Florida Concealed Carry banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
As wiser heads than mine have considered, the .38-ish caliber has been doing the job on people since the 1851 Colt "Navy" model. The .380 ACP is more powerful than the originals, even out of short barrels. (Your mileage may vary and chronographs are notoriously inaccurate and subject to interference, gremlins, sunspots and plain puckishness.
Colt .36 Navy .380 Conical bullet 136 gr @ 710 fps equals 152 ft/lbs energy
Colt .36 Navy .36 round ball 80 gr @ 850 fps equals 128 ft/lbs energy
Winchester .380 ACP 95 gr ball @ 955 fps equals 192 ft/lbs energy
For the Anglophile Revolver collectors in the crowd;
.380 British Revolver 200 gr lead round nose @ 650 fps equals 188 ft/lbs energy.
Geoff
Who is a curious fellow

·
Registered
217 Posts
In fact it weighs 34 ounces. That's just shy of 2#'s. Not extraordinarily heavy for a full size pistol.

My shield 9mm weighs 20 ounces [ that I carry most days up on my belt in a holster ], and my LW J frame weighs just 15 ounces unloaded.
Try carrying a stainless 226 or 220. Just a bit more weight.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have carried in the past a P238, 230 and a 232. Lately it has been a XDE 45 acp. I just got a 365XL and will add that to my rotation after I get some rounds through it.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
My current most used EDC guns are a Wilson EDC X9 and a Shield Plus. Both are in 9mm.
The Wilson is 15+1, and the Shield Plus holds 13+1.

With small 9mm pistols (such as my Shields and a Kahr CM9) readily available; there’s no way in Hell I’m carrying a .380, even though I have one (Sig P238)!

The fact that black powder .36’s and .38’s were carried “back when” means no more to me than the fact that the indians used bows and arrows.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I started off with a keltec p3at .380 and love the size but found out after shooting it that it was hard to shoot accurately fast. I have a couple different 380s and for up and personal it will definitely do the job. But at distance I would not trust my shot if I was in a crowded situation.

Another point of concern was when I shot at rubber type targets, quite a few shots wouldn't even go through the target. Thats when I switched to a larger caliber. I still use my p3at. But only for specific situations.

·
Registered
6 Posts
the lightest/smallest i've carried is two Ruger LCPs, no reloads. works pretty well when I have to wear more formal clothes.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts