Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off, hope this is the right section for this.

ok, so i just came in from walking my dog. Seven year old basset/begal mix. As were (dog and I) were standing in our yard, the neighbor came out with her two pits. Unleashed of course they come running up to use barking. As they are approaching i place my hand on the butt of my gun in anticipation of an attack. They however didnt attack, just kinda sniffed and walked back home.

Then i thought to myself, if i had of course had to draw and shoot, would i have been in the wrong and did a little research. This is the best i could find.

767.11 http://archive.flsenate.gov/statute....HTM&Title=->2009->Ch0767->Section 11#0767.11

767.03 http://archive.flsenate.gov/statute....HTM&Title=->2009->Ch0767->Section 03#0767.03

would i have been in the clear? Even if i was or would be, id prefer not to have to shoot a dog. Plus it would kinda be akward saying "morning" the the people whoms dog i killed. lol.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
You were in your yard, 2 dogs trespassed onto your property, the unleashed dogs were barking and showing aggression, and they were PITS?.... Are you serious? I think you would have been more than in the clear...

·
Super Moderator
10,661 Posts
+1. If you're attacked in a place that you have a right to be in, you can defend yourself.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
A dog is very capable of taking a human life especially a pit

·
Registered
7,941 Posts
Would have shot them. I walk our beagle and carry both my g17 and a Ruger LCR with shotshell. The shotshell is for dogs, I dont want a 9mm bouncing off pavement and hitting a human if I whiff a shot. This logic comes from a hole in my SC house, made by a round that missed a dog.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
A friend had her cat attacked in her yard by the neighbors pit bull. They were pounding on that dog and it wouldn't let go. Had my neighbor had a gun she said she would have shot the dog. When she called animal control they were not so considerate. Asked her if HER cat was on a leash. No dummy the DOG was in MY yard and NOT on a leash. Today she is taking my NRA pistol class with her son and getting a couple of Glocks

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I had to shoot my stepsons dog when it turned on us (an american bulldog, 125 lbs), I would have no qualms about shooting someone else's dog if it attacked me.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Carry a Glock 19 every morning on my walk and will drop a charging dog without hesitation.

Don't forget the magic words whether you shoot a dog or a man; "I feared for my life officer".

·
Registered
20,500 Posts
our retractable leash housing has a jogger pepper spray attached to it and i generally have pepper spray in my pocket wherever i go...this would have been a perfect opportunity to lay down a little barrier for the dogs to run into...without having to shoot anything but an irritant...

your gun isnt your only protection...

·
Registered
16,870 Posts
our retractable leash housing has a jogger pepper spray attached to it and i generally have pepper spray in my pocket wherever i go...this would have been a perfect opportunity to lay down a little barrier for the dogs to run into...without having to shoot anything but an irritant...

Lost cause.. :zip

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I love all of the ignorance in this thread in regards to pitbulls. This is turning into another snake thread...

·
Registered
7,941 Posts

Agreed, wife carries pepper spray, here in Fl. Up in South Carolina the loose dogs wont be stopped by spray. Some hunters up there use a dog for deer season, then cut 'em loose. These are mean dogs, ya shoot 'em and feed 'em to the gators in my pond.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts

The depends on how big and snarly the dog is and how fast he is charging. I carry pepper spray too but if I go to that and it doesn't work or I miss and the dog gets hold of me when my gun is in the holster then I made a huge mistake by going to the pepper spray first.

A dog that will viciously attack someone will attack again in the future and doesn't deserve to walk away with a little pepper spray. Same for a human.

·
Registered
20,500 Posts
The depends on how big and snarly the dog is and how fast he is charging. I carry pepper spray too but if I go to that and it doesn't work or I miss and the dog gets hold of me when my gun is in the holster then I made a huge mistake by going to the pepper spray first.

A dog that will viciously attack someone will attack again in the future and doesn't deserve to walk away with a little pepper spray. Same for a human.
thats what animal control is for...and your telephone...and i missed the viscious attack part of the op...

·
Registered
16,870 Posts
thats what animal control is for...and your telephone...and i missed the viscious attack part of the op...
Tha's because you were not paying attention...

Unleashed of course they come running up to use barking. As they are approaching i place my hand on the butt of my gun in anticipation of an attack. They however didnt attack, just kinda sniffed and walked back home.
I believe Stock acted as a cautious person anticipating an attack that never came, considering his options with what he had on hand. I hope after reading the comments on this thread he consider other options also. :thumsup

A pepper spray, retractable baton, or other posible defense (even a Raid can I heard! :laughing) in your non dominant hand is always an option when facing a possible threat.... that's when you don't have you precious gun in our forehead as the only tool for SD... [SD and maybe even to hammer that nail sticking out of the stairs rail that is ruining some of your clothes...] :dunno

Every time we go into these stupid dogs threads I wonder what some people would do when facing a mentally or chemically disturbed person, that even when not armed could be as lethal and dangerous, or a scared corraled animal, or a distracted wife returning home unexpectedly... Oh wait! Forget it. That we know! I just close my eyes and see bullets flying every time...

Take your time people, and think a little how would you react in diffenrent situations and plan ahead different courses of action. Even when you are legally and socially justified to use deadly force, doesn't mean you will feel good about it, ever. After you shoot, like with everything else in life, you will always be haunted by the what iffies. Only being totally justified makes you feel in peace... sometimes. At least if you have a concience. JMO.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I'm trying to understand how that would work. Dog is charging me, I have a gun, but I grab my cell phone and call animal control?

·
Registered
12,914 Posts
We had a neighbor's pit bull come trotting across the street toward my infant and I would have shot it in a heartbeat if it had attacked.

Deadly force is legal to stop deadly force. 'Nuff said.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts