Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode with a pretty big group on Sunday, from the valley up to Payson [ 3600 feet ] for breakfast, then on to Globe over the Mogollon rim [ 7,000 feet ], then down into Superior and back to the valley [ 1650 feet ].

I'm wearing the hi-viz jacket and Helite Turtle 2 air vest

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,366 Posts
Excellent and thanks for sharing, brownie! :2thumsup

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Oh how I miss my Harley and the Traveling I did when I had some decent health.
Mexico
Canada
And every state in the Union except Alaska & Hawaii.
I was lucky enough to take off a couple of months in the summer to go riding.
I'm really happy for you Brownie because you are doing something a lot of people would want to do but wait until their health goes and it is to late for them.
There is absolutely nothing better then hitting the road on a two wheel magic carpet called a Motorcycle.
God Bless you Brownie for sharing your adventures.
Ronnie:2thumsup

·
Registered
54,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Oh how I miss my Harley and the Traveling I did when I had some decent health.
Mexico
Canada
And every state in the Union except Alaska & Hawaii.
I was lucky enough to take off a couple of months in the summer to go riding.
I'm really happy for you Brownie because you are doing something a lot of people would want to do but wait until their health goes and it is to late for them.
There is absolutely nothing better then hitting the road on a two wheel magic carpet called a Motorcycle.
God Bless you Brownie for sharing your adventures.
Ronnie:2thumsup
Doing the Rocky Point rally in Nov. https://rockypointrally.com/slider/2018-rocky-point-rally-calendar/

End of this year I'll have traveled N to Canada to the arctic and S into Mexico. I've hit maybe 35-40 states on the bike, several are on the bucket list for next summer.

Oh, and I'm ATGATT in the pics in temp of 106-108, while the others were in T shirts and leather vests. :rofl

·
Registered
54,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice pics, Did you buy a different bike?
No, that's the bike that went Ak. last summer. I shipped my BMW GT to my brother, it now resides on the east coast [ new england ]. :thumsup

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
That is just some beautiful country, thank you for sharing. Enjoy yourself bud, you deserve it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
You’re killing me brownie. I really need to get off my duff and get another ride.:aarg

Great looking run there and beautiful country I miss at times.

We were living there about a year before I learned (the hard way mind you) it’s not pronounced “Mongolian” Rim. Had a dude at work correct me....not so politely either. I was leading the section meeting that day. Nothing takes a Floridian’s credibility down a few notches in a roomful of Arizonans better than being chastised by a subordinate about local culture and actually reading the word vs. a quick scan and assumption about its pronunciation. :doh

·
Registered
54,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You’re killing me brownie. I really need to get off my duff and get another ride.:aarg

Great looking run there and beautiful country I miss at times.

We were living there about a year before I learned (the hard way mind you) it’s not pronounced “Mongolian” Rim. Had a dude at work correct me....not so politely either. I was leading the section meeting that day. Nothing takes a Floridian’s credibility down a few notches in a roomful of Arizonans better than being chastised by a subordinate about local culture and actually reading the word vs. a quick scan and assumption about its pronunciation. :doh
:rofl, MU GEE ON rim. I've heard it pronounced MO GEE ON more often than not by native Arizonian's.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
:rofl, MU GEE ON rim. I've heard it pronounced MO GEE ON more often than not by native Arizonian's.
:laughing:laughing

I have a bad habit of reading faster than the brain registers. So, upon first moving to Phoenix, when I first saw that name, my brain registered Mongolian. I went with that for a whole year. Who knows how many times I mispronounced the damn thing before being “educated”. : censored :banghead

You have to admit, you guys have a language unique to the region. I should know better. I grew up in Arkansas where I knew how far over yonder was, how to get to the other side of a gully and if you weren’t careful with a wheelbarrow, you might tump it over. :dunno

·
Registered
54,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:laughing:laughing

I have a bad habit of reading faster than the brain registers. So, upon first moving to Phoenix, when I first saw that name, my brain registered Mongolian. I went with that for a whole year. Who knows how many times I mispronounced the damn thing before being “educated”. : censored :banghead

You have to admit, you guys have a language unique to the region. I should know better. I grew up in Arkansas where I knew how far over yonder was, how to get to the other side of a gully and if you weren’t careful with a wheelbarrow, you might tump it over. :dunno
A lot of names have native American origins here. The Mogollon were a prehistoric American Indian people inhabiting the mountains of eastern Arizona and western New Mexico. :thumsup

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
A lot of names have native American origins here. The Mogollon were a prehistoric American Indian people inhabiting the mountains of eastern Arizona and western New Mexico. :thumsup
:thumsup:thumsup

I’ve spent time, either living or extended temporary employment, all over the country.

Until recently. I’ve always owned a motorcycle. I’ve seen the US the best way possible, on two wheels, wind in my face. I know each part of the country’s common bug intimately. :rofl

Your posts have me seriously considering another scoot. We’re probably planted here in Texas for awhile now, no more moving. Might be a good time for another one. :drinks. I’ve always owned cruiser style bikes, Harley Glides for the most part. But, you seem to be really enjoying the style you’ve got. Got me thinkin’....

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
Brownie,

Great pics! I enjoy your travel updates, and hope one day to take similar (lengthy) rides out west and up North.

Random facts: The Mogollon Mountains were named after Juan Ignacio Flores Mogollon. He was the Spanish governor of parts of the Southwest in the early 1700's. "Mogollon" is these days informal or slang Spanish for "lots of something" or a big pile of stuff. The Indian tribe(s) then somehow assumed or adopted (or were given) the name of the mountains they inhabited.

·
Registered
54,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Did you notice any loss of power as elevation increased?
Geoff
Who has a turbocharger on his car, but no mountains in Florida.
Sorry for not getting back to you, missed the subsequent reply notifications.

No power loss, the electronics take care of all that through sensors and the throttle bodies. I know guys who've taken the GS's as high at 12-13K feet with no issues.

The Bavarian Alps sit between 7-9K feet. When we crossed over the great divide in Yukon territory, the elevation was just about 8K, didn't see anything above that on the AK. trip last summer. One of the other two has a bike like mine, the 3rd guy had an older BMW 1200RT, we just kept trucking.

One thing I did notice in Canada, their gas sucks for mileage. I dropped 4-5mpg on their gas and within a tank of US gas returning to the states, right back to 42-43 mpg. Even with the ugly gas, the bikes ran perfectly

·
Registered
54,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Brownie,

Great pics! I enjoy your travel updates, and hope one day to take similar (lengthy) rides out west and up North.

Random facts: The Mogollon Mountains were named after Juan Ignacio Flores Mogollon. He was the Spanish governor of parts of the Southwest in the early 1700's. "Mogollon" is these days informal or slang Spanish for "lots of something" or a big pile of stuff. The Indian tribe(s) then somehow assumed or adopted (or were given) the name of the mountains they inhabited.
:thumsup, I'm looking at another bike tomorrow [ a second bike ]. This is the model I'm looking at. It's 40#'s lighter, same motor as my GS, near 50 per gallon with a 4.5 gallon tank. This one would be used around town and for short mountain twistie rides.

https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/models/heritage/rninet.html

ETA, I didn't take a trip this summer like last year to Ak. saving for an adventure in 2020. Well, my brother and I are going to do a 9 day/7 riding day tour of Morocco, starting and ending in Marrakech, including one night sleeping in the Saharan desert with a bedoin tribe. One other highlight is a day in 1,200-year-old city called Fez. The Fez el-Bali (Old Fez) is the city’s gem. It is a UNESCO World Heritage site that will assault your senses with aromas and donkeys walking through its 9,500 alleyways.

Should be a trip of a lifetime. Total cost of plane ticket, bike rental [ a bmw f800 is our choice ] breakfast and dinner provided, motels etc is 5100.00. Moroccan Dirham to USD? Presently 10 Dirhams to our dollar. We plan to buy things at their famous bizarres and ship stuff home.

I'm also going to pick the Bedouin's brains for tip on hot weather clothing, and check out their old Mauser rifles they're using :thumsup

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
:thumsup, I'm looking at another bike tomorrow [ a second bike ]. This is the model I'm looking at. It's 40#'s lighter, same motor as my GS, near 50 per gallon with a 4.5 gallon tank. This one would be used around town and for short mountain twistie rides.

https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/models/heritage/rninet.html

ETA, I didn't take a trip this summer like last year to Ak. saving for an adventure in 2020. Well, my brother and I are going to do a 9 day/7 riding day tour of Morocco, starting and ending in Marrakech, including one night sleeping in the Saharan desert with a bedoin tribe. One other highlight is a day in 1,200-year-old city called Fez. The Fez el-Bali (Old Fez) is the city’s gem. It is a UNESCO World Heritage site that will assault your senses with aromas and donkeys walking through its 9,500 alleyways.

Should be a trip of a lifetime. Total cost of plane ticket, bike rental [ a bmw f800 is our choice ] breakfast and dinner provided, motels etc is 5100.00. Moroccan Dirham to USD? Presently 10 Dirhams to our dollar. We plan to buy things at their famous bizarres and ship stuff home.

I'm also going to pick the Bedouin's brains for tip on hot weather clothing, and check out their old Mauser rifles they're using :thumsup
The R Nine T is by all accounts a great bike. They come in different flavors, 'basic', scrambler, racer, etc.

That 2020 trip sounds awesome. Enjoy the rides sir. You've earned it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts