Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This came to me today and thought others here might appreciate watching a nice video made by one of the many good guys in Blue:

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Amen Brother!

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Have been a follower (fan) of HR Funk for a while and continue to be so. (y)

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
No good deed goes unpunished. Anyone not following orders, unconstitutional or not will get dismissed from their post.

·
Registered
54,224 Posts
This guy did, too.

And he was fired for it.

-on Tapatalk
His mistake was being in uniform and making the video. He should have known better, he probably did and made it anyway. Risk/reward. He took his chances and it bit him in the butt. Right or wrong in the message, don't do it in uniform where you're representing your employer.

A 2 year veteran would know this, I'm sure he must have and made it anyway.

As for Funk, he's far too long winded in his video gun reviews for my tastes. I've told him several times to shorten the vids as others beside myself have decided we're not watching a 15 minute video with 2 minutes of actual shooting time. He didn't listen, he'd have a whole lot more followers if he'd use a little brevity instead of droning on and on.

He's a former jarhead, btw.

·
Super Moderator
26,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
His mistake was being in uniform and making the video. He should have known better, he probably did and made it anyway. Risk/reward. He took his chances and it bit him in the butt. Right or wrong in the message, don't do it in uniform where you're representing your employer.

A 2 year veteran would know this, I'm sure he must have and made it anyway.

As for Funk, he's far too long winded in his video gun reviews for my tastes. I've told him several times to shorten the vids as others beside myself have decided we're not watching a 15 minute video with 2 minutes of actual shooting time. He didn't listen, he'd have a whole lot more followers if he'd use a little brevity instead of droning on and on.

He's a former jarhead, btw.
(y) brownie! Yup, in both videos, the one I posted and the one HSD posted, I was taken aback by their appearance in uniform, the latter even in his cruiser and knew that would be grounds for disciplinary action or worse. Anyone who's even been in the military knows that you cannot protest in uniform because then you appear to be representing your unit, branch, etc. There's a right way and a less than right way to swim upstream and although I agree with the message in both videos, neither did it correctly, IMHO.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
As Brownie alluded to he most likely did know and wore the uniform for more affect and credibility that he was a police officer for all of the followers that viewed the clip and had no idea who he was. Hopefully he set up a gofundme page and is making a bundle.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I watched Funk's video....can someone explain what seems to be the problem with it?
Not trolling....I really want to know.:D

·
Super Moderator
26,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I watched Funk's video....can someone explain what seems to be the problem with it?
Not trolling....I really want to know.:D
The only "problem" with it is he's representing his personal views in protest of other LEOs following orders that violate their sworn Oath to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States, etc., etc.," but doing it while in uniform, which could get him in trouble with his superiors. I sincerely applaud the message of both of these LEOs and only hope he doesn't get into trouble like Officer Greg Anderson of Seattle PD apparently did. If you remember your time in the military, you were allowed to protest, but not in uniform, which would imply you were representing your chain of command and not your personal views, even if you said you were only representing your own views. Although I no longer wear a uniform, as a DoD Civil Servant who's taken that Oath several times over my career, I too have to be careful not to violate the Hatch Act when performing my official duties as a member of the Executive Branch of the Federal government.

·
Registered
54,224 Posts
A police officer swears to uphold the United States Constitution, enforce all Federal, State, and Local Laws. Did Funk mention anything about enforcing federal, state or local laws in that video? Or just the oath to uphold the constitution?

As we all know, far too many state and local laws are in direct conflict with the piece of parchment. So, and we've discussed this before, leo's can't possibly swear to uphold the doc and state and local laws [ obviously all inclusive ]. Some here will tell you, they have to ignore some part of that oath because they should be upholding the doc. Others realize an officer is FORCED to oaths that are in immediate conflict.

Uphold one, violate another. Some will tell you the doc takes precedence over state and local laws. And that very well be true altruistically, but it's obviously NOT true in the real world we move through every day. Are there degrees of oaths? No, an oath is an oath.

Now here's the part I like best. They are sworn to uphold the doc, and unless they are a constitutional scholar fully versed in EVERY aspect of the docs writings, how to hell is anyone expecting another to uphold something they know very little about. In the academy, we had 3 weeks of constitutional law, it was deemed that important apparently. Then we had a few weeks learning some specific state laws, many of which were in direct conflict with the doc.

How can anyone oath to uphold the doc without full knowledge of it's contents, or oath to uphold state laws when they aren't fully versed in the statutes of their respective state?

Bottom line, the oath is a formality holdover that should be abolished. It won't be abolished because it would create liability for the states. Oh well, there's altruistic and then there's the real world we've lived in for decades here in the US

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I will re-watch the video to see what you mean by "in protest".
As a Vet I well remember re not making ANY political statements while in uniform and any statements critical of my Chain of Command up to POTUS.
THX

·
Super Moderator
26,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will re-watch the video to see what you mean by "in protest".
As a Vet I well remember re not making ANY political statements while in uniform and any statements critical of my Chain of Command up to POTUS.
THX
"Protest" may be too strong of a description depending upon one's point of view. I personally didn't see Officer Funk's video as a "protest" but understand how it still could be interpreted that way by his chain of command. I hope not! :unsure:

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I assume this is all about recent rules/regs re mandatory face masks/social distancing and whether these violate constitutional rights. A LEO might well be caught between orders from superiors and his beliefs re rights.
Any possible further discussion re this subject deserves a separate thread.

·
Registered
54,224 Posts
I assume this is all about recent rules/regs re mandatory face masks/social distancing and whether these violate constitutional rights. A LEO might well be caught between orders from superiors and his beliefs re rights.
Any possible further discussion re this subject deserves a separate thread.
Or they could be caught between orders and WHAT they believe is right, not A right. Like being ordered to stand down while people throw rocks and bottles at them as others continue to riot/loot retail establishments, etc. by superiors, who are taking orders from politicians.

Leo's are caught in the middle of many issues between the establishment who decides to violate rights/write laws that violate the doc and the citizens in their AO.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts