Florida Concealed Carry banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
When just in the house I wear those stretchy shorts with the elastic band also. The ones I wear, under armor & Nike, also have a draw string. I have my .389 in my pocket, in a remora & if need be, I can stick my G27 in the IWB & do a quick knot in the draw string. I am also damn sure to be wearing slaps! I grew up doing everything from playing football & soccer in slaps, to hog huntin in em.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
When just in the house I wear those stretchy shorts with the elastic band also. The ones I wear, under armor & Nike, also have a draw string. I have my .389 in my pocket, in a remora & if need be, I can stick my G27 in the IWB & do a quick knot in the draw string. I am also damn sure to be wearing slaps! I grew up doing everything from playing football & soccer in slaps, to hog huntin in em.
What are "slaps?" I've never heard that term to describe clothing.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
slaps are flip-flops
Ah... I've never heard that term, "slaps," in my life.

But, yeah... the ONLY place the "slaps" are "proper" footwear are at the beach or pool. Otherwise, I see the as dangerous - possibly impeding GTFO when needed. Just my rule. :)

·
Registered
21,476 Posts
Ah... I've never heard that term, "slaps," in my life.

But, yeah... the ONLY place the "slaps" are "proper" footwear are at the beach or pool. Otherwise, I see the as dangerous - possibly impeding GTFO when needed. Just my rule. :)
Many of us who live in flips flops are quite adept at maneuvering in them....and only a flip away from barefoot...
If I were to take even a moment away from comfort for worrying all the time about egress or a fight I would find myself more miserable than I already do...the whole give up freedom for safety thing...

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
Many of us who live in flips flops are quite adept at maneuvering in them....and only a flip away from barefoot...
If I were to take even a moment away from comfort for worrying all the time about egress or a fight I would find myself more miserable than I already do...the whole give up freedom for safety thing...
I will leave your butt in the dust if the SHTF and we have to GTFO. :p

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
I hate to contradict the master, but the Euro Police tended to the .32 ACP or 7.65 mm, instead of the .380 ACP or 9mm Kurz. There was much ado in the Erlangen Newspaper, when I was failing to learn German, about police getting the massive military 9mm over the proven Walther PP in 7.65. This was 1976-79 when I was in the US Army Europe.
Geoff
Who was mostly a paperwork NCO.
Well, that’s a factoid that has nothing to do with prudent carry gun caliber decisions; what guns/calibers the euro-police were allowed to carry “whenever.”
I’d put that right in the category of “so if all your friends wanted to jump off a bridge, does that mean that you should too?”
Timeless Mother wisdon right there that I’m pretty sure we all heard growing up.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I found a leather IWB for a kahr i dont own anymore and have in the past week been wearing that with a smith 380 bodyguard 380 with an extra mag in IWB holder. Depeding on where im going it makes a little easier carry. Mostly i have a smith mp compact in a panther OWB holster, that i discovered at the last brownie class i like the best.

·
Registered
56,085 Posts
I hate to contradict the master, but the Euro Police tended to the .32 ACP or 7.65 mm, instead of the .380 ACP or 9mm Kurz. There was much ado in the Erlangen Newspaper, when I was failing to learn German, about police getting the massive military 9mm over the proven Walther PP in 7.65. This was 1976-79 when I was in the US Army Europe.
Geoff
Who was mostly a paperwork NCO.
That is correct, I stand corrected. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
That is correct, I stand corrected. Thank you.
You are very welcome.
Now have you heard of some Euro police agencies using US Revolvers? I've seen various and scattered information about this. One collector showed me a US Issue WW2 S&W that had been recycled through several departments during and after the Occupation of parts of Europe by United Nations Forces after WW2, a one piece collection of unusual stampings. In the UK back in the 1970 some departments issued Ruger Speed Six revolvers, some even in .357 Magnum! They only carried for special events and their backups were submachine guns. This was from a slightly remembered network TV news show which mainly discussed the "Flying Squads" armed police in cars responding to radio calls from officers on foot.
Geoff
Who is a curious fellow.

·
Registered
56,085 Posts
You are very welcome.
Now have you heard of some Euro police agencies using US Revolvers? I've seen various and scattered information about this. One collector showed me a US Issue WW2 S&W that had been recycled through several departments during and after the Occupation of parts of Europe by United Nations Forces after WW2, a one piece collection of unusual stampings. In the UK back in the 1970 some departments issued Ruger Speed Six revolvers, some even in .357 Magnum! They only carried for special events and their backups were submachine guns. This was from a slightly remembered network TV news show which mainly discussed the "Flying Squads" armed police in cars responding to radio calls from officers on foot.
Geoff
Who is a curious fellow.
I've no knowledge of Euro police using revo's sir.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I like the 380 for EDC. Does anyone else out there agree?
As a retired firefighter in a larger city in Florida, I've seen enough victims who died from a .380....right on the scene, to believe that it is effective. While it would be great to carry a .45 or high capacity 9mm, it may not be ideal for everyone due to weight and printing.
I do carry a Hellcat at times but my favorite is my Sig p238. It's 7+1, Hornady Critical Defense, very concealable and light for pocket carry (fits in jeans front pocket in Desantis Nemesis) and easy to deploy.
There will be several varying opinions about caliber and carry on here and to me, it all boils down to the old adage of carrying what you are comfortable with, will carry all the time and can shoot well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
As a retired firefighter in a larger city in Florida, I've seen enough victims who died from a .380....right on the scene, to believe that it is effective. While it would be great to carry a .45 or high capacity 9mm, it may not be ideal for everyone due to weight and printing.
I do carry a Hellcat at times but my favorite is my Sig p238. It's 7+1, Hornady Critical Defense, very concealable and light for pocket carry (fits in jeans front pocket in Desantis Nemesis) and easy to deploy.
There will be several varying opinions about caliber and carry on here and to me, it all boils down to the old adage of carrying what you are comfortable with, will carry all the time and can shoot well.
Thanks Elknik
I’m glad you agree. my .380 bodyguard with the same ammo. Is a lethal enough defense platform, that I am comfortable with.

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
It has its place in the line-up.
Agreed and I carry one too. Right now on my way to a holiday party with a .380 in my pocket. I’d prefer a Phased Plasma Rifle in a 40 Watt Range but that isn’t always an option. ;)

YMMV

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I carried the Ruger LCP Mk. I for many years. Now I carry my Kahr. I'm working with lower recoil guns, Glock 42 and SWaMPy EZ 380, but I need more range time. I have also carried S&W Model 38 and 638 in .38 Special.
Geoff
Who experiments.
I gotta get me one of them Swampy EZs. They running the tall boy and can of dip Christmas purchase special??

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
IMO, the main factor that has made the .380 acp less favorable as a concealed carry weapon is the advent of micro 9mm pistols; one can now carry a 380-sized pistol chambered in a more effective caliber, albeit with increased recoil. That being said, the .380 acp is still better than harsh language, or a larger gun left at home or in the car. And though I primarily carry pistols chambered in 9mm, I still slip a Glock 42 into the pocket of my shorts from time to time.
What he said! Mine is even in Tiffany Blue, (cause I’m classy like that), I t’s my wife’s actually, but on occasion it suits my need better than my usual carry and I’ll drop it in a pocket holster and head out.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts