Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perusing listings/LGS sites/etc and I am seeing 10mm Glocks flying off the shelves within days of being placed out. Popular caliber these days it appears. I don't know much about this caliber, why are they selling so fast? That much better than 9mm or .40 in certain circumstances?

·
Registered
16,899 Posts
Yes. Some 10mm loads are quite powerful. Underwood and Buffalo Bore make some rounds that are close to if not over 700ft lbs of energy. Friend of mine elsewhere made a shot on a deer last year at about 80yds and it dropped in its tracks. Wouldn’t try that with 9 or 40.

·
Registered
169 Posts
It depends on what you are shooting. The stats say no more effective than a 9mm for people.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,899 Posts
It depends on what you are shooting. The stats say no more effective than a 9mm for people.

Even the FMJ ammo i shoot out of my 1911s has 624ft lbs of energy.

That’s a huge increase over most 9 and 40 loads.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you you look at the Ellifritz study and believe it (I do) calibers from 380 to 44 mag produce similar end results. 3 or less shots to stop the threat

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
^ This.
Compared to rifles or shotguns (which I realize is not the thrust of this thread), all common handgun calipers are basically the same.
So, I don't get too worked up over things like 9mm vs. 45ACP.
There are differences - yes, but also other things to consider (such as magazine capacity, concealment concerns, etc....)

Of particular importance is making sure whatever round you are using (if a hollow point) has enough muzzle energy to reliably open up the petals when hitting the bad guy / assailant, etc...
I spent a good amount of time researching this topic for my Glock-26 (9mm), which has a pretty short barrel.
The smaller the barrel length, the less muzzle velocity is produced (all things being equal.)

I finally decided upon ammo made by Speer (hollow-point), but I would have to go get the exact model number.
It's very hard to find these days. (which isn't saying much).

The beauty of it is that (hopefully?) I can use that exact same Speer round in my longer barrel length Glocks (G-19, G-17).
My calculus on that is that if the round develops enough velocity in a G-26, it will be even more in the G-19/17 -- and not so much more that the round passes through without opening at all.

I guess the takeaway (for noobs, and I don't mean that in a bad way) is to make sure to select the proper ammo for the intended use, particularly with shorter barrel handguns, where "petal-opening" velocity is a real concern.

EDIT: I should probably add, I wouldn't carry a .380 or 22LR for personal defense.
The .380 seems underpowered to me, and the rim-fired 22LR cartridge just isn't reliable enough (and is even more whimpier than the .380)
So, take my comment above with a 9mm being the baseline. (My experience with revolver cartridges is also limited, but even here, I don't think the differences are all that amazing - when there are other, more practical considerations at hand. See above.

·
Registered
16,899 Posts
There’s no replacement for shot placement
Of course.
But still kinetic energy in some 10mm loads is far ahead of most 9 and 40 rounds. All I’m trying to say.
10mm is quite versatile in the sense that you can get loads that are no more powerful than your average 40 but also get ones that are almost double. It’s like the .38/.357 of auto calibers

·
Registered
169 Posts
Of course.
But still kinetic energy in some 10mm loads is far ahead of most 9 and 40 rounds. All I’m trying to say.
10mm is quite versatile in the sense that you can get loads that are no more powerful than your average 40 but also get ones that are almost double. It’s like the .38/.357 of auto calibers
I'm absolutely certain that on big game a 10mm is far more effective than a 9mm.
Humans are structurally different and psychologically different than big game.

·
Registered
16,899 Posts
I'm absolutely certain that on big game a 10mm is far more effective than a 9mm.
Humans are structurally different and psychologically different than big game.

Properly placed I still think 624ft lbs of energy will have a much greater effect than 324ft lbs?

·
Registered
21,080 Posts
Of course.
How much energy does it take to poke a hole in a vital organ?...shot placement or multiple placement is key...I'm not interested in the bigger hole theory...

·
Registered
16,899 Posts
How much energy does it take to poke a hole in a vital organ?...shot placement or multiple placement is key...I'm not interested in the bigger hole theory...
Not just poking holes though. The hydrostatic shock in bodies which are mostly liquid is greater.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
What brand of handgun caliper do you recommend?
Not sure if this question is addressed to me..?

But I had selected (for all my Glocks): Speer Gold Dot (# 23617).
9mm Luger+P, 124 grain, Gold Dot Hollow Point

Link: Buy Gold Dot Handgun Personal Protection for USD 35.99 | Speer

Manufacturer's spec's are for a 2-inch barrel: (My smallest Glock has a barrel length of 3.43")
Muzzle velocity: 1220 fps (1146 @ 25 yds, 1085 @ 50 yds)
Energy (ft. lbs.): 410 @ muzzle, 362 @ 25 yds, 324 @ 50 yds)
0.8" bullet drop @ 50 yards (when zeroed for 25 yards).

My research led me to believe that anything under about 900 fps @ the target yields hollow-point that either won't fully open or may not open at all.
At that point, it's just a standard full jacket round, and could over-penetrate.

EDIT: It also says "#1 Choice of Law Enforcement" right on the box, so I can confidently claim I'm using ammo no more deadly than the police use.
---
Now prior to switching to Speer, I was using:
Remmington "Ultimate Defense" (Model# CHD9MMBN), 124 grain, BJHP
But they had a relatively low muzzle velocity (only 1020 fps, even tested with a longer barrel), and they got some bad press from some YouTuber enthusiasts out there.
Plus, they became hard to find anyway.

Thankfully, other than the requisite range check-outs (to make sure they feed and shoot), I've never had to fire a hollow-point round in personal defense.
Or any round for that matter!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts