Florida Concealed Carry banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16,899 Posts
The gel tests and the difference between the two calibers, 10mm and 9mm are pretty dramatic and impressive.

The wound cavity from 10mm is pretty impressive.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The gel tests and the difference between the two calibers, 10mm and 9mm are pretty dramatic and impressive.

The wound cavity from 10mm is pretty impressive.
While gel testing is interesting real world results are what matters. As Ellifritz showed is in the real world the stats that he compiled over 10 years from 380 up to 44 mag the results are statistically virtually the same.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
30,165 Posts
Not sure if this question is addressed to me..?

But I had selected (for all my Glocks): Speer Gold Dot (# 23617).
9mm Luger+P, 124 grain, Gold Dot Hollow Point

Link: Buy Gold Dot Handgun Personal Protection for USD 35.99 | Speer

Manufacturer's spec's are for a 2-inch barrel: (My smallest Glock has a barrel length of 3.43")
Muzzle velocity: 1220 fps (1146 @ 25 yds, 1085 @ 50 yds)
Energy (ft. lbs.): 410 @ muzzle, 362 @ 25 yds, 324 @ 50 yds)
0.8" bullet drop @ 50 yards (when zeroed for 25 yards).

My research led me to believe that anything under about 900 fps @ the target yields hollow-point that either won't fully open or may not open at all.
At that point, it's just a standard full jacket round, and could over-penetrate.

EDIT: It also says "#1 Choice of Law Enforcement" right on the box, so I can confidently claim I'm using ammo no more deadly than the police use.
---
Now prior to switching to Speer, I was using:
Remmington "Ultimate Defense" (Model# CHD9MMBN), 124 grain, BJHP
But they had a relatively low muzzle velocity (only 1020 fps, even tested with a longer barrel), and they got some bad press from some YouTuber enthusiasts out there.
Plus, they became hard to find anyway.

Thankfully, other than the requisite range check-outs (to make sure they feed and shoot), I've never had to fire a hollow-point round in personal defense.
Or any round for that matter!!!
I think you were being ribbed for the first sentence of post #6. ;)

·
Registered
16,899 Posts
While gel testing is interesting real world results are what matters. As Ellifritz showed is in the real world the stats that he compiled over 10 years from 380 up to 44 mag the results are statistically virtually the same.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Why you gotta be such a buzzkill? Probably the life of the party aintcha? 😂

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Even the FMJ ammo i shoot out of my 1911s has 624ft lbs of energy.

That’s a huge increase over most 9 and 40 loads.
It damn sure is. It is for .45acp loads too.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
If you are attacked by a gel block, clearly 10 mm will protect you more efficiently.
LOL
I have a 10MM 1911. Just to say I have the caliber. I carry .40 & always have. I like bigger calibers for 1 reason. Barrier penetration. As anyone that took FOF or classes shooting out of cars would agree, windows or barriers can shoot your shot placement to hell.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My Glock 29 has an 5/8” extended KKM match barrel that I carried in Vermont while hiking. Rotated with my 5 shot 3 “ Taurus .44 magnum. Nothing wrong with horsepower.

·
Registered
55,434 Posts
Not just poking holes though. The hydrostatic shock in bodies which are mostly liquid is greater.
Hydrostatic shock is not present in SD pistol calibers. 2K fpe is required for H shock to be present.

·
Registered
55,434 Posts
When San Jose PD decided to carry the 147 grain Winchester Ranger T, their first six shooting with tha load out of their G17's produced 6 dead perps one COM round was all that was necessary.

A one shot stop produced by any other caliber or specific load will NOT have been any more effective. LOL

FPE is not a deciding factor in stopping BG's. The lowly 45acp low pressure 230 ball had a hell of a track record in WW2, and ever since. 320 fpe seems adequate enough in the real world

21 - 36 of 36 Posts