolvers. My 13-3 is the same way. Adds a little character to it.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Beautiful gun - a classic.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Do I need more guns? Certainly not. But when I find a decent deal on a handgun, I find it very hard to pass up. I've always liked the Smith & Wesson Model 36, but never owned one. A couple of weeks ago, I ran across this one (pinned, no dash) made in the first half of the 1960s I think and couldn't walk away. It was very clean and in great shape. We need to spend some range time together, and then maybe it should get carried some. All of this after I recently sold a somewhat similar SP101: as my wife would say, what are you thinking! Oh well, it is a disease I just have to live with...
Beautiful gun, FLSlim!! Congrats on the pick-up, Bud! The old model 36 is one of my favorites of all time. I had one when I worked UC Narcotics. Confiscated it from a guy that was traveling on a Greyhound bus when we were doing highway-interdiction one night. It was an old 36 with a tremendous amount of of scratches, gouges, and other blemishes to the metal and the wood. A huge gouge in the bent front sight as well as a very ugly broken off hammer spur which had never been filed down. The damn thing was just ugly as hell, but it shot GREAT. I bought a lot of dope with that gun in open view of the BG's. They all thought "Ain't no way he's a Police, they wouldn't never carry a gun that ugly." Little did they know. The 36 was condemned to me through the courts, and presented to me by my supervisor as a gift from the S.O. when I retired. I sold it a few years down the road. I'd give an arm and a leg to have that one back. Keep this one in good health, Brother!

Beers y'all,
Ken

1 - 20 of 24 Posts