Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have never seen a sign forbidding them... although maybe I didn't look in the right place.

But dose anyone out there carry in Florida's amusement parks?
Seems like it would be a good place to carry.

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
I have on several occasions without incident. I vaguely recall seeing some sign at some theme park (can't remember if it was a Disney or Universal park) about no weapons allowed, but it's not legally binding. They can't ask you to leave if they don't know you have it, and the only kind of security screening I've seen at theme park entrances is a cursory bag check...so don't carry a gun in your purse. :rolf

Actually, I'm a little surprised that the major theme parks haven't installed metal detectors, but I suppose that's to keep the customers from thinking that they're necessary. If and when some sort of shooting incident occurs at one of the big parks, I'm sure that'll change. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
The only reference I've ever encountered at Disney is on the parking lot trams when they say something to the effect of, "If you have anything on you that you would rather not have discovered by Security then we recommend you take it back to your car now."

I've always assumed this was a reference to firearms but I'm not totally sure.

I have discussed this with a freind who was a former Security guard at Disney and he said that if they discover you have a gun they will report it to the on-site Orange County Sheriff and trespass you, asking you to leave.

I've never seen any signs and, as stated previously, the only Security check is a very cursory look into your bag.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Taking my 5yr old grand daughter to Mickey world next week Wed and I will be adequately protected.
They don't have to know about it.

·
Super Moderator
10,821 Posts
Keep in mind that if it's a long trip for you, and you end up being asked to leave because they've somehow noticed it, it could mean a lot of disappointment and aggravation. Personally, I'd probably accept the risk and leave the weaponry outside or at home.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Taking my 5yr old grand daughter to Mickey world next week Wed and I will be adequately protected.
They don't have to know about it.
L A,

Could you please post how your visit to Mickey World went with this?

Let us know what types of security measures you encountered. (ie: signs, metal detectors, body cavity searches :eek:, etc.)

I think many here would appreciate your advice on what to do and not do based upon your experience.

Thanks!

TampaSsgt

·
Registered
192 Posts
They are looking for bombs. Granted, if you are considered a problem you will be asked to leave. And you will not get a refund.

·
Registered
236 Posts
?? Looking for bombs

I just returned tonight from the land of Mickey. I left my little J frame in the car. I have a couple of observations. Whatever the security guards are trying to accomplish by their examination of the bags strikes me as futile. If you wanted to carry a bomb in there all you had to do would be to carry it in your pocket. While I was watching one of the shows at MGM studio I kept thinking that this place was the Mother of all soft targets for any one with bad ideas. Thousands of defensless people packed so tightly together that running away from a threat would turn into a stampeed guaranteed and any LEO trying to get to the bad guys would be unable to do so because everyone would be running them over. I sincerly hope there is never an attack in those parks because it is not going to be pretty.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Whatever the security guards are trying to accomplish by their examination of the bags strikes me as futile. If you wanted to carry a bomb in there all you had to do would be to carry it in your pocket. While I was watching one of the shows at MGM studio I kept thinking that this place was the Mother of all soft targets for any one with bad ideas.
This has been of the prime target scenarios in my mind since 1993. It would be a very great emotional impact on the US, possibly more than the towers.

I have to figure there is a lot of security stuff that we don't see. We can't be the only ones who see Disney World as a prime target.

There's an author by the name of John Ringo who came up with a pretty scary scenario involving a couple of Orlando area attacks.

You can read it online.
http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/...wsThatCatchCD/A Deeper Blue/A_Deeper_Blue.htm

·
Registered
59 Posts
L A,

Could you please post how your visit to Mickey World went with this?

Let us know what types of security measures you encountered. (ie: signs, metal detectors, body cavity searches :eek:, etc.)

I think many here would appreciate your advice on what to do and not do based upon your experience.

Thanks!

TampaSsgt
TampaSsgt - I will be going up there this coming Wed and will provide feedback on Thursday or Friday

From DrBarbara's report it appears that they only do bag searches and no 'body cavity' checks. I will not be carrying any bags with potentially incriminating items.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
As I have no job right now, I spent a little time thinking about amusement park "searches".

I think probably the main reason they don't want to set up metal detectors is simple: long lines.

They want people streaming in and out of the park (mainly, in) smoothly and without freakishly long lines at the entry. Long lines at rides are another matter, and probably incidental compared with lines just to get people in the park.

We're all almost always going to have to some bit of metal on us that'll need to be removed before passing through the detectors. That eats up time right there. Chances are, most people will miss something. More time. Then the folks have to get their items back and proceed. More time. Eventually, there'll be a huge bottleneck to get into the park.

With the ever increasing ticket prices, folks are going to be less willing to be subjected to long lines and waits for metal detector searches, I think.

And just how thorough are they in checking bags? From what I recall, way back when I had to take a diaper bag through, the search was cursory. False bottoms and hidden pouches can EASILY get past those "security" checkpoints. Why such a flimsy search? To get all those folks into the park quickly, forking over their dough for freakishly overpriced concessions and gifts.

They're not concerned with park safety so much as providing the guests the illusion of safety, so they'll feel safe to go inside and throw their money away.

-JT

·
Super Moderator
10,821 Posts
Sounds right. The lines to get into Busch Gardens even after you have your ticket are already horrendous.

·
Registered
59 Posts
OH BOY!!!!! . . . keeping up with a 5yr old at Magic Kingdom at my age was one major effort!!!! I was totally wiped out after 11.5hrs (9am to 8:30pm). What a grandpa won't do for the grand children!!

Carried my PX4 in a cheap Uncle Mike's IWB. No problems with printing or showing at any time. My kids never knew I had it under the t-shirt.

No issues at the gates. Only cursery bag checking. No metal detectors, No wands, and I did not pay enough attention to any signs that might have been posted at the entry points. At that time my grand daughter was demanding all my attention

BUT- I need to get something better than the nylon Uncle Mike's IWB. It chafed and rubbed in all the wrong places all day long!!!! I was carrying it cross-draw at about 10 o'clock. Due to right shoulder restrictions I am unable to draw from anywhere behind the 3 o'clock position. It has to be either appendix or cross.

I am currently considering the High Noon IWB tuckables as the next investment.

Just to clarify, my PX4 is my alternative on the body carry for such places where 'bag searches' will take place. My daily carry is an FN 5.7 in a Maxpedition Fatboy. Was not going to subject that bag to scrutiny at Mickey World, so it stayed home for the day.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
OH BOY!!!!! . . . keeping up with a 5yr old at Magic Kingdom at my age was one major effort!!!! I was totally wiped out after 11.5hrs (9am to 8:30pm). What a grandpa won't do for the grand children!!

Carried my PX4 in a cheap Uncle Mike's IWB. No problems with printing or showing at any time. My kids never knew I had it under the t-shirt.

No issues at the gates. Only cursery bag checking. No metal detectors, No wands, and I did not pay enough attention to any signs that might have been posted at the entry points. At that time my grand daughter was demanding all my attention

BUT- I need to get something better than the nylon Uncle Mike's IWB. It chafed and rubbed in all the wrong places all day long!!!! I was carrying it cross-draw at about 10 o'clock. Due to right shoulder restrictions I am unable to draw from anywhere behind the 3 o'clock position. It has to be either appendix or cross.

I am currently considering the High Noon IWB tuckables as the next investment.

Just to clarify, my PX4 is my alternative on the body carry for such places where 'bag searches' will take place. My daily carry is an FN 5.7 in a Maxpedition Fatboy. Was not going to subject that bag to scrutiny at Mickey World, so it stayed home for the day.
Thanks for the detailed info. :drinks

So in your opinion, if someone is going to go to Walt Disney World, carrying concealed is not only an option, but can be done easily?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for the detailed info. :drinks

So in your opinion, if someone is going to go to Walt Disney World, carrying concealed is not only an option, but can be done easily?

Concealed carry on the body is easy - based on my experience at Magic Kingdom.

How comfortable it will be, will depend on the gun and the holster you will be carrying.

How concealable will depend on your clothing. I had Cargo's with an untucked T-Shirt and for the cooler time of the day I was also carrying a sweatshirt.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wife and I belong to Disney's Vacation Club, so we're pretty much regular's. One of the things we've noticed is increased air traffic since 9/11. I'm sure it's security related, but not sure what they're doing. As far as checking bags, always figured they just wanted bad guys to know they were checking, so don't bother bringing bombs in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts