Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From a thread on GlockTalk:

<<<....a lady friend got carjacked in Denver. A woman, (race withheld for obvious reasons) walks up to her and shows her the handle of a gun in her pocket demanding keys to the car. Given this scenario, if this were you getting "approached" what would you do? >>>

Go.

·
Registered
668 Posts

<<<....a lady friend got carjacked in Denver. A woman, (race withheld for obvious reasons) walks up to her and shows her the handle of a gun in her pocket demanding keys to the car. Given this scenario, if this were you getting "approached" what would you do? >>>

Go.
She would need to be more persuasive than that.

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
If the car jacker was the race I am thinking she may be. I would just give her the keys and my wallet along with anything she asked for because if I did what I want to to do I would be in prison for life and deemed a racist.
As any Police officer will tell you,
""""YOU CAN NOT WIN WITH SOME CRIMINALS""""" ((IF YOU FIGHT THEM))
Ronnie

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would just give her the keys and my wallet along with anything she asked for because if I did what I want to to do I would be in prison for life and deemed a racist.
After you hand her the keys, she shoots you anyway. Then you'll be a dead racist.

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
First, are you inside or outside the car? If inside, I'd floor it as far away from her as I could. That, or attempt to reach for my own "handle" to show her (one a little larger than hers, hopefully.

If I'm outside my car, then I do my best to maintain some cover and distance from her.... as much as possible while trying to get back into my car.. If I see her reach for that handle, to me that's a sufficient "furtive movement" and would justfiy me drawing on her at least. Yes, there's the risk that it could be a "fake" handle, designed to make you draw your real one and get charged with brandishing, etc., but I can't be concerned with that at the moment. The primary objecting being, "get on target: before she does.

Anyway, that's what I'd do.

·
Super Moderator
30,988 Posts
Depends. First I'm very leery of people approaching me and my vehicle on foot, especially at gas stations, etc. So it's unlikely such a person will get close to me before I've already reacted and interdicted the threat, but my actions will be governed by the exact conditions observed.

On the one hand, I think I see what brownie is getting at because if I'm outside the car and she actually has somehow managed to get close to me but hasn't actually drawn the gun, it's quite likely that she'll be distracted as she tries to pick up the keys I drop just in front of and out of her reach, feigning nervousness. Then what happens next won't be pretty for her.

However, it's also likely that if I'm still inside the car when she approaches, I'm just as likely to floor the accelerator and put distance between the car jacker and myself, betting that her gun is either fake or she's not willing or able to draw and try to use it before I've neutralized her threat. There are probably several other possible action/reactions depending upon the specific conditions on the ground and getting inside her OODA loop would be my goal.

Regardless, I'm NOT just handing her the keys to my vehicle! :mad:

·
Registered
3,883 Posts

Go.
I would respond "No hablo español", and drive off.

If that didn't work, or wasn't an option, I would immediately pull out my gun, aim it at her head, and demand to see the rest of the gun.
Take it from her. Beat her to a pulp with it, and then have her explain to me why she ain't got no damn manners.

·
Registered
15,625 Posts
Be polite since we're sharing and show them my whole 1911..

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I honestly don’t know. We all want to say we would do one of the following:

If car is running and I have room to do so: Step on the gas, turn wheel in her direction. Wink and say, “are you a size 7 wide?” If she ends up under my tires and with tread marks on her torso, that’s her problem. Part of me envisions someone brandishing close enough to window I might be able to just take the gun out of the pocket for them and smack them over the head with it like Bozzo the clown. They probably wont expect it.

If I’m out of the car and she’s close enough. I might be whoopin some ass. Takes time to get the gun out and on target. She better be good, faster than my right hook. Is it wrong if I then flex over her body? I’ll probably finish by putting my shades back on and put my toothpick in my mouth and strutting away. Hopefully I’m wearing a pair of cool deerskin gloves like @brownie

But really, hopefully I don’t wind up in a scenario like that and unprepared. I’d like to think I’d notice in time to be ready to high tail it out of there betting they won’t pull and fire.

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
Always just be aware of anyone looking at you or walking up to you at any time and any place.
At a parking lot, At the mall, In a restaurant and especially when you pull into your driveway at your home.
I carry my gun when I am walking my dog, Going to Publix or especially Walmart., or at home watching my TV.
My Kimber is OSWB and so easy to get out I can do it sitting in my car.(((FAST))) if needed.
It used to be the crimes like this only happened after dark, but they happen 24/7 now and the thieves do not seem to care if they have to shoot or stab you to get what they want.
Ronnie

PS:
My post in #4 was just for reminding you all that shooting the wrong person even though they are robbing you is going to end up bad for you unless you have proof you had to shoot the thug.
In the Biden world, the criminals are the victims and have way more rights then you do.((( IF THEY ARE OF A CERTAIN BREED))))

·
Registered
21,476 Posts
i'm guessing they were both outside the car by the description....

her mistake was only showing me the handle...she will be dead or at least dying before she gets the gun out of her pocket with one handle buried in her throat while the other controls her gun hand...the rest is too descriptive for public consumption...i will need to wash my hands thoroughly afterward...

i'm inside the car and running...left turn full pedal reverse and she is road kill...my vehicle will require a thorough cleaning...

i'm inside the car not running...my reach for my gun is the same as my reach for my wallet as i step out of the car...the black **** she sees clearing my hip is gonna be a big surprise while her eyes are following my keys to the ground as i fumble them nervously...my clothes are going to require a thorough washing...

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
17,643 Posts
This is difficult to answer as we don’t know how close she is or any of the other questions asked. In light of that I will wait till it happens and then ‘phone a friend’ Brownie, carefully explain the exact circumstances I’m in and ask how to get out of it. 😎

·
Registered
56,085 Posts
This is difficult to answer as we don’t know how close she is or any of the other questions asked. In light of that I will wait till it happens and then ‘phone a friend’ Brownie, carefully explain the exact circumstances I’m in and ask how to get out of it. 😎
Too many variables to consider to advise how someone should get out of it. I usually know what I'll do in most scenarios and that's adlib with the skills and knowledge I have coupled with being able to read people, as that's what's kept me alive on the streets in some pretty sticky wicket scenarios.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Half of it is = situational awareness.
Look around BEFORE you exit your vehicle or the store, it only takes 10 seconds !

I've had to stop my wife a few times when exiting the car because some big a## dude is making a bee line for our vehicle.
Another thing that perps hate is noise, as you exit the store if you see someone hanging around your vehicle, push the panic button on your key fob, that will send them away.

Don't forget, whatever scenario happens, there will always be lawyers involved. Always try to be the good guy and a defender..... Its easier on the ol wallet.

I have walked in these shoes before...

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I think the crux of the question is whether merely showing the handle of the gun as a threat in the context of taking your property (or I'll kill you) constitutes a threat that rises to the level of justifying the use of lethal force in return.

In a word, I say YES. I believe in most scenarios, "Give me your car, look at my gun," satisfies the Five Elements:

1. Innocence
2. Imminence
3. Proportionality
4. Avoidance
5 Reasonableness

The tactical issues at hand are another matter. I don't think this was so much a tactical question as it might appear.

Reactions: Denverd0n

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Race, if they show a gun, or the handle the threat is on. I will be looking for the first chance to end it swiftly.
Your answer is YES..

·
Registered
56,085 Posts
I think the crux of the question is whether merely showing the handle of the gun as a threat in the context of taking your property (or I'll kill you) constitutes a threat that rises to the level of justifying the use of lethal force in return.

In a word, I say YES. I believe in most scenarios, "Give me your car, look at my gun," satisfies the Five Elements:

1. Innocence
2. Imminence
3. Proportionality
4. Avoidance
5 Reasonableness

The tactical issues at hand are another matter. I don't think this was so much a tactical question as it might appear.
Whenever there's confrontation, there's a solution, many times there's several tactical solutions. What tactics one uses is dependent on their knowledge, skills levels, experience etc. It could be simply doing nothing, but that's still a tactical decision.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts