Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of the main reasons newbie’s come to our intro to handgun classes is fear.... many fear this scenario.....so what would you do?

You wake up, to a sound, maybe the dog, maybe the alarm, maybe to ....something that’s just not right. You lay there for a second clearing your mind and listening. Someone’s moving around the house for sure. You reach over to you partner (in bed with you, he / she is there fast asleep) there is no one else who lives or is staying with you.

What you do?....how do you do it!
:popcorn

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Quietly wake partner, grab phone have partner call 911, grab weapon and flashlight. Move to door, all the while listening for sounds to determine location and possible number of intruders. Next move depends on where and how many there are. One person a distance away I have more time to advance and survey. Move to advantageous point and fire if hands & weapon are visible.. No weapon visible but hands are I'll give one warning shout to hit the ground, any move other than that I fire.. More than one and close by I may hold my ground and wait for one or both/all to make a mistake then fire..

·
Super Moderator
19,799 Posts
Depends on which dog is barking.

If it's one of 'the' dogs, rack shotty, ensure bolts on door are secured. Wait for sound of anguished screaming. Once screaming begins, grab cold beer from bedside fridge. Drink half of the beer. Exit safe room, locate sound of anguished screaming. If person screaming is vertical, administer 2-3 rounds of 00 buckshot. When anguished screaming (and breathing) stops, secure non-breathing idiot that entered my man-cave, call off dog, praise. Call cops and clean-up crew. Finish beer, open new one, wait for cops. Email boss that I may be a little late for work. Call attorney....call attorney again after she swears at me and hangs up.

Spouse never wakes up.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
If no one else is home and it's me and the Mrs then we will stay put. I will cover the door while she get's on the phone with 911. If this person ignores the alarm that should be hopefully blaring they would certainly head to the master bedroom and that's when they will be caught in a fatal funnel which is the bedroom entrance. A couple of Glocks and maybe and AR would be what would be awaiting anyone breaching that door.

·
Registered
48 Posts

If it's one of 'the' dogs, rack shotty, ensure bolts on door are secured. Wait for sound of anguished screaming. Once screaming begins, grab cold beer from bedside fridge. Drink half of the beer. Exit safe room, locate sound of anguished screaming. If person screaming is vertical, administer 2-3 rounds of 00 buckshot. When anguished screaming (and breathing) stops, secure non-breathing idiot that entered my man-cave, call off dog, praise. Call cops and clean-up crew. Finish beer, open new one, wait for cops. Email boss that I may be a little late for work. Call attorney....call attorney again after she swears at me and hangs up.

Spouse never wakes up.

Ilmao; sounds like something I would do!:rolf

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Call the corner's direct line, tell them to bring shovels and squeegees. :grin
The two pibulls had a little entertainment and we need a cleanup on aisle 5. :thumsup

In all seriousness with the dogs, there will be no question as to what is going on. I'll grab the Glock or the Remington and Surefire and go see what the hubbub is all about, somebody might need shooting (doubtful, but better safe than sorry.)

·
Registered
3,224 Posts

Spouse never wakes up.
+1..I'm with Scott..except forgot, "Call friends, bring more beer, we've got a long night ahead of us"...

·
Registered
313 Posts
call 911, stay inside,turn on outside lights if any are off,hit the alarm button on the car key fob to set the car alarm off.Defend the doors from inside the house.Of course pistol in hand and time permitting the shotgun too.

·
Registered
359 Posts

Spouse never wakes up.
I like it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Wake wife, rack shotgun, place .380 w/ laser in sweat pants pocket. Lock bedroom door. Sit with shotgun pointed at door. Call Police. Explain situation and give description of myself and wife and our location in the house. Make sure dispatcher understands this is a description of the "good guys". Give dispatcher code word. Have cops clear house and shout code word to me. Shotgun goes back on rack in closet. Lights in bedroom go on and unlock door and ask Police how they would like to proceed. Hands will be in plain view.

Now that I've written this I realize that I really hope I never actually have to do it.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Wife, kids to strategic plan room....wife on cell phone to LE...my bead is on the only way in towards us.
DAMN, I am jealous of that fridge next to the bed, I remember those days. Damn!!! Need to integrate beer, headed to store so I can train all night. :grin

·
Registered
438 Posts
This scenario makes sense to me because of the way that my house is laid out.

I would send wife into the kids room with phone to call 911. I would position myself between thief and the room where my wife and kids are. My intent is to draw focus away from the kid’s room, so that the wife and kids are safe from stray bullets.

Depending on the direction the intruder is coming from, I have two fatal funnel options, both of which I can stand off to the side and not be easily seen at first glance.

If the BG comes into my line of site I yell:

*BANG* STOP *BANG* I DON'T WANT TO *BANG* *BANG* HURT YOU.

After ending the threat as quickly as possible. Assuming that my wife is still on the phone with 911, I call Buckley's hotline (because I haven't found a local lawyer as of yet).

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
If no one else is home and it's me and the Mrs then we will stay put. I will cover the door while she get's on the phone with 911. If this person ignores the alarm that should be hopefully blaring they would certainly head to the master bedroom and that's when they will be caught in a fatal funnel which is the bedroom entrance. A couple of Glocks and maybe and AR would be what would be awaiting anyone breaching that door.
I would say similar response. If it's just me and the spouse in the house and no one else but the pets and the perps, then I would wake spouse (who would most likle already be awake since she is easily wakened), have her grab her nightstand handgun and cell phone, while I grab the shotgun. Take concealment behind bed, have spouse dial 911. Wait, and cover door. No sense in trying to clear the house if no other family members are home. If door is breached, send #00 buck and 9 mm SD flying...

·
Registered
21,410 Posts
this scenario...

just my wife and i...immediate go to handgun and tac light...wife on the line or cell to 911 while we take up refuge in the far end of our room behind the bed and desk and in full view of the door.."the funnel"...if the intruder is in a far enough away area of the house i move to the closet for the shottie and prep...its loaded all the time...otherwise i'm confident in my handgun in the house....wait for police and let the intruder decide how to proceed when they get here....he either walks into my shot path or leaves...i do not have access to any door from my room with an intruder in the house...the police will be notified that the door will be locked when they arrive...where we will be and what to expect if they hear shots...

i like scotts idea with the dogs but sending my 9 pound yorkie out would be like offering the intruder a snack...but might make for an entertaining moment of 2 as he is pretty gynnastic and can jump about 4 feet off the ground begging for attention....it would probably help locate the intruder for me....

it gets complicated if my 10 year old daughter is home as she is located on the far side of the house in a split design...the plan is long and cumbersome to confirm she is safe..if she is aware she is already buried in her closet which is located away from my shooting lanes...if she isnt she is sleeping and her bed is located away from shooting lanes...the police response time and my estimate of where the intruder(s) are will determine whether i decide to blaze a trail to her or not...its a long way over there....

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Do you folks actually hole up in your bedrooms and call 911 every time you hear a bump in the night? :dunno

1 - 20 of 41 Posts