Florida Concealed Carry banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
Is it possible to load a pistol with let say 15 rounds, rack the slide to put one in the chamber, then take out the magazine and put an extra round in the magazine making it 16? Is it safe?
Yes. That's the meaning of "15+1." A 15 round mag is loaded to capacity. Insert into gun. Rack round into chamber. Remove mag, which is now down to 14 rounds. Top it off with another round. Reinsert into gun. Gun is loaded with a total of 16 rounds. Perfectly "safe" as long as you abide by the "Four Rules" of gun safety. :)

·
Registered
7,869 Posts
Is it possible to load a pistol with let say 15 rounds, rack the slide to put one in the chamber, then take out the magazine and put an extra round in the magazine making it 16? Is it safe?
Seriously? There are still only 15 rounds in the mag.

Did you used to ride the short bus? :rofl

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Very safe and the way I'd say 99% of folks carry!

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
It sounds like I’m in the minority, but I load the chamber with the +1 but don’t go back to top-off the mag. I also carry an extra mag.

·
Super Moderator
26,331 Posts
Yes, see Col. Jeff Cooper's handgun "conditions" (technically only apply to the 1911 style SAO semi-auto pistol). Regardless of whether SAO, DAO, SA/DA, or striker-fired semi-auto, with proper training and practice, the recommended way to load and carry a semi-auto for self-defense is with one in the chamber and a full magazine. Otherwise having to rack the slide to chamber a round when the SHTF may take you the rest of your life!

Please seek training from a competent trainer on defensive handgun use. :pistols

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
It sounds like I’m in the minority, but I load the chamber with the +1 but don’t go back to top-off the mag. I also carry an extra mag.
So, that's not +1. That's just the normal capacity with a round chambered. :)

Nothing wrong with that, but it's not "+1."

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
Okay, that makes sense the way you put it.
At least you're carrying chambered. That's the key. The only advantage of "+1" is that it's.... capacity +1.

If you're carrying a spare mag, that's even better than +1. That's "x 2." Times two! I just made that up! :grin

·
Super Moderator
26,331 Posts
At least you're carrying chambered. That's the key. The only advantage of "+1" is that it's.... capacity +1.

If you're carrying a spare mag, that's even better than +1. That's "x 2." Times two! I just made that up! :grin
Agree! :thumsup

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Are y'all going to turn +1 in to algebraic equations? :popcorn

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Y + 2X + 1

Y=rounds in mag

·
Registered
54,302 Posts
How many of y’all actually carry that + 1?

Personally I just load the mag, rack the slide and carry on.

I guess you’d have to load the mag, chamber a round, remove the mag to add an additional round then reinsert? Sounds like a lot of work. In the other hand, about the only time I ever unload my carry gun is at the range to remove SD rounds and replace with target rounds, so probably not that intrusive after all... hmm...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Believe me, it's a hell of a lot of work. That extra 5 seconds has taken it's toll on me over the last 50 years. Look up the term load thumb, it's a malady that can affect you for the rest of your life. :rofl

·
Registered
7,869 Posts
21 - 40 of 40 Posts