Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s the best bang for the buck fixed blade in the 4” to 5” length? I’m leaning towards the Esee 4 or 5 (Rat 4, 5).

It’ll be more of a truck/bob blade for general use. If it fits the defensive roll as well then, that’s a plus.

Budget: <$150

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,003 Posts

·
Registered
54,331 Posts
I've never been a fan of Gerber knives. The steel on this is 420, which may be fine for a truck knife, but the heat treatment will be the key. I have some older 420 knives that are impossible to sharpen because they are so hard.
420 is low grade s/s. Low grade s/s's have to be heat treated above normal rockwell to hold an edge. It also makes a lot of lower end s/s bl;ades brittle on the edge, and easily chipped out. Thus they are difficult to sharpen.

I'd recommend a 6" blade like the srk. Tough as nails, holds and edge well and pretty damned easy to get an edge back. 27.00 dollars cheaper than the Gerber and far superior steel. I keep one attached to my SAR pack permanently
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Cold-Steel-SRK-Search-Rescue-Fixed--52053

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas.... I don’t know squat about the different steels. Interestingly enough, I was looking at that same CS knife you linked Brownie. The price is excellent as well. That means I can get two blades for my current budget.

·
Registered
15,046 Posts
I keep a Mora in the truck in addition to the baby Kbar. Cheap and easy to sharpen. Strapped to my get home pack with mags and such. Epstein did not kill himself

·
Registered
54,331 Posts
Thanks fellas.... I don’t know squat about the different steels. Interestingly enough, I was looking at that same CS knife you linked Brownie. The price is excellent as well. That means I can get two blades for my current budget.

:thumsup sir

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I keep a Mora in the truck in addition to the baby Kbar. Cheap and easy to sharpen. Strapped to my get home pack with mags and such. Epstein did not kill himself
I’ve read good things about those Mora knives.

·
Registered
10,931 Posts
Design your own and call it, "Sharp Bastard." ;)

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Super Moderator
6,003 Posts
I’ve read good things about those Mora knives.

My wife keeps a Mora in her get home bag and that knife you gave us in her work bag.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Mora is good, but I have a Buck Selkirk that I like.. Well reviewed, heavy blade, easy to sharpen. I like it. The large folder is also good. Excellent for the price.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Does it have to be a knife? :)
https://blade-city.com/collections/hot-sellers/products/tactical-bam-bam-bat

I think there is a gun show in Miami this week.
Probably the usual, er, um,... "deals", but I went last year and a whole bunch of vendors had knives on display.
Sure, 75+% of them were crap, but there were plenty of higher-end knives too.
You could at least hold them and check them out for fit & feel, even if you ultimately purchase elsewhere.

Of course, Miami is a trek, and it's $13 entry fee (or whatever).

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My wife keeps a Mora in her get home bag and that knife you gave us in her work bag.
I’m glad it’s being kept in a usable role.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mora is good, but I have a Buck Selkirk that I like.. Well reviewed, heavy blade, easy to sharpen. I like it. The large folder is also good. Excellent for the price.
Will look into this one as well, thanks.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does it have to be a knife? :)
https://blade-city.com/collections/hot-sellers/products/tactical-bam-bam-bat

I think there is a gun show in Miami this week.
Probably the usual, er, um,... "deals", but I went last year and a whole bunch of vendors had knives on display.
Sure, 75+% of them were crap, but there were plenty of higher-end knives too.
You could at least hold them and check them out for fit & feel, even if you ultimately purchase elsewhere.

Of course, Miami is a trek, and it's $13 entry fee (or whatever).
Every time in the past I went to the PBC shows, most tables had flea market knives and the “higher end” knives where over priced. But, it might be worth the $10 entry fee to handle some of them. Good idea, thanks.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
I've never been a fan of Gerber knives. The steel on this is 420, which may be fine for a truck knife, but the heat treatment will be the key. I have some older 420 knives that are impossible to sharpen because they are so hard.
I would agree, Gerber used to be a good company.........long time ago!!!

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’ve received some good recommendations from you all and on another forum (yes, I’m cheating on y’all!). I will make my purchase soon sometime this month. Thank you all.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts