Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I took StandBy's 'Advanced Concealed Carry' class at Delray Shooting Center (Palm Beach County); just wanted to post a quick review -->

If anyone is new to CC (like me) and wants to get some great information, I definitely recommend this course. I've had my CWFL for a few months, but felt uncomfortable carrying as I had NO defensive training. This course will provide the basics for CC, and really helped me to feel more informed/prepared.

Classroom segment - (too many topics to list, but these stood out):

1.) SAFETY!
2.) Weapon Selection (I had no idea how to tell if a gun truly fits you)
3.) CC Options/Methods
4.) SD Ammo options/physics
5.) Drawing/Sighting/Moving
6.) Psychological Issues - Awareness, Pre-Fight/Fight/Post-Fight, etc..

Range segment :ak

1.) Drill instructions were clear and effective.
2.) Each movement was established individually, practiced, then combined.
3.) You will learn just as much from watching others run drills.
4.) Will works with everyone individually, and also as a group.
5.) Oh yeah, THIS STUFF IS FUN! :D

I was a little intimidated about training when I first got the CWFL; I've been shooting for a long time, but carrying for defense is brand new to me. That feeling went away after about three minutes in class. Will is a great guy and keeps the atmosphere safe/informative/fun. There is still a lot of training I need to take, but I definitely feel better prepared than I was before. If you are able to, check it out!

Thanks again Will :thumsup

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Great report, Tbird! I'm glad to see that you have such a good attitude about training. I'm looking forward to some more of Will's and Terry's training myself next month. Keep learning, Hoss!
Beers y'all,
Ken

·
Super Moderator
6,155 Posts
I've had my CWFL for a few months, but felt uncomfortable carrying as I had NO defensive training.

I've been shooting for a long time, but carrying for defense is brand new to me.

I think you hit the nail on the head with these two statements. If a person learns nothing else from this forum I hope that it is this concept. Just because you've been shooting at the range doesn't mean you know how to carry defensively.

Thank you for our instructors here. I'm talking with SwampRat to set aside a time that I can take his Advanced Pistol Class II. My biggest struggle is that I don't get enough training time.

Thank you for a great review. I'd love to take one of Standby's classes.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Last week I took StandBy's 'Advanced Concealed Carry' class at Delray Shooting Center (Palm Beach County); just wanted to post a quick review -->

If anyone is new to CC (like me) and wants to get some great information, I definitely recommend this course. I've had my CWFL for a few months, but felt uncomfortable carrying as I had NO defensive training. This course will provide the basics for CC, and really helped me to feel more informed/prepared.

Classroom segment - (too many topics to list, but these stood out):

1.) SAFETY!
2.) Weapon Selection (I had no idea how to tell if a gun truly fits you)
3.) CC Options/Methods
4.) SD Ammo options/physics
5.) Drawing/Sighting/Moving
6.) Psychological Issues - Awareness, Pre-Fight/Fight/Post-Fight, etc..

Range segment :ak

1.) Drill instructions were clear and effective.
2.) Each movement was established individually, practiced, then combined.
3.) You will learn just as much from watching others run drills.
4.) Will works with everyone individually, and also as a group.
5.) Oh yeah, THIS STUFF IS FUN! :D

I was a little intimidated about training when I first got the CWFL; I've been shooting for a long time, but carrying for defense is brand new to me. That feeling went away after about three minutes in class. Will is a great guy and keeps the atmosphere safe/informative/fun. There is still a lot of training I need to take, but I definitely feel better prepared than I was before. If you are able to, check it out!

Thanks again Will :thumsup
Thank you for taking the class. You did great! plenty of natural ability. Its Amazing how fast 4 hours worth of training can be. I felt as if this class was pressed for time, I would like to have had more time on the range to run you through more movement drills. All in all you did very well. Just practice the drills and techniques we covered in class until they feel “natural”. Looking forward to seeing you in the all day Defensive Handgun class out at Okeechobee……now that’s fun!:grin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts