Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This subject hasn't been up for a while so........My wife and I regularly walk or ride bikes in the neighborhood. In the last few months we've been attacked 4 times by different dogs while riding or walking. Three of those times we've had to JUMP off our bikes as the dogs attacked before we could pass their homes. Each time, the dogs bared their teeth and barked ferociously.

IF I did not have the bike between the dog and us, I don't know what would have happened to us. They are medium sized dogs (50 lbs). All came into the street to attack.

This last time, the owner came out and said their little doggie would not attack anyone (right after it attacked us) and got beligerant. So, I called 911. Police came out and took a report and went to their home. That's all I know.

I will carry pepper spray from now on and gun of course. People with dogs are clueless as to what their dogs can and will do.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add, that I really gave it to the owners each time, verbally. Some were remorseful but the last one was a jerk. 5 attacks is too many. People are letting their dogs roam freely in the neighborhood where there are not too many homes.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Pepper spray after the dog has left it's yard should make them run the opposite way the next time they see you coming.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Pepper spray after the dog has left it's yard should make them run the opposite way the next time they see you coming.
I agree, in my morning walks, outside of always being armed with my Sigma, the pepper spray canister is always with me. Always ready for man or beast.

Wally World carries them in the sporting dept. Never leave home without one.

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
Doesn't always work. Better have a Plan B for if/when it doesn't. A good 21" ASP is a nice addition to the arsenal.

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
We got our dog because she was a free range puppy.

The neighbors at the end of the block had her and she was always getting out and running around our street (short cul-de-sac with on 10 houses). I kept catching her and taking her back. Finally I told them if they weren't interested in the dog then we would take her. About 2 weeks later they gave her to us.

I agree dogs shouldn't be allowed to run free. We let Sadie out in the front yard only when we are out there. 2 year old Golden Retrievers are just so adorable.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
If you end up going the pepper spray or asp route, please make sure your wife is ready to video-tape it. Not for the authorities, but rather for us to watch it. :grin

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
If you end up going the pepper spray or asp route, please make sure your wife is ready to video-tape it. Not for the authorities, but rather for us to watch it. :grin
Maybe I'll let him take a nibble first. :grin

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
funny you mention that because I had been taking my vid cam with me almost everywhere I go. Sometimes, I forget and this was one of those times. It's a regular cam with video on it. Police would see what goes on.

And, Paladin, at least 2 of those times, there were owners present when their dogs attacked. I told the one lady next time I SEE the dog out front without a leash, I"m calling the cops. A couple weeks later, he attacked my wife, who was walking but the kid who owns the dog called him back as my wife had her pepper spray ready to fire..

·
Registered
480 Posts
You should call county/city animal control. If they don't take it get ready to put it down. Steak knives I hear work great, so do bullets. If any large dog tried to attack me unless the owner is right there, I'll put it down with my Ka-bar. Especially when I'm walking with my little spit of a dog. It almost happened once but almosts don't count.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you really want to try being nice, try squirting the dog in the face with your water bottle. In all the years I've ridden, I've only had two dogs that didn't back off. They both got pepper sprayed. I've never had to pull my gun on a dog.

With the bike between you and the dog, you've got some cover so you have some time to try different things.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you really want to try being nice, try squirting the dog in the face with your water bottle. In all the years I've ridden, I've only had two dogs that didn't back off. They both got pepper sprayed. I've never had to pull my gun on a dog.

With the bike between you and the dog, you've got some cover so you have some time to try different things.
Great way to deal with the situation. Remember you are approaching a dogs home territory and they are only acting naturally. I keep a very close eye on my dog and in ten years he has never gotten out, butbif he did he would definitely protect our property by barking. If you draw and shoot keep in mind you might end up in a firefight.....at least on my cul de sac. Just offering a loving dog owners perspective. With that being said nothing pisses me off more then dog owners who knowingly let their dogs roam. I'm involved with a dog rescue organization so I've seen my share of idiot dog owners.

·
Registered
20,601 Posts
ive had 2 instances on my own street while walking the dog (yorkie...the high strung little **** isnt much help in these situations)....

one was german shepard that roams free a lot and followed us down the edge of the property line at the road for the length of 2 yards growling and baring its teeth....i armed the pepper spray and as i passed the owners garage told him to get the dog off my ass or i would dispatch him if he stepped into the street....end of problem...nice guy...just not real aware of what his dog might be capable of...

another time a dog lying under a tree launched at us and closed while barking and baring teeth for a good 40 feet till he hit the end of his rope right at roadside...i had the spray out and full purchase on my gun ready to draw from the opposite side of the street...if he hit the street rope or not i might have shot him in his tracks...i didnt think the rope was going to end...it just kept coming...that owner got a visit from animal control and has a short run on the rope now...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Years ago, a live in girlfriend had two Chow Chow's. The smaller female was just plain viscious and always picking fights with the larger male, despite getting her butt kicked every time. Constant blood on the carpet and furniture got old, so I got some Fox pepper spray. Figured if it's good enough for the cops, it's good enough to teach the dogs a lesson.

They started going at it, so I sprayed them. They stopped for a fraction of a second, then went right back to tearing each other to pieces. Finally I just had to pull them apart. They were miserable after they stopped fighting, but it did nothing to stop their attack. Lesson learned. At least I got the enjoyment of the ex screaming in pain after she hugged one of the dogs and got a face full of spray that was all over their fur. Well worth the price of the spray! :2thumsup

(At least) 5 deadly dog attacks in 5 months. All Pit Bulls, who's owners all probably claimed they were the most gentle, friendly dogs in the world.... what a coincidence.... :banghead2

·
Registered
161 Posts
When I used to live in Orlando I was attacked by a rather large lab mix while walking my dog. My 12 pound Schipperke intervened and while she got bit I punched the lab hard enough to make it reconsider and it backed away. If I had a pistol with me at the time I would have shot it. This is one of the events that really convinced me to start actively carrying. It's not just the idiot people you have to worry about. It's the idiot people's dogs too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts