26,052 Posts
Cautiously optimistic. I
:couchpopcorn

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Cautiously optimistic. I
:couchpopcorn

Yeah.... I have to hope they, suddenly, don't get a "last minute" spike in votes right before the deadline, leaving us with very little time to react to and/or counter it. : censored I've seen that happen where one side doesn't report signatures as they're collected, in an effort to lull the opposite side to sleep. Then, at the last minute, the signatures get dumped in so that the opposite side doesn't have time to challenge them. : censored : censored

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
"assault weapons" The definition is totally wrong! There must be a full-auto lever mounted, to make a semi-auto rifle into an assault weapon! Period.
Hey hey hey...don’t go confusing the issue with facts!

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I have updated the OP for November. To save you some scrolling here's the new update:

As of 2019-11-01:
Gathered 115,052 (up 3,885) of 766,200 required for ballot placement (requirement not met, 651,148 still needed)
Distribution threshold met in 0 of 14 districts required for ballot placement (requirement not met, 14 still needed)

Days remaining to signature deadline (2/1/2020): 92

Synopsis: It seems almost pointless that BAWN has submitted any signatures in the last month since they have only submitted 3,885. If they are going to make a serious effort to get this on the ballot next year they need to be turning in around 200,000+ a month now, not a few thousand. This month's total is less than the prior, and I would not be surprised if next month's total is zero. At this point they are wasting their time and money to continue to attempt to gather signatures (in my opinion). Maybe they are hoping for another mass shooting in Florida to put some wind in their sails. I don't know.

I'm going to stick with my call from last month when I said there's no way in hell they are going to make the ballot, barring some tragedy they can capitalize upon between now and 2/1.

·
Super Moderator
26,052 Posts
Thanks for the update, Brian! :2thumsup

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Maybe they are hoping for another mass shooting in Florida to put some wind in their sails. I don't know.

I'm going to stick with my call from last month when I said there's no way in hell they are going to make the ballot, barring some tragedy they can capitalize upon between now and 2/1.
Hoping? Or PLANNING? :dunno

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I have updated the OP for the numbers through November. Here is the new text I added:

As of 2019-12-04: (updated a few days late as I've been sick)
Gathered 123,831 (up 8,779) of 766,200 required for ballot placement (requirement not met, 642,369 still needed)
Distribution threshold met in 0 of 14 districts required for ballot placement (requirement not met, 14 still needed)

Days remaining to signature deadline (2/1/2020): 59

Synopsis: This seems dead. I don't know why they even bother continuing to turn in signatures.

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
Thanks for the update Brian. It seems they abandoned this effort quite some time ago. Could they have something else up their sleeve?

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Thanks for the update Brian. It seems they abandoned this effort quite some time ago. Could they have something else up their sleeve?
Well, they sure have plenty of complicit RINOs in the Florida legislature to help them pursue their evil schemes legislatively. But unless they have hundreds of thousands of un-submitted signatures stashed away in boxes and are willing to pay the penalties for submitting them late (must be submitted within 30 days of signing) their dream of using the Florida Constitution this go around seems to be dead.

It will be 2 more years (2022) before they can try again. Hopefully by then SCOTUS will have made it clear that the AR15 and other similarly situated firearms are exactly the type of arms that are protected by the 2nd amendment. But I'm not going to hold my breath.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
What I find the most insane is that the marlin model 60 .22 cal. has been put on the banned list, I carried and hunted with from 12 years old on.No one would try to hunt anything bigger than a rabbit with it. What gives!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
What I find the most insane is that the marlin model 60 .22 cal. has been put on the banned list, I carried and hunted with from 12 years old on.No one would try to hunt anything bigger than a rabbit with it. What gives!
What gives is that their ultimate goal is to ban ALL firearms. So they’ll tack on as many as possible in every legislative proposal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
What gives is that their ultimate goal is to ban ALL firearms. So they’ll tack on as many as possible in every legislative proposal.
To be surprised that any seemingly benign gun is put on the ban list is to buy into the statists' implication that some guns are "badder" than others. It's to agree with the concept of an "assault weapon." Of course, there's no such thing.

My interpretation of "I can't believe they banned (insert 'harmless' gun here)" is to imply that some guns SHOULD be on the list. Or, that some guns would be acceptable to be on a ban list.

No gun is benign. They're all the same. They all do EXACTLY the same thing. To me, firearms are not subject to gradation in terms of "lethality." Lethality is binary. There should be no list.

And, of course... their goal is to ban ALL firearms. Even if it means doing it one at a time.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
I have always been a not one more inch, rule or law when it comes to gun control. I thought if they wanted to be taken seriously leave the lowly 22 alone.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
I have always been a not one more inch, rule or law when it comes to gun control. I thought if they wanted to be taken seriously leave the lowly 22 alone.
They ARE being taken seriously... If nothing else, that their ban is seemingly random and without reason (such as banning 22s)... should be considered proof-positive that their agenda is to ban ALL guns.

Our position should be (mine IS) that NO guns should be banned.

Big guns. Small guns. Quiet guns. Loud guns. Fully-automatic machine guns. Single-shot guns. Long guns. Short guns. Skinny guns. Fat guns. Black guns. Pink guns. Ugly guns. Pretty guns.

NONE of them should be banned. That is my position, and it should be the position of ALL Freedom-loving Patriots.

If we agree to ban any one type of gun, we are tacitly agreeing that guns are inherently "bad" and citizens cannot be trusted.

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I have updated the OP for the numbers through December. Here is the new text I added:

As of 2020-01-01:
Gathered 130,232 (up 6,401) of 766,200 required for ballot placement (requirement not met, 635,968 still needed)

Days remaining to signature deadline (2/1/2020): 31

Synopsis: To me it seems statistically impossible for them to reach the threshold in time. I'll be happy in 31 days when we can put a nail in the coffin of this terribly misguided effort.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
I have updated the OP for the numbers through December. Here is the new text I added:

As of 2020-01-01:
Gathered 130,232 (up 6,401) of 766,200 required for ballot placement (requirement not met, 635,968 still needed)

Days remaining to signature deadline (2/1/2020): 31

Synopsis: To me it seems statistically impossible for them to reach the threshold in time. I'll be happy in 31 days when we can put a nail in the coffin of this terribly misguided effort.
Interesting that they can't get even close to the needed signatures. Sadly, I would have predicted it to be an easy task. Guess not!

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Interesting that they can't get even close to the needed signatures. Sadly, I would have predicted it to be an easy task. Guess not!
The number of signatures required is based upon the number of people who voted in the last presidential election. The 2016 election had a rather high turnout which raised the number of signatures required.

At the moment it looks like these 3 may be the only ones that make the ballot. Each has the requisite number of signatures but all are still waiting on one or more administrative milestone to clear:

1 Citizenship Requirement to Vote in Florida Elections
2 Raising Florida’s Minimum Wage
3 All Voters Vote in Primary Elections for State Legislature, Governor, and Cabinet

These two are close but I don't think they'll make it:

622,953 out of 766,200 Right to Competitive Energy Market for Customers of Investor-Owned Utilities; Allowing Energy Choice
519,138 out of 766,200 Voter Approval of Constitutional Amendments

In any event the BAWN folks weren't even in the ballpark. How much of a deterrent effect the legislature's rule change made I cannot say. Obviously some other ballot initiatives were able to get out there and get the signatures. I don't think BAWN would have succeeded even if the legislature hadn't tossed them a couple roadblocks, but better safe than sorry.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts