Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feel free to jump in with your idea of a choke hold, as there's several ways to choke someone out.

Ever choked someone out? Either in training or on the streets?

1. Which choke holds work best?
2. Which are more apt to create medical issues for the person choked

·
Registered
56,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Used several in Judo for 9 years. Choked some out & been choked out. Trained with a guy ( service brat ) that grew up in Japan & trained on grass mats! This guy could choke you out standing, sitting, kneeling, walking, running, didn’t matter, he was awesome!! 😆 My instructor was VERY adamant about not holding it any longer than for submission, be it voluntarily or involuntarily. He was always right there to make sure everyone was ok afterwards. I hated the headache afterwards!
We were practicing chokes on Sunday afternoon [ one of my co workers ]. We hold out to just before passing out then tap out. Everything was just fine after about 15 minutes of working on each other.

I leave to go have dinner with the girlfriend at her parents house [ it was mandatory his 5 daughters and 2 sons attended every sunday, big family dining table sat everyone easily. Feeling fine, having a great dinner some 3 hours after the training.

Got up from the table, got 4-5 steps and without any notice, I passed out. Fell straight back and hit my head causing bleeding from both ears [ not good ]. I woke up to the old man standing over me and asking me if I was okay. Head was ringing like a church bell, serious headache.

Someone had called an ambulance which arrived a few minutes after I came to. I'd stayed laying on my back at the request of the old man. They took me to the local hospital where they discovered I had a severe concussion. Order the girlfriend to not allow me to sleep for at least the next 18 hours. Of course I got back to her fathers place and went up stairs to lay down, telling everyone I understood the risks but I was going to sleep for awhile anyway.

So, when you get someone near passing out in a choke, there can be residual affects if you're not smart enough to tap out before you're nearly out. I've put quite a few turds to sleep on the streets working in uniform. As I mentioned elsewhere, I didn't feel the need to be tap dancing with some asshat who was going to resist my taking them into custody, so when opportunities presented to get the choke on them, that's what I did. And when the life faded from them enough I set them down, rolled them over and cuffed em by the time they could recover.

As others have stated, you hold it enough time until you feel the resistance fade to compliance, or as soon as they have gone unconscious. Hold it any longer than necessary to affect the results you want, looking at potential harming them permanently or killing them. All the chokes I put on people to gain compliance were against academy training rules [ no chokes to be applied under any conditions ] and thus against dept SOP policies. Never heard one complaint from the dept, nor the turds who were put to sleep, but remained uninjured.

Gotta know when the hold, and know when to fold em. They were deemed illegal because most street cops don't know when it's time to let em go.

·
Registered
56,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Two things
Sadly I think most cops nowadays wouldn’t know how to properly choke somebody. And if they did with all the phones that would get whipped out and record it even if they could they probably wouldn’t for fear of being the leading headline.
Glad you’re ok. Musta been kinda worrying to go thru that.
Most leo's don't have the knowledge of how to choke because they are outlawed by the states academies and SOP's for over 20-30 years that I'm aware of. They were illegal in 91 so at least that long.

I learned various chokes at Sionics in 81, added to the choke taught me by the Marines back in 1970. I came to prefer one choke over all others as it always worked once applied without permanent damage or death. The one the Marine Corps taught me is more for making them cold forever, that's not something I'd use on the streets, of course.

I was quite surprised at the repercussions that day, because through the training and hours afterward, I felt perfectly fine. No more playing wait till you're almost passed out. In training, once the choke is affected and locked in, the person being choked knows it's working.

·
Registered
56,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not many people familiar and trained on chokes here apparently. 90 members have read the thread and less than a handful have any idea how to affect a choke on someone let alone having done so in the real world. .

·
Registered
56,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lets see if people might know some counters to the various chokes that can be applied. Certainly some of the students in the h2h/knife course remember the two ways I demonstrated and let the students play with.

·
Registered
56,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Those pics you posted above are basically defenses for what son learned in BJJ, especially the one with you on the ground. But they also taught him to gain the mount and lean into it using his forearm and the opponents collar to prevent the defense you show and perform the choke.
I like the second set and upward arm sweep though.
I'm unlikely to run into a bbj BG trying to choke me out that knows a counter to a counter.
In the second, it's hard to see but I've moved my right hand to his left wrist and trapped it to my body while my left arm then buckles his left elbow. The crumbling to the ground starts there. He can't get away, and he's no longer a threat.

That sequence shown took maybe 5 seconds showing it in stages. On the street, it's maybe 1-1.2 seconds and the threat is neutralized. If there's any real struggle at all, my elbow is primed to pump shots to his face in the next to last picture but the elbow can make shots to the face as soon as the arm is cross body.

·
Registered
56,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
And that’s why I had him doing the BJJ. He was unlikely to run into somebody equally skilled. Growing up and now almost 16 I thought it good to get him some confidence and ability to defend himself. World is even more dangerous now than when I was a kid
One of the best gifts you can give some is how to defend themselves. Ya did good poppa

1 - 9 of 9 Posts