Florida Concealed Carry banner

??

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  YARDDOG 
#1 ·
Can you CC in a DOG TRACK (GREYHOUND) JAX,CLAY or ST. JOHNS COUNTY?? TIA Y/D :thumsup

#2 ·
I dont believe you can carry at a dog track. I believe because you can gamble at the dog track, it may fall under a place of nuisance.

(12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05;

823.05 Places and groups engaged in criminal gang-related activity declared a nuisance; may be abated and enjoined.-- (1) Whoever shall erect, establish, continue, or maintain, own or lease any building, booth, tent or place which tends to annoy the community or injure the health of the community, or become manifestly injurious to the morals or manners of the people as described in s. 823.01, or any house or place of prostitution, assignation, lewdness or place or building where games of chance are engaged in violation of law or any place where any law of the state is violated, shall be deemed guilty of maintaining a nuisance, and the building, erection, place, tent or booth and the furniture, fixtures, and contents are declared a nuisance. All such places or persons shall be abated or enjoined as provided in ss. 60.05 and 60.06.

823.01 Nuisances; penalty.--All nuisances that tend to annoy the community, injure the health of the citizens in general, or corrupt the public morals are misdemeanors of the second degree,

#5 · (Edited)
I think fridaddy may be right.

To my point I realize it says something about gambling where it was illegal, but I was referring to where it says: which tends to annoy the community or injure the health of the community, or become manifestly injurious to the morals or manners of the people

I think some people believe that gambling is immoral.

#6 ·
Glock- Well, almost anything is considered immoral by some people, but I take your point.

Fridaddy- Thanks for that one. I knew that school athletic events were off limits, but I missed the part about professional athletic events. There sure are a lot of restrictions! :thumbsdwn

#7 ·
Glock- Well, almost anything is considered immoral by some people, but I take your point.

Amen brother. I think its crap but... who am I?

Of course I could be wrong but I may be right!

#13 · (Edited)
RCR is right, lawful businesses, regardless of one's personal distaste for them, do not meet the legal definition of places of nuisance. And considering dog racing a "professional sporting event" is a bit of a stretch...the 'athletes' at a dog track receive no monetary compensation, so by definition they are not "professionals". IMO (FWIW), the involvement of a human competitor who is paid to compete, such as a jockey or stock car driver, would be required to make it a 'professional' sporting event. At worst you'd probably be asked to disarm and/or leave.

#15 ·
Sports Betting is not legal in FL, brownie, except as stated above (Indian reservations).

It's considered parimutuel betting...which is weird because they have poker rooms there, too, which is definitely NOT parimutuel betting!

#18 ·
No problem, sir. I couldn't remember if they have the same kind of thing in AZ or not. It's a HUGE industry in FL. My wife's former employer (Navy MWR) used to have their Christmas parties at the local dog track (very nice restaurant there). I carried every time without fear of being jack-booted. :D

For the record, horse racing and jai-alai fall into the same category here. Not that I ever go, but I'd carry if I did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.