Florida Concealed Carry banner

.556 ammo recommendations

5K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  edgehill 
#1 ·
I currently use Federal Eagle and like it. I need something simple and cheap for the range for simple target shooting. LCAAP (Lake City Army Ammunition Plant) seems to be the cheapest I can find at .29 cents/round new. I found reman from Freedom Munitions for .27 cents/round. I've had real good experience with NEW from Freedom but never tried reman. I don't want to spend too much time clearing duds out of my AR. Is it worth the 2 cents a round? I would likely buy 1k rounds at a time.

#3 ·
What about using .223 for range-plinking? Usually a bit cheaper than 5.56.

#5 ·
I've had good luck with PMC.

#6 ·
PMC, Fed LC, foreign made 556 NATO spec have all run well for me. I haven't purchased any (ANY!) ammo for a couple years so I don't know what the race to the bottom looks like these days. For myself, I'd never try an unknown to save a few pennies and believe that if it seems too good to be true - it likely is.

#9 ·
#12 ·
#17 ·
I lived with two of them...

#20 ·
You might want to do some research on steel cased com block ammo. From what ive heard in the past couple of years, shooting one round out of your AR is like shooting 30 rounds of western ammo due to the material used in the bullet. I stopped used wolf a couple years ago and replaced with PMC

#22 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.