Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2011 from an old man who was terminally ill last year. I probably paid too much but he needed the money. When I got home and disassembled it I found it it had significant metal galling. It’s a hard chrome STI model. I sent it back to STI and they told me there was nothing they could do. Their head gunsmith was very kind and suggested I contact Doug Jones of Accu rail.

I talked to Doug and he seemed to think it was not a problem. I will post some pictures later but what he basically does is machine the frame and install these little stainless rails that the slide rides on. He does a lot of competition guns and STI’s of course. The fit was amazing and he even adjusted the trigger for me and replaced the thumb safety.

The pistol was really dirty and I picked up an ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor freight. I added my solution of choice, heated it and set the timer. I was amazed at how clean the parts came out. Even carbon deposits and fouling in the barrel wiped out with a cloth. For anyone that cleans a lot of guns, that Ultrasonic cleaner is the cats meow.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
You had me at STI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
27,122 Posts
Standing by for pics. :unsure:

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got back. Daughter graduated from UF Law and we stood in rain at stadium and shot pics!

Here’s a pile of parts that was a pistol earlier
20DCC8A4-8E5E-4BB8-A067-22558465494F.jpeg
20DCC8A4-8E5E-4BB8-A067-22558465494F.jpeg

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next shots you can see the accurails installed, the slide is really tight, trigger 3 pounds on the scale.
34E07676-BBF7-4A79-BC0D-E7D3A369FD32.jpeg
31FEEFB6-217C-4288-9587-DE8D0EDE7054.jpeg
34E07676-BBF7-4A79-BC0D-E7D3A369FD32.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
27,122 Posts
Decent looking unit. (y)

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
I use my ultrasonic cleaner all the time.

My cleaning solutions for ultrasonic cleaners are:

Gun parts with no aluminum: water, dawn dish detergent, and simple green

Gun parts with aluminum: water and dawn detergent

Stripping blue off of guns: water, dawn detergent, 1 tablespoon of Lemi-shine.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Nice pistol Sir. You can really see the damage on that on pic, wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AFJ

Good info on the solution. It’s got to be a lot cheaper than what I used. I used, per the recommendations of the guy I spoke with, three parts water to one part frog lube solvent. It just destroyed every speck of carbon and gook.

The interesting thing about the 2011 if you look at the first picture, the frame is unlike anything I’ve ever seen on a 1911. The grip part is all plastic and all separate. It screws together in front of the trigger guard and then attaches with two screws at the top of the grip. The bottom screws on the grip appear to be purely ornamental and are threaded into plastic.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
I have been thinking about getting an ultrasonic cleaner, I guess it's time to get off the fence. That's a nice looking STI.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
How much dawn and simply green do you use for that size tank the HF 2.5L one thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
I used it for the first time and removed some carbon that had evaded me when I discovered it last time I got back from the range it was in my Colt CRX16 inside the bolt carrier . So it looks like it will be useful and helpful.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts