Florida Concealed Carry banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
You may be one of the least unenlightened that I know.
Roger , I noticed after reading your statement , you used the words 'May Be'. When the Road of Life Bifurcates , and in Everyone's Life It Will , Then and Only Then Shall We Know Who Chooses the Correct fork to Stay 'Enlightened'.

I Know that my words above 'Will Not' go over Your Head ..Brilliance comes into play when a person Learns from 'Real Life Lessons' . Hopefully by then 'Enlightenment' will then Prevail . ;)(y)
BTW , Thanks for all of your advice and your help also.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Shark1007, the new S&W 1911 is beautiful. They make some very attractive 1911s. I hope it proves to be a good shooter. I have say that the worst 1911 I ever owned was a SW1911 Pro Series 9mm. It was supposed have been a Performance Center gun.

When I first got it - new - it seemed to be a great gun. I bought it about 13 years ago, and it was a new model at the time. When I first cleaned it, though, I saw a lot of what seemed to be aggressive filing around the barrel lugs and at the slide lugs. I didn't think that much about it; I thought that S&W must know what they're doing, maybe a sign of good workmanship. After a number of shooting sessions, I noticed a marked decline in accuracy - my shots were in something like a spray pattern. I put it on a pistol rest that my club had, and it was much the same. I took it apart, and the lugs at the barrel and slide looked quite worn. I looked at some 1911 handbooks, and I realized that the lugs looked like a pistol that worn enough to need a new barrel and a new slide.

I sent it back to S&W, and they actually purchased it back from me. They told me that they wouldn't be making a new production run of my gun for at least several months, so they asked me for my sales slip and set me a refund. So, they did stand in back of what they sold, but I got a lemon. The same year, when on a 1911 forum, I saw that another owner of the same gun had a similar problem, with very aggressive filing. They must have had someone inexperienced on the assembly line...... I haven't heard of anything like this recently, so your SW1911 is probably as good as it looks.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
Shark1007, the new S&W 1911 is beautiful. They make some very attractive 1911s. I hope it proves to be a good shooter. I have say that the worst 1911 I ever owned was a SW1911 Pro Series 9mm. It was supposed have been a Performance Center gun. When I first got it - new - it seemed to be a great gun. I bought it about 13 years ago, and it was a new model at the time. When I first cleaned it, though, I saw a lot of what seemed to be aggressive filing around the barrel lugs and at the slide lugs. I didn't think that much about it; I thought that S&W must know what they're doing, maybe a sign of good workmanship. After a number of shooting sessions, I noticed a marked decline in accuracy - my shots were in something like a spray pattern. I put it on a pistol rest that my club had, and it was much the same. I took it apart, and the lugs at the barrel and slide looked quite worn. I looked at some 1911 handbooks, and I realized that the lugs looked like a pistol that worn enough to need a new barrel and a new slide. I sent it back to S&W, and they actually purchased it back from me. They told me that they wouldn't be making a new production run of my gun for at least several months, so they asked me for my sales slip and set me a refund. So, they did stand in back of what they sold, but I got a lemon. The same year, when on a 1911 forum, I saw that another owner of the same gun had a similar problem, with very aggressive filing. They must have had someone inexperienced on the assembly line...... I haven't heard of anything like this recently, so your SW1911 is probably as good as it looks.
Hi there .. I had a very similar problem years ago when i purchased an AMT long slide Hardballer .. Upon first cleaning , actual tiny grit like pieces of stainless steel would be evident .. I was so disappointed !

You are not alone with factory defects .. I cannot even remember what i ever did with that handgun . I do know one thing , I would never purchase that make again .

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I hope it turns out well. The scandium frame is super light, I don’t see any real machine marks anywhere and everything is a very tight fit. There’s no play at all in the slide to frame fit and, of course the bushing does it’s job. It is as tight as a $3000 pistol.The only little thing I found was the leading edge of the thumb safety where it contacts the thumb safety plunger needs a file stroke or two. The safety is extremely hard to push up with your thumb. It’s fine to disengage but the engagement is pretty difficult. Those kind of issues can be taken care of either with a stroke of a file, sandpaper or in some cases taking one coil off the plunger tube spring.

Ultimately the safety issue is not a big deal because I am replacing the ambi safety with a Wilson combat piece. I also ordered a set of VZ grips and a set of Wilson combat u-notch/ tritium sights. When I fit the Wilson combat piece everything should be cool.

I will be interested to shoot this one next to my Dan Wesson ECP. The Wesson comes with thin grips stock and the brass dot front sight. The Dan Wesson and the list price for the Smith and Wesson are about the same. I bought the Smith at a good price so, when I am done, the investment will be about the same for each. Time will tell but my gut tells me the Dan Wesson is more of a quality product at this point. The Wesson needs a new night sight in front in my opinion.

To give you an idea about the customer service of Smith and Wesson, I called them and advised that I bought this as a new/old stock. I needed to verify that the sites were Novák cut. I mentioned the safety issue and the lady asked if I wanted a shipping label to send it back to them. The pistol was manufactured in 2013.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Roger:
I take a round needle file to the front of the TS on about every 1911 that I get; including the EDC X9. After shooting it in Rick’s last Okeechobee class, there was no doubt in my mind that it had to be lightened. The side of my thumb was nice and purple 30 minutes into the class.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Rick

When we shook hands goodbye, I thought your thumb looked a little odd.

I’m just not a big fan of the ambi safety. The greatest thing about the Wilson combat parts other than their general superiority is that if you register on their website as retired military or law-enforcement, when you login you get an automatic 20% discount. It makes them really competitive with the cheaper stuff.

The thumb safety on the staccato I shot at the Okeechobee class was perfect. I had two apparent light strikes or failure to ignite on the first hit, I think it was ammo related but I put the staccato on the back burner until I straighten out that potential issue.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Rick

When we shook hands goodbye, I thought your thumb looked a little odd.

I’m just not a big fan of the ambi safety. The greatest thing about the Wilson combat parts other than their general superiority is that if you register on their website as retired military or law-enforcement, when you login you get an automatic 20% discount. It makes them really competitive with the cheaper stuff.

The thumb safety on the staccato I shot at the Okeechobee class was perfect. I had two apparent light strikes or failure to ignite on the first hit, I think it was ammo related but I put the staccato on the back burner until I straighten out that potential issue.
Roger; That gun doesn’t have an ambi. I won’t carry a pistol with an ambi.

I do use Wilson parts, along with Harrison Design, Cylinder and Slide, EGW, Apex Tactical, and Wolff (for springs). I used to use some Colt parts on occasion; until they quit selling parts.

These have been my go-to sources for parts for as long as I’ve been tinkering around with handguns in general, and the 1911 in particular.

Edit: Of course I’ll use Brownell’s and Midway, but they generally don’t make parts, they pretty much sell parts made by others.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
You know what they say abut the 2 % errs . They did not mention anything about percentages when i regurgitated their data .. Maybe 'prejudiced'In retrospect , as that is where we had a **** load of them . I would guess that the Marine Corps more than likely had the Most issued to their men IMHO :cool:(y)
* UPDATE on my Post # 32 .. Correction : After looking deeper into the 1911 .45 ACP disbursement , ** The ARMY Had the Overload of Too Many in the Anniston Army Arsenal . Then they Transferred many of them to the CMP ..** "They had so many , they never had to get any more" .

These are for sale through the CMP . Prices vary to year and condition . Many later ones were Arsenal refurbished & newly applied Military Grey Phosphate Finishes . Many LEO's Have had first dibs it was written , and some Military personnel also ..

* [ 10 ] years ago , I phosphated* my L.E. Spanish Destroyer Carbine in 9X23 Largo . I Hot tanked it and it had terrible toxic fumes. I had to wear my Pro charcoal filtered mask . The metal turned out great , looks new.

Same as with the M1 Garands being sent to the CMP, and Still available for sale through the CMP with very strict rules .. M1 Carbines were sold in As Is condition to members of the NRA & very very cheap ..

Google Has 'Stars And Stripes' History of the Browning Original 1911 .45 Acp Handguns .. Great Pictures of their storage boxes at the 'Anniston Army Arsenal' , located on [ 25 ] square miles , N.E. Alabama

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
TOO MANY 1911’s ?? Sacrilege!
YEP , Thats the way it rolled , Unfortunately !.. It was Actually Obama who started things in motion , to start selling these treasures of the past . These were stored in Temperature controlled conditions at the 'Anniston Army Arsenal' . 2020 prices $850. / $1050 & On Up , Upon year and condition .

One estimate was $100,000 , just to prepare them for sale . They were made safe , by adding replacement parts , some of the very worn ones had non browning parts to correct them . These of course would be of lesser value than others. Each year more would be released to the CMP ( Civilian Marksmanship Programs ) .They spit from the Government in 1996.

P.S. - I worked with a Foreman who had a '1923' one !

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Air gun Trigger Wood Everyday carry Gun barrel
Well, she’s ready for range test. New Big Dot sights and Wilson combat single side safety make her suitable to carry. The VZ grips need a little sandpaper. They are rough enough to grind your heel callous down.
Finger Bumper Gadget Cable Watch accessory

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Nice!

I can’t shoot those sights to save my life. Tried them on two different guns and they came right off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
I’m going to have a little blue LEDs inlaid into the slide cuts and a little speaker that says “ you have the right to become silent”

I’ve regretted not buying every 1911 I have ever looked at and not purchased, both of them.
Some years ago I purchased an .45 acp AMT Hardballer long slide s/s . I had it about a few months & just by slide actuation , tiny pieces of s/s metal started to chip off .. The was the end of that gun ! I should have sent it back :unsure::rolleyes:

41 - 56 of 56 Posts