Florida Concealed Carry banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
It's why I like leather, if you use that 3:00 belt loop for the front tab when you sit or drive it's comfortable you just slide it forward then when you get out you slide it back ,you can draw with the seatbelt on.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
It's why I like leather, if you use that 3:00 belt loop for the front tab when you sit or drive it's comfortable you just slide it forward then when you get out you slide it back ,you can draw with the seatbelt on.
It's why I totally agree with You ! Leather has always been around for a long time , It is quite soft , form fitting [ If made right ] pliable & moveable quite easily .

They can also be modified to your liking in a few ways. If properly maintained , it will last for many years , just ask me as i have made my share JFYI (y)

Did you ever see Anyone wearing Kydex for a wheel gun , A shoulder holster ? No thank you ;) Just IMO guys .

Wear one Where You'll be Comfortable , Safe , Easy to Access and Confident . This is Your Life and on You to be Proficient . Opinions Will Naturally Vary my friends !

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
The holster that works best for me is the Hybird saddle from Andrews custom leather with thumb break now it's about 175$ and matching 2 mag holder 65$, custom re-enforced bullhide belt 100$ from TT gunleather. I have 10 years on this rig and it looks like new, one for 1911s and one for a glock 21SF.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
The holster that works best for me is the Hybird saddle from Andrews custom leather with thumb break now it's about 175$ and matching 2 mag holder 65$, custom re-enforced bullhide belt 100$ from TT gunleather. I have 10 years on this rig and it looks like new, one for 1911s and one for a glock 21SF.
Hi Mr. Earl 007 - They all sound like real winners to me ! I know you have been around with both reloading and choosing proper leather components ..

I have seen some examples from that holster maker & real nice work IMO ..those prices may seem steep to some of the newer shooters .

Believe me , as a personal hobby for me making them , they're well worth the quality ,workmanship, fit & finish ;)(y) 'G'

·
Registered
14,175 Posts
Sam Andrew’s is a master craftsman. He makes incredible kit.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
^^^ he does indeed. I have a custom shoulder holster he had made for a friend for his USP .45. It had a double mag pouch and a snap that attached a custom tanto knife to it. My buddy needed money and sold me the .45 and the shoulder holster but kept the knife sheath. Very well made and like brand new 25 years later. (y)

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
I think Tex Grebner might have said an expletive, too:
I do not know the man in the video posted , but i will say it's a Great Example of what NOT TO DO ! . *My Uncle [ navy veteran ] was messing with my father's .32 Savage . It was loaded [ one up ] and he ended putting one in his thigh - IDIOT !

Not to speak I'll of the dead , but some years back i sent him up a Marine K'bar . About [ 4 ] months later he told me it broke on him* . I asked how the hell did that happen ? He said "I was using it as a Hammer" , Can You Fix This ? ..MAN :mad:

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
He missed shop class where a screw driver is not a pry bar or chisel and a kbar is not a hammer, must of skipped that day and went to a house party.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
He missed shop class where a screw driver is not a pry bar or chisel and a kbar is not a hammer, must of skipped that day and went to a house party.
I think you did an Excellent job of Profiling My Uncle ! He moved to NPRichey about 7 years ago ..He had purchased a .357 just prior to moving to Pasco Ct'y .

My Uncle brought that down here & told me a local LEO stopped him Walking from his trailer park ..I asked Why ? - He replied "The Leo stopped me & advised It was Not Legal" to Wear my gun exposed ! [ YIKES ] :eek::rolleyes:(n)

Personally I Think that he had a Deficit in his Prefrontal Cortex . Now I Clearly understood Why my Father would Only take him Fishing & NEVER HUNTING. Smart Man My Dad ;) My Uncle was nice to me , but had a brain like Mush !

To top this whole thing off , My Uncle gave All of my Grandfathers Highly Collectable old .22 rifles to his Leo buddy + My Dads .32 Savage !. He told me he was afraid to transport them to FL., 'Except' for his .357 :mad:

Reactions: Earl 007

·
Super Moderator
30,376 Posts
I think you did an Excellent job of Profiling him ! He moved to NPRichey about 7 years ago ..He had purchased a .357 just prior to moving to Pasco Ct'y .

He brought that down here & told me a local Leo stopped him walking from his trailer park ..I asked Why ? - He replied "The Leo stopped me & advised It was Not Legal" to Wear my gun exposed ! [ YIKES ] :eek::rolleyes:(n)

Personally I Think that he had a Deficit in his Prefrontal Cortex . Now I Clearly understood Why my Father would Only take him Fishing & NEVER HUNTING. Smart Man My Dad ;) My Unc was nice to me , but had a brain like Mush !

To top this whole thing off , He gave All of my Grandfathers Highly Collectable old .22 rifles to his Leo buddy + My Dads .32 Savage !. He told me he was afraid to transport them to FL., 'Except' for his .357 :mad:
Actually Gunner, in your brother's defense, LEOs aren't very good advisors on what "is or is not legal" and if your brother was open carrying under one of the exemptions listed in f.s.790.250(3)(g),(h), or (j) and maybe a few others, then f.s. 790.06 doesn't apply and open carry is NOT illegal by statute:
(3) LAWFUL USES.—The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:
(a) Members of the Militia, National Guard, Florida State Defense Force, Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, organized reserves, and other armed forces of the state and of the United States, when on duty, when training or preparing themselves for military duty, or while subject to recall or mobilization;
(b) Citizens of this state subject to duty in the Armed Forces under s. 2, Art. X of the State Constitution, under chapters 250 and 251, and under federal laws, when on duty or when training or preparing themselves for military duty;
(c) Persons carrying out or training for emergency management duties under chapter 252;
(d) Sheriffs, marshals, prison or jail wardens, police officers, Florida highway patrol officers, game wardens, revenue officers, forest officials, special officers appointed under the provisions of chapter 354, and other peace and law enforcement officers and their deputies and assistants and full-time paid peace officers of other states and of the Federal Government who are carrying out official duties while in this state;
(e) Officers or employees of the state or United States duly authorized to carry a concealed weapon;
(f) Guards or messengers of common carriers, express companies, armored car carriers, mail carriers, banks, and other financial institutions, while actually employed in and about the shipment, transportation, or delivery of any money, treasure, bullion, bonds, or other thing of value within this state;

(g) Regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive weapons from the United States or from this state, or regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for target, skeet, or trap shooting, while at or going to or from shooting practice; or regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for modern or antique firearms collecting, while such members are at or going to or from their collectors’ gun shows, conventions, or exhibits;
(h) A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition
;
(i) A person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of any such person while engaged in the lawful course of such business;
(j) A person firing weapons for testing or target practice under safe conditions and in a safe place not prohibited by law or going to or from such place;
(k) A person firing weapons in a safe and secure indoor range for testing and target practice;
(l) A person traveling by private conveyance when the weapon is securely encased or in a public conveyance when the weapon is securely encased and not in the person’s manual possession;

. . .
. . .

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Actually Gunner, in your brother's defense, LEOs aren't very good advisors on what "is or is not legal" and if your brother was open carrying under one of the exemptions listed in f.s.790.250(3)(g),(h), or (j) and maybe a few others, then f.s. 790.06 doesn't apply and open carry is NOT illegal by statute:
Mr. BH - Reference post # 31 / 33 . He was my Uncle , Not my brother .. I read All of the statutes you listed and Not One applied to my Uncle at that time IMO .

He was walking , and going to the food store . Not Anything related to going or coming from any shooting place in Pasco Ct'y . My Uncle was Not in any component of Any Organization. He had No Exemptions at all , pertinent to your above posting .

He was Not authorized to 'Open Carry' in Any capacity at Anytime residing in Florida . My Uncle , My Father's
Brother
always 'Fantasied' about being a LEO ..

My Uncle's buddy an Actual LEO in N.J. , use to let him 'Ride Along' with him on night patrols .. Thus [ in my mind ] My Uncle was definitely Pretending to be a LEO in his own mind . At that Particular time When the FL LEO Stopped him 'Walking' , with his S&W .357 Strapped and Wide Open for All to see it .

*Maybe I'll make this whole thing much clearer . Example : Say it was Me , instead of My Uncle . I had a .357 carrying open , walking down the street . Even iF I had a CWP [ which i do not now ] , there is No law as far as I know in Florida , that would Ever allow that to be Legal in Any way shape or form IMO .

Maybe I'm missing something ? - Please reply as i need Clarification in this 'exact situation' . If you think what i have described as clearly as possible , is Legal then I'll start Open Carrying myself . To Me , The Exact same thing :rolleyes: Thank You Much for your input.;)

·
Super Moderator
30,376 Posts
Gunner, I was only providing possible reasons your uncle might not have been carrying illegally because it wasnt clear what the full context of why your uncle was carrying openly (we didn't know "the exact situation"). Sorry I misunderstood that you were talking about your brother vice your uncle.

Regardless, my comment about getting legal advice from LEOs still stands; an LEO is the last place to get advice on what's not legal. It's not always their fault since training on the statutes isn't very comprehensive in most Law Enforcement Academies and they're pretty busy just trying to keep up with procedure and tactics to stay alive and make it home at the end of their shift. So they often lack free time for getting their noses into the statutes themselves and asking their department legal advisor for deeper insight into the law and instead rely on minimal trading or what someone more senior in their department told them. That's why so many LEOs still think there's a "3-step rule" when there is no such thing in Florida! 🤔

Reactions: 196THL.I.B.GUNNER

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Gunner, I was only providing possible reasons your uncle might not have been carrying illegally because it wasnt clear what the full context of why your uncle was carrying openly (we didn't know "the exact situation"). Sorry I misunderstood that you were talking about your brother vice your uncle.

Regardless, my comment about getting legal advice from LEOs still stands; an LEO is the last place to get advice on what's not legal. It's not always their fault since training on the statutes isn't very comprehensive in most Law Enforcement Academies and they're pretty busy just trying to keep up with procedure and tactics to stay alive and make it home at the end of their shift. So they often lack free time for getting their noses into the statutes themselves and asking their department legal advisor for deeper insight into the law and instead rely on minimal trading or what someone more senior in their department told them. That's why so many LEOs still think there's a "3-step rule" when there is no such thing in Florida! 🤔
Thank you so very much with your astute reply . Please educate me of what is called the "3 Step Rule" albeit Not applicable in florida .. My best to you 'G'

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you so very much with your astute reply . Please educate me of what is called the "3 Step Rule" albeit Not applicable in florida .. My best to you 'G'
An example of the 3-Step Rule would be: step one, your gun is unloaded. Step two, your gun is in a closed case, or in a holster with the snapping, or buckling retention strap. Step three, your gun is in the case, or holster, and is then put into the glove box, or center console. I don't think Florida has a 3-Step Rule.

·
Super Moderator
30,376 Posts
Gunner, it's a MYTH likely perpetuated by LEO Training Officers and [inappropriately] used by their LEO trainees to assess whether a person [without a Concealed Weapons Permit] was carrying a firearm in their vehicle legally. That's about all I'll say on the subject. Otherwise one risks "negative training" or perpetuating the myth even further!

·
Super Moderator
30,376 Posts
An example of the 3-Step Rule would be: step one, your gun is unloaded. Step two, your gun is in a closed case, or in a holster with the snapping, or buckling retention strap. Step three, your gun is in the case, or holster, and is then put into the glove box, or center console. I don't think Florida has a 3-Step Rule.
See post #37 or the dozens of threads running the "3 Step" MYTH to ground multiple times.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Thank You very much Mr. 'oldhunter'1954 ! That makes everything crystal clear to me now . I know that I am a stickler on Carry Laws , But it's just in my nature . It is very possible that i did not explain it properly . If So , My Bad ;)

21 - 40 of 53 Posts