Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guarantee it's been mentioned before on here, but I think it's an interesting discussion. As far as I know, there's no late-night or 24-hour ranges in South Florida or even southern Central Florida.

Obviously now everything is a little different because of the rona but let's just hope that things calm down and businesses can operate normally in the future. Also for the sake of this post, ha ha.

Also yes, I'm well aware some people are lucky enough to have their own patch of land to shoot when they want on. :ROFLMAO:

Anyways, I understand the dynamics - it costs money to keep a range open. Staff, power, etc. I wouldn't stay open late if it didn't make financial sense to do so.

However I've read of membership/gun-club ranges where one gets a key and can help themselves to at least a small facility at whatever time they choose. The catch is that the fees are costly, etc.

However, I think a fair compromise would be late-night (say midnight) ranges? A lot of people work odd hours, or have crappy commutes, etc, and would enjoy going to the range at 9-10 PM, etc.

What details am I missing? Has anyone tried to do this?

Discuss!

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Think it is an issue of keeping it manned and running with an unknown level of demand. You would really have to know that range would be used every day for it to be cost effective.

For an indoor range the air handling equipment is pretty expensive to keep running for 8-10 hours a day, let alone 24.

As an example, the range/gun store I work part time in needs $1100-$1200/day in sales just to meet operating costs.

Another consideration is that depending on the location, noise ordinances may come into play.

Lastly, indoor ranges do require a fair amount of maintenance to remain safe. The backstops and target carriers need checks and repairs, the range has to be cleaned (usually In a hazmat suit due to lead levels) this eats up 1 hour per day on open days, and 4 hours on the day the range is closed.

Attached photo is the brass collected in the course of one month. Atlanta Arms picked it up when they dropped off a load of range ammo.

·
Registered
9,871 Posts
Cow Creek was talking about Thursday night shoots. Not sure where they are with that.

The Volusia Gun Club is open until 8 on M/W/Sa now. Once we get electric and lights, night shooting will become a regular thing.

-on Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts