Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
When manufacturers say their magazines have capacity of 17+1 rounds what does that really mean?
I think I am confused. I have never seen a manufacturer say that a magazine has a capacity of 17+1.

If a manufacturer says a gun has a capacity of 17+1 they would most likely be talking about a 17 round magazine plus one round in the chamber.

I have seen magazines that come with an optional floor plate that provides a place for your finger, and extends below the grip. Some of these extended grips allow for an additional round(s) in the magazine.

Do you have a specific gun that you are asking about?

·
Super Moderator
26,350 Posts
Magazines don't have an "X+1" capacity, but a GUN advertised as having an "X+1" capacity means the magazine has a capacity of X and the "+1" is the round in the chamber when carried that way.

·
Registered
176 Posts
How many of y’all actually carry that + 1?

Personally I just load the mag, rack the slide and carry on.

I guess you’d have to load the mag, chamber a round, remove the mag to add an additional round then reinsert? Sounds like a lot of work. In the other hand, about the only time I ever unload my carry gun is at the range to remove SD rounds and replace with target rounds, so probably not that intrusive after all... hmm...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
+1 for me, because you just never know. Like an umbrella, rather have it, and not need it.
I certainly understand your point.

I’m looking at upgrading my carry gun in the next few months. Right now I’m carrying a double stack subcompact with a 12 round mag but have my eyes on one of the compact 1911’s like the Kimber Micro 9 or the Ultra Carry II. I guess with 12 rounds I haven’t thought much of it but with half that capacity it would certainly be more of an issue.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Almost always carry +1. Every now and then when I’m feeling lazy, and switching out to my G19, I just carry 15.

·
Registered
10,746 Posts

I guess you’d have to load the mag, chamber a round, remove the mag to add an additional round then reinsert? Sounds like a lot of work. In the other hand, about the only time I ever unload my carry gun is at the range to remove SD rounds and replace with target rounds, so probably not that intrusive after all... hmm...

100% of the time.

The two loudest sounds a gun can make is a "bang" when you expected a "click"... and a "click" when you expected a "bang." If the SHTF, I don't want the latter to happen.

To answer your 2nd question... Yes... fill the mag. Rack one. Drop the mag and top it off then re-insert. It's not a "lot of work" because I only have to do it very seldomly. Basically, only when I UNload the gun for range time or for cleaning. Otherwise, the mag and chambered round are undisturbed... usually for months at a time.

I also always fill my car's tank to full capacity when fueling. Why would I only fill it 3/4 or even 7/8? :)

I also often carry a spare mag.

"The only time you can have too much ammo is when you're swimming or on fire." :grin

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I go with +1 also.
It's a little bit of a hassle, but how often do you really need to do it?

Disclaimer: When I got my first Glock, I carried (IWB) without the +1 until I felt more comfortable (as the Glock does not have an external traditional safety).
In retrospect, it was probably a bit silly to go that route, but I can always claim my peace-of-mind was worth it. :)

·
Super Moderator
26,350 Posts

100% of the time! Is this a trick question? :grin

·
Registered
176 Posts
100% of the time! Is this a trick question? :grin
Nope! Something I hadn’t thought of, being new to the game. Figured my 12 rounds + spare mag would be sufficient for just about anything I need to handle. I’ve rethought that though and have already topped off my mag!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Would never consider not doing it. If I need my gun, I want every round I can possible get. The last one may be the one that saves your life.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I go with +1 also.
It's a little bit of a hassle, but how often do you really need to do it?

Disclaimer: When I got my first Glock, I carried (IWB) without the +1 until I felt more comfortable (as the Glock does not have an external traditional safety).
In retrospect, it was probably a bit silly to go that route, but I can always claim my peace-of-mind was worth it. :)
Just to clarify by +1 I’m not talking about carrying chambered, I’m talking about topping off the mag after chambering the first round. I do carry one in the barrel. Maybe I used the wrong terminology.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Always +1 and 2 spare mags, be prepared. The world is getting crazier every day and don't get me started on if Bernie ever gets elected.
I have a 31-round Glock magazine if Bernie gets elected.
It looks ridiculous hanging out of the bottom of a Glock-26 (9mm). :)

It was something I purchased on a whim, and shot it maybe once.

As for the spare magazine thing, I generally keep one in the Jeep (to fit the Glock-19 & -26).
Now whether I could ever get to it if it were truly needed...?

And as previously mentioned, the +1 in the barrel.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
Always +1 and 2 spare mags, be prepared. The world is getting crazier every day and don't get me started on if Bernie ever gets elected.
I always carry two reloads. If the weight difference between none, or one, or two is a problem for you; work out! :smack :rofl

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
I have a 31-round Glock magazine if Bernie gets elected.
It looks ridiculous hanging out of the bottom of a Glock-26 (9mm). :)

It was something I purchased on a whim, and shot it maybe once.

As for the spare magazine thing, I generally keep one in the Jeep (to fit the Glock-19 & -26).
Now whether I could ever get to it if it were truly needed...?

And as previously mentioned, the +1 in the barrel.
You have A 31-round mag?!? ;)

Rookie! I've got a "few" of the 31-rd 9-mm mags (which are actually 33-rd with the +2 bases) and a few 22-rd .40-cal mags.

A while back, I finally did a magazine inventory.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is it possible to load a pistol with let say 15 rounds, rack the slide to put one in the chamber, then take out the magazine and put an extra round in the magazine making it 16? Is it safe?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts