Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
B48DD759-3F32-41ED-BE7F-4F3C87952EBA.jpeg
Our great member Rick just sadly reminded us of his dad‘s passing. He was a lucky boy to have had dad in his life for so long.

I thought it would be interesting to start a thread regarding things of our fathers and reminders of them

I’m about as nostalgic as it gets and I have many things that remind me of my long gone mother and father. My prize possession is the “Dadmobile“ I don’t drive it enough but, when I do I can almost feel him sitting next to me. He was a house painter and I couldn’t find his original 54 but re-created it with all original drivetrain. May I present the “Dadmobile”

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Nice vehicles Sir! Got a couple guns and an education on being a man! Still have both and use them constantly! Thanks dad!

·
Registered
20,354 Posts
a lifetime of great experiences and a fishing knife dad bought for me when i was just a pup...we were on a failed day of fishing that will stand out as one of the best days i ever spent with my dad...while we were in a bait shop this knife caught my eye and he bought it for me...we didnt have much money so it was a very rare treat...it has gone on every fishing trip ive been on since then and occupies a special place in my tackle bag...one of my non-shooting brothers managed to grab guns and sell them off (no ****)...but i have a head full of memories walking fields and ridges all over nys with dad and my uncles hunting partridge, pheasant, rabbit and deer...also still have the buck folder he gave me when i got my first hunting license..

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very cool story. My Dad and I fished together, he never failed to cut himself every time we cleaned a catch.

I ran a charter boat on the side for years, Dad’s ashes stayed under the stateroom bunk till Mom passed at his request so I could take them to sea together.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Nice vehicles Sir! Got a couple guns and an education on being a man! Still have both and use them constantly! Thanks dad!
Forget the vehicles.... Nice garage !!! :)
(I should have listened to mother and become an attorney!)

But yeah, nice "Dadmobile".

·
Super Moderator
27,084 Posts
Forget the vehicles.... Nice garage !!! :)
(I should have listened to mother and become an attorney!)

But yeah, nice "Dadmobile".
Was thinking the same thing. Nice garage and wonderful stories above about Dadmobile, treasured knives, etc. Great thread Shark!

Wish I could relate. Have a decent relationship with my dad now and I'm not sure how much longer he'll be around, but when I was a kid, let's just say I learned everything I need to know about how to be a father by NOT emulating my dad!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had some of that too, Dads teach us by example. Bad example and good example. When he died, the memories of bad examples faded somewhat.

I’ve seen lots of folks motivated by living up to mom and dad’s example. Equally motivational is the “ I won’t make the mistakes they made” Both result in a better parent and a better upbringing for kids, the latter is just a harder life lesson.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Dad passed a few years back & left me his prize 1st. Gen. Dodge W250. This is an ‘89, 1st. yr. they put the Cummins in them. Him & mom got T boned by a young girl ( who didn’t make it ) & rolled his other Dodge 4x4 & totaled it. This was the only one they had at the dealership. Dad wanted a crew cab like the other was, but they didn’t make one yet in this truck, so he had to settle for it with the standard cab. She’s all original except the exhaust, turbo & cross over / boost tube. I put about 8G into redoing it from the tires up, still has the original paint & I use it to pull a cargo trailer full of tools almost every day now. Dad would be proud she’s still working, that’s what he bought it for. We didn’t get along when we were younger & I was out at 15, after I hit about 30 he saw I was for real & we started having a relationship that grew throughout the years & when he passed I missed him very much. If you can patch things up before it’s too late, you may enjoy it

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man, that is a beautiful truck. I had an 89 with the Cummins diesel many years back but it didn’t look 10% as clean as your Dadmobile.

When I started law school I sold a 25 foot center console robalo. I knew I would blow the money a little bit at a time so I bought a 1980 Mercedes diesel and I’ve had one around ever since. I stupidly told my father that diesel was going to be the thing of the future. I talked him into buying a 1982 Oldsmobile with the converted gas engine/diesel.

The diesel Oldsmobile was the worst piece of crap anyone in my family ever owned. It rattled and smoked like a locomotive and parts just almost fell off. It was so worthless when he finally dumped it NADA had a 50% reduction to the retail price because of the diesel.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Dad passed a few years back & left me his prize 1st. Gen. Dodge W250. This is an ‘89, 1st. yr. they put the Cummins in them. Him & mom got T boned by a young girl ( who didn’t make it ) & rolled his other Dodge 4x4 & totaled it. This was the only one they had at the dealership. Dad wanted a crew cab like the other was, but they didn’t make one yet in this truck, so he had to settle for it with the standard cab. She’s all original except the exhaust, turbo & cross over / boost tube. I put about 8G into redoing it from the tires up, still has the original paint & I use it to pull a cargo trailer full of tools almost every day now. Dad would be proud she’s still working, that’s what he bought it for. We didn’t get along when we were younger & I was out at 15, after I hit about 30 he saw I was for real & we started having a relationship that grew throughout the years & when he passed I missed him very much. If you can patch things up before it’s too late, you may enjoy it View attachment 69059
Back when a truck was still a truck and not these sissy luxury vehicles they are now days. Beautiful truck.

I unfortunately had a crappy sperm donor for a father. He lived his life in such misery and he died in misery. I told myself I wouldn't let that be my legacy with my children. So I'm starting all the good memories with my kiddos and working on great things to pass down. I've got two daughters and a son. I love being a dad!

·
Super Moderator
27,084 Posts
^^^^
I hear you, brother and although I'd almost completed my 40th trip around the Sun when the first was born and had just completed the 45th trip when third and last was born. For the first, I was absolutely terrified of being a dad because of my childhood and didn't think I'd be a good father. After that first one was born, I was hooked and determined to be the best father I could be. Sometimes a bad parenting model can teach one how to be a much better one! :unsure:

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BeerHunter
I can tell from the thoughtfulness of your posts that you are a good father. You manage to keep all of us in line and that’s quite an accomplishment.

Sadly, sometimes it doesn’t work out well. My wife’s former husband was a wife beater and a coward. Unfortunately, His son seems to be following in his footsteps and is not hesitant to curse at or threaten/insult his mother. He’s about 26 now and maybe he’ll grow out of it but, for the time being we’ve basically had to just write him off.

My dad was far from perfect. He was an alcoholic and he and mother had frequent screaming matches. When they were not arguing and things were happy, he would always get her door and behave as a perfect gentleman. Ironically, he always told me that I should respect women, treat them special and never raise a hand to a lady. Fortunately I listened to what he said despite what he did.

·
Registered
6,138 Posts
Early 50s Chevys/GMC are my favorite trucks. Always wanted one, still do.

The only things I have from my father are the memories, his wedding ring, his (broken) Timex automatic watch he wore forever, and most sentimental is a little toy “pull back” car that he gave me and I gave it back when I “grew up”. When I was cleaning out his workbench I found it and couldn’t believe he kept it all these years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,138 Posts
Cool story, Caleb. When Mom died, I was cleaning out her stuff and found in her dresser her Army dog tags on the chain with mine. I had to sit down.
Thank you. Your mom story will shed a tear in any mans eye.

Here is that toy I speak of. It’s not worth a cent but it’s priceless to me. I put it next to the pen to show it’s size (or lack there of). You can see the paint is mostly gone and the rubber tires are dry rotted and wasting away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Super Moderator
27,084 Posts
Shark, Caleb is spot on that story of your mom and your dog tags would make any son have to sit down. Very touching story, Sir! 😢

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
Back when a truck was still a truck and not these sissy luxury vehicles they are now days. Beautiful truck.

I unfortunately had a crappy sperm donor for a father. He lived his life in such misery and he died in misery. I told myself I wouldn't let that be my legacy with my children. So I'm starting all the good memories with my kiddos and working on great things to pass down. I've got two daughters and a son. I love being a dad!
Hey; I love my “sissy luxury vehicle!” It’s a 2020 Dodge Laramie “SLV.” :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
777 Posts
Hey; I love my “sissy luxury vehicle!” It’s a 2020 Dodge Laramie “SLV.” :ROFLMAO:
I have a 2018 GMC Sierra. But I went out of my way to find a work truck package/model. No carpet and vinyl floors, Has Bluetooth and backup camera. That's the extent of the luxury features on this truck. It even has a manual transfer case! I love not having a push button 4wd. Moving the lever and feeling it go into 4wd is such a satisfying feeling.

I use a truck as a truck and go out in the woods and hunting with it often. People cringed when I took it out in the woods when it was new. I simply told them I bought a truck to use it as one and not be a sissy street truck that never saw a dirt road.

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
I have a 2018 GMC Sierra. But I went out of my way to find a work truck package/model. No carpet and vinyl floors, Has Bluetooth and backup camera. That's the extent of the luxury features on this truck. It even has a manual transfer case! I love not having a push button 4wd. Moving the lever and feeling it go into 4wd is such a satisfying feeling.

I use a truck as a truck and go out in the woods and hunting with it often. People cringed when I took it out in the woods when it was new. I simply told them I bought a truck to use it as one and not be a sissy street truck that never saw a dirt road.
Yeah, I've always used my trucks to drive on the farm, in the woods, haul my boats, dogs, and pull a trailer hauling stuff to the dump.

That said; I don’t see anything wrong doing it with nice wheels, leather seats, a killer stereo, and all the latest electronic amenities. With 395 HP and 410 foot pounds of torque (same as my last two Rams); it’ll haul ass or a load...

·
Registered
93 Posts
This thread has me thinking about my own father, who passed away last year. One of the things that reminds me of him is something I don’t have and haven’t seen for years - my father’s Browning FN-35/High Power. He sold it shortly before my parents divorced. His High Power was his WWII “bring back,” picked up in the Ardennes. It was made in Belgium and had been a weapon issued to a German soldier. My father was a US Army Medic in WWII, and like his colleagues, was forbidden from carrying a weapon. During what is known today as the Battle of the Bulge, he was fired on while trying to reach wounded GI’s. The Waffen SS units assigned to this battle zone had little regard for the Geneva Convention, and regularly fired at medics. The wounded often froze to death because of this situation. He and his fellow medics took weapons from dead bodies to defend themselves. At some point, my father found a High Power on the corpse of a dead German, and was able to conceal it in the bulky jacket he wore. He brought it home, and it was a prized possession for many years. It took the US a while to arm medics. It was allowed in the Pacific, and was essential in Vietnam.

I owe my interest in guns to my father... Shortly before he passed away, I was sitting by his bedside at night. It got late, and my father noticed it was dark out. Before I left, he asked me if I was carrying - he wanted to make sure I could protect myself.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts