Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of flying to Pennsylvania to visit family. What happens if the plane gets diverted to NYC because of weather? I will be taking an AR and my handgun.

·
Registered
54,331 Posts
I am thinking of flying to Pennsylvania to visit family. What happens if the plane gets diverted to NYC? I will be taking an AR and my handgun.
You could wind up in jail, have the guns confiscated, pay huge atty fees, and receive a criminal record thereby negating you ever owning/carrying a firearm again.

Risk/reward analysis would have me NOT bringing guns.

·
Registered
10,931 Posts
If you must bring your gun(s), and you get diverted to NY or NJ, do NOT take possession of your luggage. Insist that the airlines keep them and transfer them. If you take possession and then re-check your bags (and declare your firearm), you WILL be going to jail.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Call the airline and see what their policies are. I got connecting flights and didn't ever have to claim my guns. I would imagine, a "layover" due to weather would be the same. However, it would depend. But best to confirm.

·
Registered
54,331 Posts
If you must bring your gun(s), and you get diverted to NY or NJ, do NOT take possession of your luggage. Insist that the airlines keep them and transfer them. If you take possession and then re-check your bags (and declare your firearm), you WILL be going to jail.
If they discover the checked gun, he may still run afoul in NYC on the diversion whether he takes possession or not. NYC doesn't even honor NYstates permits unless that permit is approved by the city itself

·
Registered
10,931 Posts
If they discover the checked gun, he may still run afoul in NYC on the diversion whether he takes possession or not. NYC doesn't even honor NYstates permits unless that permit is approved by the city itself
Oy! Those states are so ****ed up!

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I would not take them personally. If so worried about having them, ship them FFL to FFL and pick up in Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
54,331 Posts
I would not take them personally. If so worried about having them, ship them FFL to FFL and pick up in Pennsylvania.
He can ship them to himself in care of his friend legally. The person receiving them is not allowed to open the box, only the owner who sent them to himself. I've done just that a few times, it's legal according to a t f.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up :thumsup

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He can ship them to himself in care of his friend legally. The person receiving them is not allowed to open the box, only the owner who sent them to himself. I've done just that a few times, it's legal according to a t f.
Great advice. Thanks

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
I would do this. Have family in PA. Never had this issue, but if I did, this is how I would handle it. I brought my firearm to a FL airport. The airline brought it to NY. Won't be catching me with a gun in those states.

Well, unless I'm just passing through. Like how I did when in Chicago last year. Locked up the guns per Federal rules and unlocked once out of IL.

The government can kiss my a$$ if they think they can intimidate me into giving up my rights. Piss off.

-on Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons#shipping-firearms-additional

·
Super Moderator
26,609 Posts
Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons#shipping-firearms-additional
:2thumsup

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I do believe you've just saved me a big hassle of bringing a long gun down from Minnesota to Florida this month.

Checked on the ATF website and it's true! Seems odd, but then there's lots of odd things about the government I still don't get.

Thanks for the tip.

AD

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
I do believe you've just saved me a big hassle of bringing a long gun down from Minnesota to Florida this month.

Checked on the ATF website and it's true! Seems odd, but then there's lots of odd things about the government I still don't get.

Thanks for the tip.

AD
And for long guns, you can use USPS which is even easier than dealing with UPS or FedEx.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
I avoid itineraries which involve a change of planes in NY or NJ.
As for the plane being diverted due to weather....don't touch your suitcase in either state/have the airline put it on the connecting flight you are on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This seems to be the standard answer to this question when it comes up. But many times during the winter, a plane can be diverted to an evil state due to snow. The airlines will put people in a hotel near the airport overnight. What if the passenger needs to get his meds from the luggage that he’s supposed to “leave checked”? He can’t brush his teeth, spray under his armpits, charge his cellphone, etc. Plus that unclaimed bag will now be taken from the carrousel, & go to the unclaimed baggage office, where you will have to claim it. Sorry, I don’t want to see Rikers from the inside. GARY.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
We treat state drivers licenses the same across all 50 states and that's not even a right. Driving is categorized as a privilege (LOL). Air travel with firearms creates a ridiculous set of potential problems, all of our own creation. That's why I prefer to only travel with firearms when I'm driving.

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
This seems to be the standard answer to this question when it comes up. But many times during the winter, a plane can be diverted to an evil state due to snow. The airlines will put people in a hotel near the airport overnight. What if the passenger needs to get his meds from the luggage that he’s supposed to “leave checked”? He can’t brush his teeth, spray under his armpits, charge his cellphone, etc. Plus that unclaimed bag will now be taken from the carrousel, & go to the unclaimed baggage office, where you will have to claim it. Sorry, I don’t want to see Rikers from the inside. GARY.
What if the passenger needs to get his meds from the luggage that he’s supposed to “leave checked”?

The same thing the passenger would do if their bags were lost. Open their carry on and take out what they need. As a cancer survivor, I can tell you that only an idiot would check their important meds instead of carrying them on.

As far as the baggage office is concerned. Make a phone call and give them the address of where to send the luggage. It really is that simple. Remember, we're discussing what the airline did. The passenger had no say.

Nope, still not letting myself get bullied into leaving my guns behind because of "what if?" I refuse to live my life that way.

-on Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 43 Posts