Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that Glock has had a 10mm for some time but now S&W has one, Sig just came out with one and I think Springfield too. Is this cartridge becoming more popular and could it be a good HD or carry cartridge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,435 Posts
Does seem to be coming back a bit.
Unless you get full power loads it’s not much more powerful than .40 S&W. In a full power load it would make a good self defense round but it’s quite snappy.

·
Registered
15,358 Posts
I've got a P80 frame destined to become a 10-mm some day. Also one for .45-ACP. They are the same model frame: "PF45."

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have never shot a 10mm but they look interesting. Mostly stuck with 9mm. I have a friend in CT who is an ex Leo that has a Glock 20 and loves it.

·
Registered
15,358 Posts
I have never shot a 10mm but they look interesting. Mostly stuck with 9mm.

If I recall, I fired @7.62Kolectr's 10-mm a few months ago. I don't recall which kind of ammo was loaded. But, it was definitely not objectionable to shoot.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
I bought one of the XD(m) 4.5 15 round mag 10mm pistols a few years ago ago to hunt with, and their newer XD(m) Compact (3.7” barrel/slide) that comes with 12 round mags for carry, a couple months ago. I carry it with a tee shirt for a cover garment; though I did take off the magwell during its initial cleaning before I shot it. I found it unnecessary on a double-stack pistol.
Both have decent triggers and are quite accurate.

Air gun Trigger Wood Grey Gun barrel
Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Reactions: joecarry

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
How is the recoil on the compact?

Not bad at all; but I’m not at all recoil sensitive. I hunted with .44 mag handguns with hot loads for quite a few years in the past. I’ll say it’s not as strong a recoil impulse as shooting full house .357 magnum ammo out of a J-frame snubbie.

When I first shot the compact; I shot two stages at IDPA practice with it, then shot a 2X4 piece laying on the back berm @15-20 yards away. The 10mm knocked that wood a good four feet higher up on the berm.
The loads I shot that day were Sig 180 gr jhp at 1250 fps for 624 ft/lbs of energy.
I have some Double Tap 10mm that runs over 1500 fps that Shark 1007 gave me; but I’m saving that for the right occasion. Buffalo Bore makes some hard cast LP ammo that’s supposed to penetrate 37” through “muscle, bone, and sinew.” Beyond hunting in Alaska or Africa, that’s probably not something I need; but I want to get some anyway!

·
Registered
18,435 Posts
If I recall, I fired @7.62Kolectr's 10-mm a few months ago. I don't recall which kind of ammo was loaded. But, it was definitely not objectionable to shoot.
Yes you did. All steel full size govt model 1911 definitely helps.
Ammo we shot had 624ft lbs of energy. Thats moderate 10mm.
There are some that are around 700ft lbs or more. As I mentioned though most 10mm loads these days are not much if any more than .40 S&W. Most of the plinker 10mm is basically the same power and around 450-500ft lbs.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Glock 20 is a good choice for a 10mm pistol.

As has been said, power of the ammo varies.
10mm Auto Self-Defense Ammo Ballistic Gel Tests - LuckyGunner.com Labs
Glock 20 with a 4.6'' barrel
Federal 180 Hydra-Shok is loaded like a 40 S&W - 1,002 fps - 401# KE
Hornady 180 XTP has a bit more 1,158 fps - 536# KE
Hornady 155 XTP @ 1,344 fps - 622# KE is no slouch

And then there is this:
Underwood 180 Gold Dot 1,328 fps / 705#

Reactions: 7.62Kolectr
1 - 12 of 12 Posts