Florida Concealed Carry banner

Otanashi Noh Ken Williams/CRKT

5K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  brownie 
#1 ·
My very first thread, here it goes...

I absolutely love my Otanashi Noh Ken. Price, quality and so on - love it. I reckon some here have one as well and love it as much as I do.

Having had some guys moseying up on me, too close to my strong side and carrying open with my G-license - it occurred to me that my CRKT folder is also on the right, in my belt.

It is not easy to get to it, much less open it - when protecting my sidearm with the entirety of my right elbow, resting on the butt of my weapon. Which is what I do, when I feel some guy getting too interested in my 1911.

Now I wonder if it would make sense to petition CRKT to come out with a Otanashi Noh Ken lefty version. Maybe if a good number of actual customers come together, it would inspire them to make a run.

Lefty folders have been discussed on forums, I know - but I would really like this particular folder as an ambi or outright lefty version...

If someone here knows of an alternate folder in the same vein like the Otanashi I would appreciate the input.

See less See more
#2 ·
You might want to check the manual that came with it. From what I found online the blade has a reversible clip.

The Otanashi has a reversible pocket clip that is flush with the pommel. It sits deeply in the pocket and the slender profile does not give away 4.52 inches of blade. The 16th century blade profile the Otanashi inherited was designed to penetrate armor. The 21st century version is a modern version that can challenge some modern armor.
https://www.military1.com/products/...-otanashi-noh-ken-brings-intangible-mystique/

#3 · (Edited)
A pic would be helpful. Im a fan of the CRKT M16 folder with the index finger flipper open bump. They also open with a flip of the wrist (brownie method) easily. Kit Carson died last year but they still make the classic version in the medium size seen here. They have a larger size with the new auto lock which makes the knife a virtual non collapsible knife. Amazon sells this classic for $55.00. The larger version is about the same price. These also have the reversible clip for either hand
Knife Blade Tool Utility knife Cutting tool

Just checked the above video, NICE!!! I see another knife in my future!!

#6 ·
Just curious what makes your folder a "righty?" Is the blade and/or handle not symmetric, except for which side the clip is mounted? :dunno

I've not seen a folder that was "handed" except for the mounting of the clip, and usually reversible. For example, my Benchmade Griptilian folder is completely symmetric and the clip, which comes from the factory mounted for carry on the right, is completely reversible to make it a "lefty," which is exactly where I've carried my folders for years; bladed on non-shooting hand side.

#10 ·
Exactly. No fine motors skills needed and no weak side either :grin

....from phone

#11 ·
^^^^
Best solution and the choice of many here! :2thumsup

#12 ·
Thanks a lot for all the help, I do appreciate it. Just got home from another 14 hours out, but what's another half hour - have to respond to the thread :)

The fixed blade has come to mind to me as well, can never have enough knives...The Sakimori would be nice, but my better half would use it on me were I to go ahead and spend another 300 on a blade...

The "handling" issue I guess is probably doable, it is amazing how one gets used to handle a folder one way and never another, so I'll reverse the clip and practice a while "drawing" left and opening. Closing it (and operating the lock on it) will not matter that much in a worst case scenario, God forbid.

As for the statues I would think I'm covered under the CCW and G-license but I'm sure Brian B. has an answer for that.

Thanks again for the advice, I'll update my experience with the left hand in a couple of days...

#13 ·
I believe the G-license only covers you while working, and the CCW would still subject carriage of the "weapon" to the list of prohibited places in F.S. 790.06(12)(a). That's the reason for pointing out that your 4.52 in. folding blade may not be considered a "common pocketknife." :grin

#14 ·
Thanks BeerHunter - am aware of that and believe you me, once off the clock I take great care to comply.
I try not to go to the post office or any such place without parking off of the actual property and patting myself down for good measure.
Someone observing me (not knowing the contents of my pockets) would think me mad....

#15 ·
:thumsup

#16 ·
There are some decent fixed blades under half that price... None of them with a good sheat so for me i add to the price, the panther Concealment dress...so i try to stay under 100 on the blade. Not disappointed yet. Something i cannot say for 50 dollar folders... Since one broke on me, i keep a lock-back endura just as utility support. While i trust cords and packages to it, dont trust my life on them... :dunno YMMV

....from phone

#18 ·
I have been carrying a knife in my right hand paoclet daily to get to a place of total comfort and dexterity. Not there yet but getting better.

#27 ·
:grin I thought u were going to burst my M16 bubble, but it was a pretty good review from you so I'm happy with my secondary knife. I really like the stealthiness of the flipper and on the mid sized which doesn't allow a reversible clip I was able to easily gravity open the blade , hiding it palm back, pointing to my elbow for quick deployment in this hand position ( forgot what it's called). I particularly like the knife for women who can use the flipper to deploy easily for self defense ( who don't have a lot of training).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.