Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can be the first to admit, in today's world, concealed carry is phenomenally advanced.
Micro-compact double stack 9mm pistols that weigh close to nothing are awesome.

But, while I am told to carry them. My heart yearns for something more elegant from years past.

Yes, my heart is after guns like the SIG P230/232, Walther PPK & PPK/S, Makarov, Bersa Thunder, Astra Constable, and Daewoo DH380.

These little blowback. 380s just scream of a different era. A time when the idea of a concealed carry pistol was single stack, held between 6rds to 8rds of ammunition, and were usually chambered in .380 Automatic.

When I started carrying, it was with a East German made Makarov in 9x18mm Mak. It served me well and I felt confident that I can defend myself with that just as well as I could with my S&W Model 642.

But I carried the J-Frame as an on-duty backup gun and the Makarov as an off duty carry gun. It just was that good. It shot great, was accurate, reliable, and slim. Recoil was controllable for being blowback and it didn't have hammer bite like the Walther PPK.

Now a days, guns like the Makarov are looked at as range oddities. Guns like my SIG P230 are looked at as carry guns that belong in a museum instead of a holster. My Walther PPK is strictly a range toy according to many shooters today and the other guns I mentioned are viewed as low dollar Saturday Night Specials by thee uninformed.

I find it funny, when I hanged up the badge. I suddenly stopped carrying my GLOCKs everyday. Now, I still love my GLOCKs. I still keep one in my nightstand and I still strap the G17 when I travel as Gun Owners of America's State Director across Florida. (Mind you, when I usually do a speaking event, I carry something flashier at the event, like a S&W Model 686 or a S&W Model 4506-1.)

But often for doing more mundane things like going to the local stop 'n rob corner store for a gallon of milk or heading out to the grocery store for some ribs and sides for a BBQ. I grab guns like the Makarov, Walther, and SIG.

I find the .380 Auto and 9mm Mak are more than capable, especially with modern defensive loads today. Yes, they're not high capacity, they're not the newest polymer framed striker fired red dot sighted future blaster, and they're not chambered in 9x19mm parabellum. But damn, don't they just make me feel warm and fuzzy.

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
I have to marvel at how most LE carried just 6-shot revolvers until relatively recently. I can't imagine carrying anything that "limiting..." especially while "on duty." I recall watching al the 1967 Dragnet series with Sgt. Friday carrying his SW Revolver. I don't know if he ever had "speed loaders" with it but I mean....

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to marvel at how most LE carried just 6-shot revolvers until relatively recently. I can't imagine carrying anything that "limiting..." especially while "on duty." I recall watching al the 1967 Dragnet series with Sgt. Friday carrying his SW Revolver. I don't know if he ever had "speed loaders" with it but I mean....
I qualified with revolver in the academy. One of the last to do so. My Father jumped from the Wheel Gun to the Automatic in the very early 80s and never looked back.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
I feel your sentiments but, I’d rather have more pew pews on tap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
Well if your name was Ricardo Tubbs, you did it with a 5 shot revolver but could get up to 15-20 rounds with it. 😜 🤣

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
Well if your name was Ricardo Tubbs, you did it with a 5 shot revolver but could get up to 15-20 rounds with it. 😜 🤣
Ah, but remember, he had his "secret weapon..." his short, single-barreled shot gun. I won't say "sawed off" I don't think it was, but it was highly effective! 😃

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
It was originally double barreled then he went to a pump. Both were short barrels for sure.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
I used to carry a Glock 21SF, now it's mostly a S&W 1911 E-class it was my BBQ gun . Things change but stay the same.

·
Registered
580 Posts
LOL I started out with a standard 1911, then transitioned to a new-fangled (way back then) Para Ordnance P-14 frame topped off with Colt NM parts/upper. Man did I go through the belts with those pants draggers.

I have been through my share of little double-stacks but kind of settled on a Glock 48 for my "small gun" because it just fits me well and carries so easy.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
The best thing is a re-inforced gun belt, has a glock like layer in between two strips of bull hide it will hold up heavy guns without a problem if you want to pack heavy.

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
I also just remembered. Lt. Castillo also carried a revolver. Recall the "Home Invaders" episode where he went in on raid with Crocket after the older LT. "Jack" I think just wasn't on the ball anymore. That was a heck of a fight. Castillo with his revolver and Crocket with his BrenTen.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
Yep that was a great episode. I always laughed at Castillo throwing the plastic end table through the sliding glass door. I know that was the 80’s and hurricane windows and doors weren’t yet the rage but could you image that today? That thing would’ve bounce off that glass door like rubber ball, especially in Miami where the hurricane codes call for 150 mph impact windows. 🤣

If you recall they were originally sitting inside of Miriam Goldman’s house as they assumed she owned the blue corvette. This was right before the ending shootout scene at the other house above. At that point, Castillo had a very nice pump shot gun sitting across his lap. That made more sense to me if you knew you were about to get into an armed encounter. I always wondered why he didn’t take that with him going into the daughter’s house at the end? I guess cause the script said so....

It always amazed me how they would knowingly go into a gun fight with a six round revolver. But I guess if you know you can’t run out of bullets and the script says you win, you’re ok. 🤣

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
Yep that was a great episode. I always laughed at Castillo throwing the plastic end table through the sliding glass door. I know that was the 80’s and hurricane windows and doors weren’t yet the rage but could you image that today? That thing would’ve bounce off that glass door like rubber ball, especially in Miami where the hurricane codes call for 150 mph impact windows. 🤣

If you recall they were originally sitting inside of Miriam Goldman’s house as they assumed she owned the blue corvette. This was right before the ending shootout scene at the other house above. At that point, Castillo had a very nice pump shot gun sitting across his lap. That made more sense to me if you knew you were about to get into an armed encounter. I always wondered why he didn’t take that with him going into the daughter’s house at the end? I guess cause the script said so....

It always amazed me how they would knowingly go into a gun fight with a six round revolver. But I guess if you know you can’t run out of bullets and the script says you win, you’re ok. 🤣
Castillo was always "innovative." 😃 Recall the "Bushido" episode where he held off the three KGB agents with just a Samauri Sword...

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
Yep, Bushido is one of the greatest episodes of the series. It was the one episode that dived deep into Castillo’s background. Always the Brooding, non-emotional, silent types....

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
Yep, Bushido is one of the greatest episodes of the series. It was the one episode that dived deep into Castillo’s background. Always the Brooding, non-emotional, silent types....
In terms of revealing part of Castillo's background, I always favored the two parter "Golden Triangle" (actually, the fist part was originally called "Score...."). Because I liked the plot line in which we meet his "wife" Mei Ying (played originally by Joan Chen),,, only to have him discover that she "remarried." What a blow to Castillo, but he carried on and got General Lao Lee (played by Keye Luke). I recall where she returned in the third season, but was played by Rosalind Chao. I preferred Chen... she was a much warmer character. And I don't know what the writers were thinking by having them separate again after Mei Ying's husband was killed in that subsequent episode.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
What a great show. My law firm would have a firm meeting on Wednesday mornings at 7 AM. A couple of my partners and I would spend the first 15 minutes talking about the latest episode of Miami Vice.

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
For those who might be interested, apparently, there may be some sort of Miami Vice Reunion mini-series in the works for 2021, although not officially announced. It would feature the entire original cast (except for John Diehl, who was killed in the series), but in modern day times and at their "advanced" age. There's a Youtube set which shows some shorts regarding such a series. I cannot vouch for the accuracy, but I have seen an interview that Don Johnson did where he "more than hints" at such a return (although nothing official, yet).

The main plot, apparently, involves the team coming together to rescue/help Lt. Castillo, who got into some rather nasty trouble and "made a mistake" as he says.

We'll have to see where this goes.

Miami Vice 2021 - Mini Series....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts