Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a reminder for those going to indoor ranges. There have been parking lot robberies over the years where shooters are walking out to their car with their arms all full and they are accosted by armed robbers. It hasn’t happened real frequently but it has happened.

With society changing, civil unrest happening and firearms availability severely diminished, I think the thugs will eventually figure out that it’s a source of free guns. I think we are likely to see more of these robberies in the future.

I don’t go to indoor ranges anymore but I’ve seen a lot of people going out to the car with both arms absolutely full of stuff paying no attention to their surroundings. A precaution I’ve always taken is to seldom shoot the gun I’m carrying and certainly never shoot it out of ammo at a range. I even employ that at my own range here at the house.

Be careful, friends. It’s not getting safer.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
My Kimber stays on my side loaded and ready as well as my North American 22LR in my pocket or if I don't feel right about someone it is in my hand as I put stuff in my trunk.. I do look around and do not ever take my guns off that I carry.
I have thought of what you are saying and you are 100% correct.
I also watch that I am not followed home.
Paranoid, I guess but better safe then sorry.
Ronnie.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I’ve followed this self rule since I started shooting (indoor or out).... Never shoot your edc and leave with it empty! Also...... I am very conscious to not have anything in my strong hand or arm. If it can’t be carried with one hand, then I’ll take two trips. My $0.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Most indoor ranges I've been to request that you enter with all handguns unloaded (for safety reasons, I presume).
Are you saying we should ignore their requests and keep a concealed weapon when entering/leaving?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can’t make that decision for you. I will tell you that I have never and will never go to any public shooting range without having a concealed weapon fully loaded that I am not using. The same goes for walking out to the car. If I went to a range who insisted on that restriction, I’d find another range.

At the local Ranges here in Central Florida there have been numerous suicides, a woman shooting someone in the back of the head and there was an attempted murder where a guy rented a gun and kept stepping out from the firing line calling his girlfriend trying to get her to come meet him so he could shoot her. I have promised my wife I would come back home to her at the end of the day.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
I always carry one of my carry guns loaded and ready to go. My safety is my job and if they ask me to leave I will quickly and never return. I asked about that and was told it was for insurance purposes. The range I use now is small everyone knows me and it does not have that sign, they know I'm packing.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Many ranges have a stupid sign at the door saying loaded/concealed weapons not allowed.
"We respect your right to legally carry concealed".
I have NEVER seen anyone (myself included) thrown out because of this.
If I shoot my EDC,it's range ammo and I re-load SD ammo before I re-holster to leave.

·
Super Moderator
27,177 Posts
My EDC is
I’ve followed this self rule since I started shooting (indoor or out).... Never shoot your edc and leave with it empty! Also...... I am very conscious to not have anything in my strong hand or arm. If it can’t be carried with one hand, then I’ll take two trips. My $0.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This always! (y)

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Any gun range owners / employees here care to chime in on this one?

I never gave it much thought, figuring crooks would have to be pretty brazenly stupid to mug someone outside the entrance to a gun shop / range.
The odds of them being armed are much higher, and (unless they are specifically trying to steal weapons?), there should be much easier prey elsewhere.
And I'm usually with a crowd when I do go, so there's that. Safety in numbers sort of thing.

I'll leave with a full mag, with hollowpoints, but the gun isn't ready to fire.
I can see where that wouldn't be good enough in a hold-up situation, but I also believe gun ranges have a right, and perhaps a responsibility, to disallow loaded weapons other than on the firing line. And, unfortunately, even in South Florida, there are no so many ranges that one can afford to "take their business elsewhere" if they don't like the in-store carry policy, and it's a given you can't have your own backyard range (for most people).

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
The indoor range I frequent has such a sign on the door. I have always carried concealed when using this facility (for years and years). I have never been approached about it. If an employee where to say something, I would very politely explain the reason(s) for my ignoring the sign. If they did not accept my explanation, I would leave immediately and find another range.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Many gun stores as well as ranges have signs of this nature. Years ago I call a gun store I wanted to go to. I asked about their loaded gun restriction.
The reply was concealed is concealed.
If I was discovered to be armed and asked to leave, then I would leave.
My feeling is that gun stores post the unloaded gun notice in an effort to make those who bring in a gun to show to staff for whatever reason to unload the gun.
I have seen videos of people showing guns at gun stores who have brought them in loaded.

·
Registered
54,513 Posts
Just a reminder for those going to indoor ranges. There have been parking lot robberies over the years where shooters are walking out to their car with their arms all full and they are accosted by armed robbers. It hasn’t happened real frequently but it has happened.

With society changing, civil unrest happening and firearms availability severely diminished, I think the thugs will eventually figure out that it’s a source of free guns. I think we are likely to see more of these robberies in the future.

I don’t go to indoor ranges anymore but I’ve seen a lot of people going out to the car with both arms absolutely full of stuff paying no attention to their surroundings. A precaution I’ve always taken is to seldom shoot the gun I’m carrying and certainly never shoot it out of ammo at a range. I even employ that at my own range here at the house.

Be careful, friends. It’s not getting safer.
Years ago, in a sandpit we used to shoot in back in Ma. in the late 70's, two of us were shooting some pistols. We'd brought a small table to set the guns down on [ probably 2-3 guns each so at least 4 on the table at any one time ]. We went downrange to change targets and I happened to turn around and see a young man standing at the table [ he'd come out of nowhere, likely the woods adjacent to the pit [ likely heard us shooting .

I yelled to back away from the table and he did as we walked briskly back to where the table was set up. He smiled and said something to the effect that he could have grabbed them all and run off. To which I raised my shirt to show him my carry gun holstered on the belt. I mentioned he very well could have grabbed then and run off, but I didn't believe he could outrun a 230 grain traveling at 850fps and I could hit him at 100 yrds if required. I then suggested he disappear as quickly as he'd appeared and he boggied out of the area post haste.

I'm always armed with some carry gun while shooting on a range. Even when it's against the rules on a sanctioned public range.

Good heads up OP

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JerrySea

That’s very true. A friend of mine who was an ex cop and gun store owner had a rather experienced Florida Highway patrol trooper bring in an AK 47 for repair. He laid it on the counter with the barrel facing the front window of the store. The store was located on E. Colonial Dr. Orlando in a busy area.

As they were talking, nobody touching the AK, it fired. The bullet passed through the plate glass window and crossed Colonial Drive with heavy traffic, missing all the cars. It went through the front window of the karate school across the street which was in session. I’m not sure if they did tricky kung fu moves but, the round missed all the students and embedded itself in the back wall.

He put one of those “don’t bring any loaded guns in here” signs up rather immediately.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Years ago, in a sandpit we used to shoot in back in Ma. in the late 70's, two of us were shooting some pistols. We'd brought a small table to set the guns down on [ probably 2-3 guns each so at least 4 on the table at any one time ]. We went downrange to change targets and I happened to turn around and see a young man standing at the table [ he'd come out of nowhere, likely the woods adjacent to the pit [ likely heard us shooting .

I yelled to back away from the table and he did as we walked briskly back to where the table was set up. He smiled and said something to the effect that he could have grabbed them all and run off. To which I raised my shirt to show him my carry gun holstered on the belt. I mentioned he very well could have grabbed then and run off, but I didn't believe he could outrun a 230 grain traveling at 850fps and I could hit him at 100 yrds if required. I then suggested he disappear as quickly as he'd appeared and he boggied out of the area post haste.

I'm always armed with some carry gun while shooting on a range. Even when it's against the rules on a sanctioned public range.

Good heads up OP
Unfortunately running off with your guns is not grounds for using lethal force.

·
Registered
54,513 Posts
Unfortunately running off with your guns is not grounds for using lethal force.
If someone is stealing my gun off a table that's loaded, they are an imminent threat to my life. They could turn the gun's back on myself and the guy I was shooting with and take them after shooting both of us.

Nah, I beg to differ with your consensus completely. Shall I articulate my reasonable fear of grave bodily harm or death and it being imminent further? I would hope you'd amend your position after thinking about the imminent threat they pose once one of my guns has been stolen off a table that's loaded and is now in their possession..

1 - 20 of 37 Posts