Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I carried the Ruger LCP Mk. I for many years. Now I carry my Kahr. I'm working with lower recoil guns, Glock 42 and SWaMPy EZ 380, but I need more range time. I have also carried S&W Model 38 and 638 in .38 Special.
Geoff
Who experiments.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
My first carry gun was a Colt Pony Pocketlite .380. It was very easy to carry (in a pocket holster), so it was a good transition into Concealed Carry for me.

I don't carry it anymore, for a few reasons. First... it had a mechanical failure. It was a few years ago. The trigger went dead / loose. I left it with the gunsmith who fixed it. I forget exactly what the problem was, honestly. But, I believe the trigger connector fell off. The gunsmith just "put it back." In any case, I lost confidence in the gun as an EDC.

The other reasons I don't carry it include that I prefer a higher capacity and larger caliber. So, my two primary EDCs are now a Glock 27 and a S&W 642 Airweight. The 5-shot 642 in .38-SPL would seem to contradict my preference for capacity and caliber. It's a matter of convenience, depending on what I'm wearing. If my clothes will permit it, the G27 is my first choice.

That said... I may be building a G26. Depending on how that goes, it may replace the G27 as an EDC.

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Better than nothing. And better than a .22LR or 25ACP / BB gun, slingshot, etc...

As you might discern, I feel a .380 is a little under-powered for personal defense.
Disclaimer: I once owned a S&W Bodyguard in .380, (thinking I "needed" a mouse-gun), but ultimately the gun was too small for my hands and I couldn't reliably hit my targets.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
When I first started carrying, I carried a .380. That was mainly because I was afraid that I could not effectively conceal anything bigger. In time, I learned that I was completely wrong about that. I moved up to a single-stack 9mm and realized that it was still quite well concealed, and nobody ever notices anyway. Nowadays I often carry a double-stack 9mm, and while it may be possible that a few people have noticed the slight bulge under my shirt, no one has ever said anything. Most people are just completely oblivious.

If you are carrying a .380 because you are worried that you cannot effectively conceal anything bigger, I would submit that you are almost certainly wrong about that.

BUT! We all get to make our own choices. Carry what you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
IMO, the main factor that has made the .380 acp less favorable as a concealed carry weapon is the advent of micro 9mm pistols; one can now carry a 380-sized pistol chambered in a more effective caliber, albeit with increased recoil. That being said, the .380 acp is still better than harsh language, or a larger gun left at home or in the car. And though I primarily carry pistols chambered in 9mm, I still slip a Glock 42 into the pocket of my shorts from time to time.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
If you are carrying a .380 because you are worried that you cannot effectively conceal anything bigger, I would submit that you are almost certainly wrong about that.
This!

But, I get it. It's how I "transitioned." Haha!

Denverd0n is right. Nobody will notice that you're concealing... or concealing something bigger... to a point, of course. In the extreme.... a Desert Eagle is probably not very "concealable."

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the great feed back!
Living in Florida, I wear very loose and light clothing. No belt. I carry my M&P .380 shield in a IWH. I think any thing else would be to heavy!

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
Thanks for the great feed back!
Living in Florida, I wear very loose and light clothing. No belt. I carry my M&P .380 shield in a IWH. I think any thing else would be to heavy!
1. Most of us here live in Florida.

2. Get a GUN belt. Not a "heavy" or "thick" belt. A gun belt. Even to carry a small pistol. Are you even using a holster of some kind? Or "Mexican carry?"

3. Get a good holster to wear on your gun belt.

Do that, and it makes the "heavy" go away. But, you should be doing that, even for a mouse gun carried IWB.

For my "light days," I carry the S&W 642 in a pocket holster (in my dominant side front pocket with NOTHING else in the pocket).

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I carried a Kahr CW380 for some time. Very small (almost to small for my hand) and fairly accurate...little snappy but manageable. The cost of 380 ammo was another reason I went to a 9mm .....Kahr CM9. So many 9mm are more compact and with larger capacity mags, more after market sights and internal improvements available, especially for Glocks, it just seems to make sense to go to a 9mm. Very satisfied with my Glock 43x which is now my EDC. My favorite 380 was a Bersa Thunder....just fit my hand well....little heavier than the CW380 and was very accurate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My problem is. I wear like 99% elastic shorts with a drawstring. With my .380 in a soft leather holster clipped on my shorts with no belt of course. Is there a 9mm that is just as light?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I found nothing lighter than my CW380. Giving up wearing the drawstring shorts for extended wear away from the house was one sacrifice going to the larger CM9 and now the G43x, but still cinch up the drawstring shorts, and throw the 43x on just to go get gas or a brief convenience store run. Any longer trip is cargo shorts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found nothing lighter than my CW380. Giving up wearing the drawstring shorts for extended wear away from the house was one sacrifice going to the larger CM9 and now the G43x, but still cinch up the drawstring shorts, and throw the 43x on just to go get gas or a brief convenience store run. Any longer trip is cargo shorts.
I think the term you're looking for is "saggers".
Can't have your gun weighing down yer britches!

View attachment 73451
I think the term you're looking for is "saggers".
Can't have your gun weighing down yer britches!

View attachment 73451
I guess, I should rethink my wardrobe! Like pants that can accommodate a gun belt.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
My problem is. I wear like 99% elastic shorts with a drawstring. With my .380 in a soft leather holster clipped on my shorts with no belt of course. Is there a 9mm that is just as light?
Time to get some man pants! LOL! ;)

As @mike_1950 mentioned other considerations include availability and cost of .380 ammo. Also, .380s are generally not a lot of "fun" to shoot at the range. Both of those factors can mean less practice with the gun.

Ultimately, you know what's best for you.

But, yeah... maybe put on some real clothes. Haha! They say, for concealed carry, "you dress around the gun."

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I compared my 43x and the G 19 for CCW...the 43x won....tried the P80...the grip has to be made out of friggin old files...rough on the side.....and still like the 43x better. I do like the Springfield XDe, but for CCW that bugger is heavy for a 8+1 carry option.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts