Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often can you keep racking that same bullet in the chamber while carrying?

In other words, once you've got a bullet in the chamber for your daily carrying and unload it at night, how often can you do that with the same bullet or do you rotate? If you go to the range once a month do you just rotate the same bullets in your magazine for daily carry?

Does that make sense? Please remember that no question is dumb when sincerely asked.

MamaBear

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
I don't unload at night! I also don't fire off defensive rounds at the range, but once a year... The defensive rounds are too expensive.. I just shoot ball ammo at the range. I've had people tell me i'm nutz for buying new defense ammo every year

·
Registered
685 Posts
Personally, I keep mine loaded at all times.

I clean my carry (an HK P2000SK in 9mm) weapon every other week though honestly it never seems that dirty. I use an IWB holster though which might help contribute to the lack of dirt/lint or the like.

I will rotate the round being chambered, and wind up shooting off one mag (10 rounds) every 3 months.

Excessive? Probably on how often I shoot the self defense ammo, but I like to know my ammo will not jam up due to a bad casing from being re-chambered.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
I rarely "unchamber" my gun but when I do I remove about 5 or 6 rounds from the magazine and put that previously chambered round in the magazine and then replace the rounds I took out. This way the a round only gets chambered once or twice max. The reason i do this is because I read about something awhile back called "bullet setback". It was not proven 100% but I rather not find out about this the hard way.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just visually inspect the round for setback, but I don't think it's that much of an issue unless you're shooting high pressure ammo like .40 cal. I've read they are more susceptable to Kabooms from setback. BTW, with a revolver it's not really a problem :)
But back to the earlier comment, I don't unload at night. I keep em hot and ready to go if needed.

·
Super Moderator
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I'm still too new to know what to do on a regular basis. I've never felt right about it but I have been taking the magazine out of my gun every night and placing it in the safe and locking it up. Seems so stupid because at night and at home is when things could happen.

In the back of my mind I'm wondering how to reconcile having two kids in the house and having a loaded handgun around. When I'm wearing it obviously that is not an issue. What is the issue is what to do at night after they've gone to bed and it is now my bedtime. What then?

In my mind there would be no way to reasonably access the safe and get the guns in the nano second if something goes down. Do you all leave the loaded handgun by your bed at night and then just hitch it on in the morning? Is that why some of you don't unchamber at all? Does this mean your guns are never in your safe? I need to figure out how to make this work.

I can tell you right now that dh is not going to like the idea of having a loaded gun outside of the safe at night even though the kids are in bed. I am the one pushing the envelope on this one. He has not arrived yet of carrying daily like I do and he has also not been convinced to carry one in the chamber but I do carry one chambered now that I've taken the gun back to the range since I got it out of the shop. We seem to be arriving at these various stages at different times. How do you all work these issues out?

So many questions.

MamaBear

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Do you all leave the loaded handgun by your bed at night and then just hitch it on in the morning? Is that why some of you don't unchamber at all? Does this mean your guns are never in your safe? I need to figure out how to make this work.

MamaBear
My situation is different, my son lives with my ex-wife, but I can tell you that when my father was working the night shift my mother slept with her gun under the pillow. There was no way any of us kids were going to get our hands on the weapon when she was asleep and no way she was going to be unable to access her weapon quickly if she needed to.

My weapon sleeps right beside me on the night stand. My GF wants her shotgun to sleep hanging off her side of the bed.
http://www.theworldsbestever.com/gunrack.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
I live alone, so the nightstand weapon is not an issue... In fact I have stuff stashed all over the house. A burglar might be lucky to find one or two if he really trashed the place. I'm an amateur carpenter, so I made hidey-holes built into the furniture, and the house itself.... Fake books, hollowed out lamp bases, Cereal boxes, the bottom of a box of cleanex, are all good hiding spots. Of course with youngins running around the house all that goes out the window.

How old are they???? Perhaps gun safety training is in order.. When I was a kid growing up in rural New Jersey, I had MY OWN gun at 12.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Never too early to start gun safety training

I don't think kids are ever too young to start gun safety training. I wouldn't recommend letting REALLY young kids handle firearms. My first experience shooting a firearm was at age 8, under my father's watchful eye. He'd started me on a BB pistol at about age 5. There are kids gun safety courses out there or you could teach them yourself.

As for locking up at night, this is one my wife and I are working on. We both keep one in the chamber. For now, they're in our nightstands if they aren't in our immediate possession. We've talked a little about what we do when we have kids. My solution will be to wear mine except when I'm going to bed, and then it's still going IN my nightstand fully loaded. I may end up putting a child safety latch on the drawer to keep little fingers out. My older children, starting at age 5, will be taking a gun safety course. They'll start shooting air rifle/air pistol at 5 and will move to .22 short and .22LR at 7 or 8. They'll be hunting with me (with any luck) by age 10 or so.

Also, never oversestimate the security of a gun safe. My father had one. He kept his (P.O.S.) Charter Arms 25 in it. Pfft. My brother and I found the key. He might as well have kept it in his nightstand.

I wish I'd had more gun handling experience as a child. Being able to shoot often - under proper supervision - might've stopped my brother and I from sneaking guns out to shoot when my parents weren't home. (It wouldn't have been as much fun if it wasn't taboo.)

How'd we finally get caught? My father came up "missing" about 1,000 rounds of .22LR. Oh... and the big ol' oak tree in the back yard had a huge lead-filled hole in it.

I intend to do better with my kids when it comes to firearms. I just hope my kids are nothing like me. :)

- Str8Shooter

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm single and have no children. Though I had to be conscious of little ones this past weekend when the family arrived for Turkey day, and my nephew was staying with me.

He is 8, and I found the solution I was most comfortable with was to place my firearm on the top of a bookcase in my bedroom. I had already explained that he was NOT to touch it under any circumstances and if he did, he wouldn't get to play any playstation 3 for the rest of the weekend (thats a BIG deal to him!). Being 8 he can't reach up that high. And I would think that about the time anyone could reach to a higher up level, they would be old enough that you wouldn't have concerns of their safety since you would have taught them about firearms.

I don't see them as any different then a stove. You teach children to not touch the stove because it could harm them, they don't need to touch the firearms either, unless you are with them (or DH). Again, age comes into play here.

What about leaving the weapon loaded, but locking your bedroom door? I was taught as far back as I can remember to knock on a closed door, so the locked aspect never was an issue.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
MamaBear,

I have a 13 year old son and a 14 year old daughter. They both know that I carry and they both know about guns. My daughter wants a "little pink gun." I don't know that I would give her one right now. She has a temper. But my son has had a BB gun, pellet gun, .22 rifle, .410 shotgun, and a .270 starting since about the age of 9 (almost one per year). He is very responsible and knows how to handle them because I started hunting with him when he was about 6. I say introduce your kids to something like a BB gun shooting at cans or something and they will learn to respect what a gun can do and not go crazy if they ever to see/get hold of one somewhere else.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What about a level 3 police type holster? Whats the general opinion? None of my friends or even my gf could get my Glock out of the holster, so should I feel safe keeping it in the nightstand in that holster?

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
What about a level 3 police type holster? Whats the general opinion? None of my friends or even my gf could get my Glock out of the holster, so should I feel safe keeping it in the nightstand in that holster?
Here's a question for you. If you had to get it out of that holster in the middle of the night because someone broke into your house, could you?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think the original question here was about rotating ammo when unchambering a round. I do unload my carry gun every night when I take it off. I have other guns for home defense so the carry gets unloaded and put away every night. My carry 9 holds 12 rounds. Once a week I remove all twelve rounds from the magazine, keeping them in order as I remove them. I take the carry round, draw a couple of stripes around it with a sharpie, and reload it into the magazine first. Then I put the remaining 11 rounds back into the magazine in the order they came out. Next week, I rotate them again but skip the sharpie step. After 12 weeks all the ammo in the mag has been carried for a week in the chamber and the one with the stripe is now back on top. At this point I take the 12 rounds to the range and shoot them, reloading with new ammo and starting the process all over.

This may seem like a lot of unnecessary work, but we live in Florida and most of the year it's hot. I sweat and the gun gets moist. It humid and the gun gets moist. It rains and the gun gets moist. Not to mention all the other things that get into guns and magazines like lint, fuzz, seeds, bugs, dirt, and sand. So, I rotate and replace. It's a simple habit and one that could help save my life. I find that reasonable!

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
I think the original question here was about rotating ammo when unchambering a round. I do unload my carry gun every night when I take it off. I have other guns for home defense so the carry gets unloaded and put away every night. My carry 9 holds 12 rounds. Once a week I remove all twelve rounds from the magazine, keeping them in order as I remove them. I take the carry round, draw a couple of stripes around it with a sharpie, and reload it into the magazine first. Then I put the remaining 11 rounds back into the magazine in the order they came out. Next week, I rotate them again but skip the sharpie step. After 12 weeks all the ammo in the mag has been carried for a week in the chamber and the one with the stripe is now back on top. At this point I take the 12 rounds to the range and shoot them, reloading with new ammo and starting the process all over.

This may seem like a lot of unnecessary work, but we live in Florida and most of the year it's hot. I sweat and the gun gets moist. It humid and the gun gets moist. It rains and the gun gets moist. Not to mention all the other things that get into guns and magazines like lint, fuzz, seeds, bugs, dirt, and sand. So, I rotate and replace. It's a simple habit and one that could help save my life. I find that reasonable!
I have never had a defensive round EVER fail to fire when I "dispose" of them on the range... Some have been 2+ years old.

·
653 Posts
Right now I keep my night table gun loaded and ready. But I have no little ones that go in my room. My grandbabies are getting older and more curious so that will have to be resolved soon. Right now the older ones, 4 and 5 are living away and the two that visit are under 1 year and can't walk yet. My carry gun is always loaded. I carry it cocked and chambered then decock when I get home but leave the round in the chamber. I keep it on a bookshelf in my office.

I have a friend that has the gunvault mini and he loves it. He says with practice he can now unlock and be ready within two seconds. He has his nephews and nieces at his house all the time and depends on that safe to keep them away from the gun and the gun always ready for him. I will probably be getting one next year sometime for my night table also. The combination is on the finger tips. You set the combination for the number of button pushes for the fingers and the finger sequence. Then you just lay your hand on the cut out and push the sequence and number of clicks and the safe pops open with your gun there in the ready. It also has a lock key in case you don't want to use the finger combination and to reset the combination. Or in my case because I forgot the combination.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have never had a defensive round EVER fail to fire when I "dispose" of them on the range... Some have been 2+ years old.
Neither have I. I just find that fresh ammo in a clean mag is more likely to cycle without problems. Also, since the self defense ammo shoots a bit differently than the practice ammo, I get a quick refresher on shooting the high powered stuff. I'm not worried about the cost either, so the extra confidence that rotation and practice gives me is worth it to me.

I'm not suggesting that everyone should do it this way. I'm a firm believer in people doing what ever they think is best for them and their situation. This is just my way of dealing with this issue for my own personal satisfaction.

·
Registered
55,472 Posts
Mamabear,

Bullet set back is a real issue with continued loading and unloading the same round. I would not suggest reloading the same round more than a few times for two reasons.

1. Bullet setback can occur with the first loading into the chamber [ subsequent loading of the same round only magnifies the possibility ].

2. The extractor and ejector on the semi auto imprints marks on the shell [ damages the casing a little ] when the round is extracted. Do that enough times and the extractor runs the chance of catching those previous marks and not reliably extracting the shell.

What I do is find the clean spot on the shell casing and align that area for the extractor to get a full purchase on the casing head to extract reliably when fired.

I will not suggest leaving the gun loaded around children, nor suggest not doing so, that decision is something one makes on their own based on their unique set of circumstances.

Brownie

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
The risks from bullet setback can be mitigated somewhat by the round and gun make. I'm not TOO worried about it with my gun, that can handle +p+ 9mm ammo, but I'm not going to completely ignore the risk, either.

If you're shooting something that's already fairly high pressure, like .40S&W, I'd probably be quite a bit more concerned about setback.

-JT

1 - 20 of 31 Posts