Florida Concealed Carry banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18,705 Posts
Those pics you posted above are basically defenses for what son learned in BJJ, especially the one with you on the ground. But they also taught him to gain the mount and lean into it using his forearm and the opponents collar to prevent the defense you show and perform the choke.
I like the second set and upward arm sweep though.

·
Registered
56,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Those pics you posted above are basically defenses for what son learned in BJJ, especially the one with you on the ground. But they also taught him to gain the mount and lean into it using his forearm and the opponents collar to prevent the defense you show and perform the choke.
I like the second set and upward arm sweep though.
I'm unlikely to run into a bbj BG trying to choke me out that knows a counter to a counter.
In the second, it's hard to see but I've moved my right hand to his left wrist and trapped it to my body while my left arm then buckles his left elbow. The crumbling to the ground starts there. He can't get away, and he's no longer a threat.

That sequence shown took maybe 5 seconds showing it in stages. On the street, it's maybe 1-1.2 seconds and the threat is neutralized. If there's any real struggle at all, my elbow is primed to pump shots to his face in the next to last picture but the elbow can make shots to the face as soon as the arm is cross body.

·
Registered
18,705 Posts
I'm unlikely to run into a bbj BG trying to choke me out that knows a counter to a counter.
In the second, it's hard to see but I've moved my right hand to his left wrist and trapped it to my body while my left arm then buckles his left elbow. The crumbling to the ground starts there. He can't get away, and he's no longer a threat.

That sequence shown took maybe 5 seconds showing it in stages. On the street, it's maybe 1-1.2 seconds and the threat is neutralized. If there's any real struggle at all, my elbow is primed to pump shots to his face in the next to last picture but the elbow can make shots to the face as soon as the arm is cross body.
And that’s why I had him doing the BJJ. He was unlikely to run into somebody equally skilled. Growing up and now almost 16 I thought it good to get him some confidence and ability to defend himself. World is even more dangerous now than when I was a kid

·
Registered
56,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
And that’s why I had him doing the BJJ. He was unlikely to run into somebody equally skilled. Growing up and now almost 16 I thought it good to get him some confidence and ability to defend himself. World is even more dangerous now than when I was a kid
One of the best gifts you can give some is how to defend themselves. Ya did good poppa

·
Registered
7,473 Posts
Not many people familiar and trained on chokes here apparently. 90 members have read the thread and less than a handful have any idea how to affect a choke on someone let alone having done so in the real world. .
Back in my Aikido days we practiced both air and blood chokes, and how to immediately respond to being put in them. Air chokes were “simulated” meaning not put on fully. Blood chokes were taken further. You had two choices, tap or go out. I’ve had blood chokes applied till I was ready against all will to “go out”. Can’t resist it when applied correctly and it was, from 100% percent participation against my will, 100% similar to when I experienced both cardiac arrests I’ve had the joy to discover. Brain gets totally confused and not understanding the “why“ but saying to one’s self, “oh man, there is something wrong with me”. Then lights out. All silent and everything dark. Cardiac arrest or blood choke, same result. The brain in either case does not get that last “Gulp” of oxygenated blood and says sorry dude but “I’m out”...Game over… Came to, very luckily, with the help of my beloved hospital coworkers that day after CPR for 6 minutes only to go back and have another (cardiac arrest 30 minutes later) one and again and “lights out”. Can’t resist, can’t control, just out and blackness. All silent and black. Nothing! Game over.

What did I learn from blood or air chokes…..and cardiac arrests (good luck on this one yourself)? You have mere seconds to respond in a manner that breakers the hold, many ways to do that, and if you don’t……….your out…dead or at your opponents mercy.

YMMV.

Reactions: brownie

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
Back in the late 70s as a young pup in the Navy my school got delayed for about 10 weeks and a bunch of us got tossed into a duty pool where they farmed out bodies to whoever needed help. I got sent to the Shore Patrol detachment. We were shown a choking technique and advised to use it as the go-to move when breaking up bar fights which was what we spent a lot of time doing. There was a club on base for enlisted folks and it was the scene of 2-3 brawls a night, not every single night, but most.

I don't know what that kind of choke is called technically, but the way we were taught to do it was to get behind the subject and put the center of their throat right in the crook of the elbow of one hand while using the other to apply back pressure from the wrist. Once applied, we were to do a sort of bicep flex to apply the side-to-side pressure necessary to squeeze hell out of their neck. Seems to be it would effect the carotid as much or more than the airway, but I don't know, it was never given any name except choke hold.

I used it several times when breaking up fights and what I found was people would struggle to get out of it but at some point would realize they weren't getting out of it and submit before losing consciousness. Only had one case myself of a guy struggling to the bitter end where consciousness was lost, but saw a few others that were choked into la-la land. No one I know of had any lasting effects.

Never used it after that. Never had need to.

·
Registered
14,865 Posts
Lets see if people might know some counters to the various chokes that can be applied. Certainly some of the students in the h2h/knife course remember the two ways I demonstrated and let the students play with.
Balls first, head butt and stomp the top of the instep while turning into the hold behind the head.

·
Registered
304 Posts

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Well my information for the proper and most effective chock hold comes from the number one professional source.... WWE Monday Night Raw!!!🤬

• Haha
Reactions: 7.62Kolectr

·
Registered
14,865 Posts
Blood choke. Be it with arms,legs, side choke, w.e . Less chance of permanent damage.
I disagree. A blood choke has the ability to do more permanent damage than a strangle choke.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts