Florida Concealed Carry banner

Out of State Driver License Revoked...

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  FNS-40 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I searched the forums for similar circumstance but came up empty...

I have an individual living in FL for several years, 8+ years, that had his driving license revoked in Mass. which has been reciprocated in FL as he cannot obtain a FL driver license. The gentleman is inquiring if he will be able to obtain his FL CC Permit... Any direction to the legalities is appreciated.

Thank you,
Jim

#2 · (Edited)
According to the Dept of Agriculture website, a state issued Florida ID card is acceptable.
https://www.freshfromflorida.com/Di...Apply-for-or-Renew-a-Concealed-Weapon-License
However, an ID is only part of the requirements. He will also need to show he completed an approved firearms course and if the loss of license included arrests or convictions of a crime, court documentation will also be required.

I am not a lawyer

#3 ·
Welcome to FCC, SodaJim! :wave

You really need to post you're own Introduction thread to FCC! So I would suggest that you please go to the Introduce Yourself section of The Front Office and start your very own introduction thread. With your own introduction thread, you'll find the rest of the FCC membership will chime in to properly welcome you to the forum, too! By doing that, you'll soon find there's lots of great information and help to be had from the members here with your question.

Good luck! :grin

#7 ·
^^^Exactly! You have 30 days to change your license and plates once you move here........

#11 ·
I have been told the gentleman had his DL revoked in Mass. several years ago, unsure of time frame. I have been lead to believe the license revocation may have been alcohol related. When he relocated to FL approx. 8 years ago, apparently, Florida DMV honored out-of-state revocation and he cannot obtain a FL DL. All the years I have know him, his wife or someone else drives him to/from work and anywhere else... He did get arrested for disorderly conduct while intoxicated out front of his home a few years ago...
My concern is this guy can obtain a carry permit or worse yet, be allowed to purchase a firearm with his alcoholic problematic past!

#16 ·
He did get arrested for disorderly conduct while intoxicated out front of his home a few years ago...
My concern is this guy can obtain a carry permit or worse yet, be allowed to purchase a firearm with his alcoholic problematic past!
Exactly!
We'll be seeing him on Live PD soon.
I'm all for constitutional rights, but some guy waving a gun around on his front porch while drunk will have the PD visiting him soon.

#12 · (Edited)
It take some pretty serious repeat offences to get a 5+ year suspension. Normally that may offences becomes a criminal violation and possibly a felony.

Without knowing more I don't know how you would report his attempt to acquire a firearm or a licence unless you somehow knew he was a prohibited person due to a felony.

You may be able to do some research if you knew what county he previously living in. Most of these type of records are kept by the county clerk of the court.

You may want to ping your county clerk of court records to see what mischief he has gotten himself into since moving to Florida. Some drunks like to beat on those around them. Look for a misdemeanor DV.

#13 · (Edited)
I still have every ID i lived in without the cut like they do to people. I have them because I still visit the other states and stay there over a month. My mother took 2 years because she had medical problems after she retired as teacher in NY.

Also Iv know people who never changed to another state because of health benefits like medicaid. They need it to get there meds and doctor visits. It took me 4 months to get my FL and I just did it because i wanted the CCW while here. But others keep it because they have a house in another state, car insurance is cheaper in there original state. The list goes on and it don't mean he is doing anything bad or illegal! As people know if you are really sick and you have FL insurance its time to plan a funeral lol Its so freaking hard to get the right med insurance here and I know for one. NYC has the best and I have to give them credit for that at least lol other than that "Fire in the Hole" with NYC lived there all my life. I know just visit fam and friends every 2-3 months

#14 ·
Also suspended/revoked licenses will not effect your application. It didnt do it for me and mine was suspended in NY while I was doing my CCW here.

Just go to DMV or what ever they are call here in FL and get one but say you lost your original out of state lol you will need more points to verify but you will get it and have your other state as a back up incase anythng goes wrong or you want to move back to your original state.

#15 ·
Keeping an out of state DL would be legal if the person was military, a legal resident of another state (and the DL was from that state), and stationed in FL under orders. If they simply moved, no.

A lot is going to depend on the "why" behind the loss of MA license. If it was, for example, a suspension for failure to pay excise tax, that won't impede a FL CWFL. If it's for moving violations, maybe. If it's unpaid moving violation fines after a certain period or if court dates were missed, it very likely could impeded the process.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.