Florida Concealed Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Changes to Florida's Laws?

6K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  edgehill 
#1 · (Edited)
I live in Canada, and I am a legal gun owner. I have vacationed in the US many times, and have always dreamed of being able to carry. I've had several Canadian friends who've had CCWs, and have carried in the US over the last 20 years, but I just got my RPAL in 2016. I bought my first gun, a P226, the day after Trudeau got elected. I had to console myself somehow. I can't think of a better way.

About 10 years ago there was some violence in Florida, and some Germans were killed, or maybe just shot. Anyway, Florida responded by issuing CCWs to any foreigner so they could protect themselves. Correct me if I make any errors here. I'm going by memory. Last week I started looking into what CCWs I can have (not the first time, but laws change), and I found out NH will send me one in the mail. About 23 states honor the NH CCW, but not Florida.

I thought maybe that's because Florida issues their own, but then I checked the laws, and found out you have to be a US resident in order to have a Florida CCW. So I guess there was a backlash against more liberal laws from years back. Very sad. I just talked to the agricultural dept. that issues the licenses and told them I won't be vacationing in Florida. My wife and I love the states that will honor a NH CCW, so we'll go to Indiana again, or Pennsylvania, or one of the other states. We love Tennessee too, so maybe we'll go back to Gatlinburg.

Can someone here give me a little history on Florida's CCW laws? What have I missed over the last few years? And what is the pro-gun movement doing to change the laws? I would love to go to Florida again, but with everything the other states have to offer, in addition to allowing me to carry, there is just so much more to see and do. I don't need Florida. If things change, I'll be back in a heartbeat.

Thank you.

See less See more
#2 ·
http://www.psp.pa.gov/firearms-information/Pages/Carrying-Firearms-in-Pennsylvania.aspx and http://codes.findlaw.com/pa/title-18-pacsa-crimes-and-offenses/pa-csa-sect-18-6109.html I do not know where you got your information that you can get a Pennsylvania Concealed Weapons license ( or in any state) being a Canadian resident...... it sure is not anywhere in the laws of Pa pertaining to obtaining a license. Several States issue Multi-State, Non-Resident CCW Permits that have no State residency requirement and may be obtained by any legal resident of the United States [that is not restricted from Gun possession or ownership].

PS....News Flash>>>>Florida does not need you, we have enough PITA tourists from our our country to deal with.

#3 ·
This is the only overview that I can find concerning Canadians entering the US with firearms.

It does not look like Florida is your problem. It looks like you are prohibited from importing a firearm by US Federal law.

I don't know anything about immigration law, I just did a google search to try and help you with any information that I could find. I didn't find much.:dunno

http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the...ting-firearms/bringing-firearms-into-the-u-s/

#5 ·
I am not aware that Florida EVER issued CCW licenses to Canadians (or any other non-U.S. resident). Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't recall ever hearing that. For that matter, I'd be VERY surprised that ANY U.S. state would issue a CCW to a Canadian / non-U.S. resident or citizen. How would they conduct the background check??

Again, maybe I'm wrong. But, I doubt it. :)

#7 · (Edited)
Stay home and just send some of that Canadian $$$$$$$ to Florida.
I'm sure you can carry your gun concealed all over Canada.
We get a lot of Canadians at the gun range I go to. They rent guns and really enjoy a day of shooting because they don't own a gun in their country because it is so difficult to jump through the hoops to even posses a handgun.
I have been in Florida for 40 years and never ever remember Florida or any other state allow a foreigner to carry a concealed weapon of any kind.
I do remember the German lady killed, She was in the very worse part of Miami and she was not the only foreign person robbed or killed in that city at that time.
Hell, Those people in that part of poop city rob and kill each other. Stay out of Miami and Jacksonville and you will be fine without your gun.

Ronnie

#8 ·
Here is a thread from several years ago about Canadians getting CCWs for Florida: http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...s/20901-canadians-get-ccw-rights-florida.html

There is a similar thread from the USA Carry forum about Canadians having CCWs for Florida, but it was from 2009. A lot has changed since then.

As I said, I have had several Canadian friends who have had CCWs, and have carried in the US. The ATF provides a process for us to carry guns into the US. There is a man who lives in Sarnia, Ontario, who runs an IDPA range outside of Port Huron, Mich.. I have a few Canadian friends who compete in 3 gun at that range. Also, Canadians hunt in the US all the time. The Canadian who taught our firearms license class has competed in Florida many times.

Florida now has the requirement of US citizenship for a CCW, but NH does not, and 23 states recognize the non-resident CCW. I never said I was going to try to get a Pennsylvania CCW. Pennsylvania is one of the states that recognize the NH non-resident CCW.

I guess I shouldn't expect anyone to be familiar with laws that don't apply to them, but I remember when you lost the OC battle. Maybe the non-resident clause was part of that bill.

#9 ·
I guess I shouldn't expect anyone to be familiar with laws that don't apply to them, but I remember when you lost the OC battle. Maybe the non-resident clause was part of that bill.
Really, dude? You're going to go there??? Let me grab my popcorn. :popcorn

#11 ·
Yeehaaaa! This is awesome.

#12 ·
Uh, I issue the required paperwork to allow Canadians to bring their firearms in using the "Form 6" from the ATF (or whomever handles it this month.)

They need to do something up there but they do need my list of scheduled events that they will be attending and then they can legally bring their firearms into the country.

Happens all the time, especially "in season".

AD

#17 ·
Maybe it WAS that Canadian on FB...

#18 ·
I live in the Clearwater area and we get a lot of canadians here in the winter and I wish they would all just stay home.

#19 ·
To most of you, my first post had nothing rude or unfriendly at all, and I was met with a lot or rudeness before my second post, so I am not the turd here. Look in the mirror. My mistake was thinking imbeciles would have accurate information, and I don't care if I last long here, because you don't even know your own gun laws. It's pretty funny when a Canadian knows more about US gun laws than stupid Americans who carry every day. Go back and read the rude posts right after my first post. You have some real a,s.s,h.o.l.e.s in this forum. Next time maybe try being friendly from the start, and you won't end up with hostility responding to your hostility.

And concerning Canadians with CCWs, one friend at work, not a dual citizen, was part of a group of gun nuts who put their money together and flew a Utah CCW instructor into Ontario to teach them the course. They all got Utah CCW permits, and used them in whatever states honored the Utah permit. I don't know what state permit my other friends have their's from.

After those Germans were shot, a politician was all over the news telling people who wished to vacation in Florida that they could get a CCW when they visited. I remember it specifically. It was a legislative provision which was a kneejerk reaction to the shooting.

#21 ·
Eat **** and bark at the moon

#23 ·
Sorry, that was a misstatement on my part while analyzing something else. The language is "s a resident of the United States and a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident alien of the United States, as determined by the United States Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services". So your friend with a green card must fall under the "permanent resident alien" part. Thanks for the catch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.