Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was rummaging through some photos on the computer this morning and found these from my time working the Flynt mansion as head of security for Althea while Larry was in jail.

Thought the members might like to see what the end of 83 and beginning of 84 had brought me for work for 2 months. Spent Christmas and New Years out at 365 St. Cloud street, Bel Air East, Los Angeles, Ca. in the mansion district.

Johnny Carson lived two homes north and across the street, Jerry Lewis lived same side just south, and Robert Stack's place was directly east and abutted the mansion property.

I was enlisted to stay and set up a new security force for the mansion by the Flynt's after we secured the home from the exiting people Larry wanted removed. While there for a few months till Feb 84, I was charged as being Mrs. Flynt "shadow" for Larry. She didn't move out of the house without my presence day or night.

Flynt publications was making 20+ million a year back then and spending over 1 million on protection yearly. Here's how the rich and shameless lived back then.

1st pic is gate 1 west side entrance
2nd pic is south side entrance from pool
3rd pic is south side of mansion looking west
4th pic is north side entrance
5th pic is north side and the fishpond [ about 30 japanese carp in there ] looking through the gazeebo

Brownie

Attachments

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
More pics--------

1st pic is the gazeebo. If you look closely to just left of center you'll see a burn pattern where a molotov cocktail was thrown over the north wall one night harassing the family based on their business.

2nd pic is the Flynt Lincoln limo I drove for Althea and her "guests" if we left the mansion. Notice the plate [ LCF7 ]. Stands for Larry Claxton Flynt. That's me on the radio getting the detail ready to move and checking the limo one morning before we departed for the office headquarters downtown L.A. Robert Stack's place is just behind that row of hedges to the left of the photo.

3rd pic is of myself and the limo.

Brownie

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Brownie,

I'm not sure which is scarier - your suit or your hair!

OR

could it be that the late '70s and early '80 were just scary fashion times any way you look at it?!

MamaBear, running from Brownie and hoping he never sees my high school graduation picture

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
could it be that the late '70s and early '80 were just scary fashion times any way you look at it?!

They were scary times indeed Mamabear, and not just because of the clothing and hair styles:rolf

And now Señor Flynt et al is asking for gov't bailout money.

Why not, they're handing it out to everyone else:dancingbanana

Our politicians working hard with our tax dollars again, thats all.

Brownie

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
You can try to throw us off the scent Brownie, but we can clearly see through the ruse and realize that is really pictures of your Arizona compound. :D

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A nice thought Ron, a little gaudy and austentatious for my tastes, but I wouldn't pass up the chance to have something like that in the country out of the way with, say 3-400 yrds of open area on all sides to be used as a "no mans land area" and watched by a few towers with NV equipped 14's/M1a's and a few 50's:rolf

Brownie

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
If that happens, please allow me to man one tower from time to time. :D

Those wild 70's were quite a time on a number of levels. My close friend is involved in security work in the music industry. He and his associates have many fond memories of those 'good old days.' I believe he was living out there about the same time you were, providing security for Fleetwood Mac.

The opulent lifestyle of Bel Air and Southern California was really a unique period, particularly in the music and entertainment industry. They were very disciplined due to their jobs and lifestyle of intense karate and physical training. Perhaps being young and in your prime at that time helped.

And yes, he wrote a book about it, but did not giveaway any information that would have compromised or embarrassed his clients. Discretion, particularly at that level is expected and insisted upon.

I'm trying to imagine any aspect about Flynt that employed that trait. :D

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
It looks like you got your fashion sense from Leroy Thompson. :laughing

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Deadeye,

It was the early 80's, when 3 piece suits were "in" and I had more hair then:laughing In reality, the "cut" was conservative compared to most ;)

Mr. Thompson, now there's a guy who knew a few things in his day. Hadn't heard his name mentioned in quite some time [ but I haven't read gun rags for many years either.:drinks

Brownie

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Well, I must admit..you've got more moxy than me..Ain't no way I'm posting pics of me back then...by the early 80's I was already working gigs here in Florida. However, I grew up down there and know that area well. Being from Bakersfield I had a chance to work with alot of the C&W personalities of that time back in the early to late 70's..made regular runs to the "Hills" for lets just say..things that were not legal, of course it was all for a good cause, usually the man signing the checks...but the pay was good..Hair down to the middle of my back helped me blend in with the uhhhhh.....clients..:D

Think I've still got a couple of them 3 pc suits in the closet..man, does that bring back memories long forgotten

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SwampRat,

made regular runs to the "Hills" for lets just say..things that were not legal, of course it was all for a good cause, usually the man signing the checks..

Back then it took serious money to get me to "work" in that environ. Larry offered me $3500.00 cash a week to "shadow" Althea at all costs and stay on after I set up the new security force at the mansion. I couldn't cash checks out there, course I wasn't supposed to be carrying out there either:rolf

Couldn't say no to that kind of money. I got room and board at the mansion as well in that gig for two months:dancingbanana, then I had to get back to the east coast as court cases there were being postponed until I returned and the judges were none too happy.

That 8 week gig paid 28K without incentives and bonuses, fair money for 1984. Alas, all good thing come to an end :rolleyes:

Brownie

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Fair to middlin anyway:rolf

Larry considered her safety paramount as she was running Flynt Publications in his absence and there was indication his forethought to provide her with full time "personal aids" was warranted.

I had Danny Inosanto and Larry Hartsell working midnights inside the mansion many nights, still have one of Danny's personal straight blades he gave me when I left Flynt's employ and Ca.

Chump change compared to the company being taken over by his brother if something were to happen to her.

Brownie

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Now those two are a blast from the past and became very well known..One thing about it Brownie...I had more fun than you did..I was doing musicians:)..like Haggard, Owens, Call, Lil Jimmy Dickens, Doobie Bro's...and they were all ...well lets just say..not normal...not that Larry Flynt is normal by any means..BTW, you still look funny in that 3 pc suit and the long hair..For an old JarHead thats out of character...SIR..

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you still look funny in that 3 pc suit and the long hair.

Just trying to "blend in" man, just trying to "blend in":rolf

I'd rather have been working with your clients than mine SwampRat.

Brownie

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
I'd rather have had the money back then..:)..those were big time gigs back then Brownie..you were on top of the heap..guys like me were sucking eggs for a paycheck and sometimes we didnt even get that...That's why the bouncing gigs to pay the bills. Damn good stuff my friend. A lot of years ago but still good memories...

Man, we are talking 25-35 years ago like it was yesterday. Most on here cant even relate and some weren't even born yet...We having fun yet?

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
those were big time gigs back then Brownie.

All in the connections my friend, just being in the right place at the right time I guess.

Man, we are talking 25-35 years ago like it was yesterday. Most on here cant even relate and some weren't even born yet...We having fun yet?

I know I am!!!!!!!!! :thumsup

The stories that could be told coming out of that St. Cloud street, I tell ya, it's not fit for print.:D

Brownie

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
...Man, we are talking 25-35 years ago like it was yesterday. Most on here cant even relate and some weren't even born yet...We having fun yet?
Early 80's I was just about graduating High School. You guys are old.. :rolf

But still :drinks anytime...

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Early 80's I was just about graduating High School. You guys are old..

So when SwampRat and I were in the service of this country, you would have been crawling around on the floor as an infant?:rolf

When I was 20, I thought I knew everything. Then I turned 30, and understodd I didn't know anything at 20 but I knew everything then at 30. Then I turned 40 and understood I didn't know anything at 30, but I knew everything at 40. Now I'm closing in on 60 and I have come to the realization I'm just going to keep learning forever.

Brownie

1 - 20 of 29 Posts